Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors charges. Is this right?

Options
  • 13-05-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

I dont know whether or not to be annoyed about this, or whether it is common practice with GPs to charge in the following manner.

Basically, I made an appointment to see a GP in my town, went to see him, paid him 50 euro and took 2 days off work. I also got a prescription which cost me €40. He covered me to take the days with a cert.
    As it happens, 2 days later I lost the note, and I really needed it for work. I rang to ask if he would rewrite it for me, and he said no problem, drop in after 5pm.
    I arrived at 5pm, waited til 6.30 to see him, and then he scribbled up the note again for me. It took literally about 15 seconds. To my surprise he then asked for €30 to cover the cost of writing the note out again.

I know a mans time is valuable and all that, but that just seems greedy. I am not exactly wealthy, and that €30 was earmarked for other purposes.

Should I just shut up and accept thats the charge for being stupid enough to lose the cert, or do you think this is a bit of an excessive charge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Doctors can charge what they like... because you need the note again.

My doctor charges 40e to see him and 15e to write a note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

He probably gets a lot of people losing their scripts and so doesn't want to lose money by not charging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

if its a social welfare medical cert they can't charge you for it but if its a note written on their lettered paper then they can charge you what they like - some doctors do take advantage which is a shame as it ruins doctors reps for all doctors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Remember to claim back your medical expenses against tax. Keep all your reciepts until the end of the year and them make a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

why should doctors give their services for free? if you lost documentation given to you by a solicitor/accountant/whatever, you'd be charged for a replacement

• Advertisement
Advertisement