Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best bank for online use (short rant inside)

Options
  • 13-05-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi folks, I recently moved to Ireland, which I find a great place to be by the way!

I guess this question has been answered a million times, I did search through the boards but as times change, I would like some up to date opinions.

(although I was aware of the rant/bitch/moan thread I decided to go for a new thread, just to get some opinions in one place)

As friends suggested I should stick with AIB, as it has a good online system that I will frequently use. So I did, I walked into a branch two weeks ago, passport, pps and stuff to open a current account. 'You will receive your details in the mail', they said so I left and waited.

Today I walk in a different branch to find the whereabouts of my account details. First shock, they can't actually do much because its a different branch. I am given a phone number, which is a call center, which I do call.

As I am a foreigner (but I've got perfectly good english I assure you) we go through the whole spell-your-name game, then your address. Anyway, she still couldn't find anything regarding my details but I'm being transfered to another dude, who still can't find any of my details.

The conversation really took off when he actually asked me if I could describe the person that took down my details in the bank. At first I thought this was a joke, then I decided to play along and give as much info as I could remember.

Being a guy myself couldn't recall much about another guy, I mean a woman would have more chances of a less vague description. Anyway, he took down my number and hanged up, promising to get back to me.

My thoughts are that I don't really want to do business with AIB, not after that ridiculous customer service. I know that people judge by the worst impression most of the time, I got a wrong impression the moment I set my foot in the door.

To sum things up, I want a bank that doesn't hide fees from me, clear and detailed statements, reliable online system as 99% of the time I will be dealing with them through their website (ideally I wouldn't mind not going into a branch ever again) along with a robust credit card that will be used frequently in shops and online.

Sorry for the lengthy post people..! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.halifax.ie/index.jsp?pID=94&nID=520

I use their current account and online banking, switched from Aib. They have a Visa debit card as the atm card which can be used worldwide or online. Their internet services are fairly good and they have the bonus of 10% and no fees. Also because the visa in Debit, the duty is €10 instead on credit cards being €30. Hope this is some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I've always found Bank of Ireland pretty impressive. I did bank with AIB and PTSB before (I also worked for PTSB which put me off them for life).

As you've had a particularly bad experience, other peoples' recommendations will be from their own good experience. They are much of a muchness most of the time, but like I said, I've always found Bank of Ireland much more amenable to me when I moved back from the UK, and not as rigid with their account operating requirements. PTSB wouldn't give me a debit card until I had 3 months worth of salary payments goine into the account (despite the fact I worked for them!) whereas BOI gave me one straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

chroma wrote: »
    Hi folks, I recently moved to Ireland, which I find a great place to be by the way!

I guess this question has been answered a million times, I did search through the boards but as times change, I would like some up to date opinions.

(although I was aware of the rant/bitch/moan thread I decided to go for a new thread, just to get some opinions in one place)

As friends suggested I should stick with AIB, as it has a good online system that I will frequently use. So I did, I walked into a branch two weeks ago, passport, pps and stuff to open a current account. 'You will receive your details in the mail', they said so I left and waited.

Today I walk in a different branch to find the whereabouts of my account details. First shock, they can't actually do much because its a different branch. I am given a phone number, which is a call center, which I do call.

As I am a foreigner (but I've got perfectly good english I assure you) we go through the whole spell-your-name game, then your address. Anyway, she still couldn't find anything regarding my details but I'm being transfered to another dude, who still can't find any of my details.

The conversation really took off when he actually asked me if I could describe the person that took down my details in the bank. At first I thought this was a joke, then I decided to play along and give as much info as I could remember.

Being a guy myself couldn't recall much about another guy, I mean a woman would have more chances of a less vague description. Anyway, he took down my number and hanged up, promising to get back to me.

My thoughts are that I don't really want to do business with AIB, not after that ridiculous customer service. I know that people judge by the worst impression most of the time, I got a wrong impression the moment I set my foot in the door.

To sum things up, I want a bank that doesn't hide fees from me, clear and detailed statements, reliable online system as 99% of the time I will be dealing with them through their website (ideally I wouldn't mind not going into a branch ever again) along with a robust credit card that will be used frequently in shops and online.

Sorry for the lengthy post people..! :(

And what's wrong that you couldn't go back to the branch where you opened your account considering you walked into same branch and opened an account? Would that not sound logical. All he was doing was trying to help and yes asking his description would have been a correct thing to do. At least he could get back to the person who you were speaking to from the start. Youse customers take the p1ss sometimes..... :rolleyes: It's no wonder bankers look p1ss off half the time......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH it sounds like they're trying to assist you.

It's not perfect, but at least they are doing something.

And as pointed out - why not go back to the source?

davton wrote: »
    http://www.halifax.ie/index.jsp?pID=94&nID=520

I use their current account and online banking, switched from Aib. They have a Visa debit card as the atm card which can be used worldwide or online. Their internet services are fairly good and they have the bonus of 10% and no fees. Also because the visa in Debit, the duty is €10 instead on credit cards being €30. Hope this is some help.

Can't you imagine the hoops you'd have to jump through to get an account with Halifax? http://www.halifax.ie/index.jsp?1nID=94&2nID=520&pID=527&nID=585
    I don't think this is a runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 chroma

Nothing wrong at all actually and I wish I could (and probably will) go into the same branch. It was nearby my work at the time and if the details had been mailed in timely fashion, I wouldn't be here asking for advice.

But my work isn't near that branch anymore and I did wait two weeks before enquiring the bank. The fact that the other branch couldn't help me is somewhat understandable, the fact that I went through three people in customer service (one in the branch and two on the phone, 15 minutes of me calling AIB and not the other way around) and still couldn't get an answer, is not.

If you think I'm taking the piss, I just expect the bank to do what it's supposed to do and in the end it's their loss, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

stepbar wrote: »
    Can't you imagine the hoops you'd have to jump through to get an account with Halifax? http://www.halifax.ie/index.jsp?1nID=94&2nID=520&pID=527&nID=585
    I don't think this is a runner.

Well i applied online, no hassle sent the details, never had to go near a branch, or had to deal with phone calls.Whole thing was done about 7-10 days. I lot of people seem to have a problem with Halifax,im going by actual experience

davton wrote: »
    Well i applied online, no hassle sent the details, never had to go near a branch, or had to deal with phone calls.Whole thing was done about 7-10 days. I lot of people seem to have a problem with Halifax,im going by actual experience

Not wanting to go over old ground but having to provide 5 pieces of documentation is ridiculus. I compare with my own bank, walk in off the street, 2 pieces of documentation and you have an a/c number in less than 20 mins. Anyhow, Halifax are looking for customers that have accounts elsewhere and have same for longer that 3 months. This chap's only after opening his a/c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 gazza110011

that since the beginning of banking you have always had to use the branch in which you open an account, it is just with today and computers they can look into other branches but everything will still go to your original branch in which you opened your account. They more than likely just misplaced the paper work, which lets face it happens from time to time.:cool:

Advertisement