Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving house- moving primary school

• 13-05-2008 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in the parenting forum or here but I would like opinions please on when is the best time to move a child from one school to another?

I have recently become engaged and my fiancee lives in another county. The plan is to move to his house with my 9 year old daughter in the next 2-3 years. She is coming to the end of third class now and I think it might be best for her to finish primary school in our own town before moving to secondary school in my boyfriends town.

Or would I be better off moving her to fifth or sixth class in his town first in order to settle in and have some friends before going to secondary school?

I would be of the opinion to let her finish in her own primary school but a few of my friends have disagreed.

Any thoughts?

Can this be moved to parenting if I've posted in the wrong area please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Georgiana

School summer holidays anyway, end of year.

Have you discussed with your daughter at all? How is she reacting. If she is not so bothered I would go as soon as possible. Could you start visiting the new location gradually at weekends so that she might have a chance to get to know some kids before the big move?

Its going to be a big move for her one way or the other and my guess is the earlier the better. The move to secondary might be a big step anyway and it might be better to have friends in advance in the new location rather than have to cope with all the change together.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Thanks for response georgiana. I have discussed the idea of moving with my daugher a few times and she is very positive about the idea. We went to a memorial soccer match in my boyfriends village a few weeks ago and met some girls from the area and this has made her even more positive about the move.

I am now seriously considering moving her next summer when she finishes fourth class, that way she as fifth and sixth class to make friends before the move to secondary. No matter when we move I will worry about her- will she make friends, will she settle in? Still its probably easier for 9 year olds to make friends than 12 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Georgiana

Sounds like a good plan. I would also say it might be wise to get her established in the new place before the hormones of the teenange years start stirring and that can be as early as 10/11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

the secondary school will be in the new location, probably best that she goes there already armed with some friends, otherwise she would be the totaly new girl.

I'd say move at the end of next year (4th class) she can have a party at the end and all!!!

Also she has time to bed down and get to grips with the 5/6th class stuff.

Advertisement