Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breastfeeding & Work

Options
  • 13-05-2008 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am shortly going back to work and wish to continue breastfeeding my baby. I read a HSE document "Breastfeeding Support Network | Breastfeeding and Work" (http://www.breastfeeding.ie/work.asp) that states

"Because of this the Department of Health and Children encourages mothers to exclusively breastfeed for the first six months and to continue breastfeeding after that in combination with suitably nutritious solid foods until their babies are two years old or older. To help make this more achievable legislation has been put in place that entitles women in the workforce to breastfeeding breaks during their working day without loss of pay in order to facilitate the continuation of breastfeeding after the return to work following maternity leave."

There is no indication on this document as to the limits on the age of the baby. It seems to me to indicate that the mother can feed until the child is two if she wishes.

I checked out the official legislation (2004 amendment act) and it specifies that breastfeeding breaks, or a reduction of hours for a breastfeeding mother, must be provided for a period not exceeding 26 weeks from the date of confinement (i.e. six months).

As i have availed of the full (26 week introduced last year) maternity leave my baby is now older than six months. Does this mean that only people who do not avail of their full maternity leave entitlements are entitled to breastfeeding breaks:confused:

If anyone has any experience of this i would really appreciate some advise as i do not want to formula feed my baby and have always had difficulty expressing so that will not be possible for me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The breaks are usually for expressing and there is usually a fridge to store the milk in until the mother gets home.

I worked for two multinationals and they had a space set aside with a fridge for nursing mothers to use and they were given breaks to do so.

It seems that the guidelines on breastfeeding breaks were not amended when maternity leave was extended,
    you would need to talk to your employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 witchity

The building i work in would not have the facilities for me to express the milk, and as i have problems expressing (it would take me 30 mins to get 3 oz) it is of no use to me. I read that if the facilities arent there you can take the breaks together and start/finish work early in which to feed the baby.That would be fine by me buts its the legislation thats confusing. Can you still do it after the baby is 6 months old??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It will come down to the descretion of your company and your managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I would imagine in most workplaces there wouldnt be adequate facilities for a women to express, id say the toilets would be where most would have to go. Best to get onto the HR department though, sorry dont really know specifics of the legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Well, my parent's practice currently has two ladies recently returned from maternity leave. One of them is still breastfeeding and at the discretion of my parent's she returns to her mother's house (where the baby is looked after) at 11.45am and 3.15pm to feed her baby and express milk. This works handily as her mother lives approx. 10 minutes drive from the practice and so it is feasible. She wants to continue to do this until her child is 18 months and from what I gather my parents had to make a deal with her as per the legislation. There is no comfortable location for her to express so the next solution is for her to physically return home. I think you should talk to your employer, they might be helpful/flexible. GL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 witchity

Thanks for the replies. I'll get onto my HR dept so they can look into it a bit more. Apparently i'm the first woman ever to ask for it and where i work 90% of the staff are women!

Advertisement