Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy neighbours

Options
  • 12-05-2008 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

I am having problem with my neighbour. We live in a semi-detached house and the people next door have a gang of people around from time to time (ie. every few weeks, usually on a Saturday night, but can go for longer periods with no noise at all). They used to play music at first, but this stopped when I complained to them. However, even without music they are still loud. Groups of them in the back garden smoking until 4 or 5am or in the kitchen until similar times. Also, they can come home at 3am with a gang and stay up shouting and generally being loud to the point that we just cannot sleep.

Are we overreacting to this? My wife and I really cannot sleep when they get going. I have approached them again and the best I got was "point taken" after they said they were not causing any noise or that they should be able to have people around if they want (which they should, its just the noise that's the problem). I am not convinced that it will stop. We would rather stay on good terms with them, but we have limits!

What amount of noise would be considered too much?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

You decided to live in half a house with no control over who shares the other half. Now your are upset because your neighbours have parties on the very odd Saturday, without music till 4-5am.

You sound like a neighbour from hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Phaetonman wrote: »
    You decided to live in half a house with no control over who shares the other half. Now your are upset because your neighbours have parties on the very odd Saturday, without music till 4-5am.

Well if we could afford a detached house we would have got one!

I don't see how I'm the neighbour from hell. We've never done anything to disturb them. I have always approached them politely when complaining. When we have friends around they are gone by midnight. Admittedly this happens infrequently, but is it unreasonable to expect a night's sleep in our own house when we want?

Their back garden is like a jungle. We recently had a rat problem that I had to pay to have fixed, because the pest control guy couldn't say for sure whether the rat was attracted by anything in their garden as it was too difficult to see what could be hidden in the grass.

At a party they had before, my wife saw one of their friends in our back garden (she was at home on her own). On another occasion they had thrown rubbish over the fence into our garden (plastic cups, cigarette packets). Each of these were once offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Everyone should be able to live in their home,no matter where it is or if it is their own place or a rental,in peace and quiet at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Phaetonman wrote: »

What a load of crap. Drunk people, regardless of whether there is music or not, can be very, very loud. Nobody should have to listen to that until 4 or 5am. That's completely exessive. Fair enough they don't do it every weekend but if it's a case of when they do it the neighbours can't sleep then there is a complete lack of respect being shown.

Yeah how dare the OP expect his neighbours to show some consideration, I mean he did choose to live in a semi-detached house after all. :rolleyes:
    Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    At a party they had before, my wife saw one of their friends in our back garden (she was at home on her own). On another occasion they had thrown rubbish over the fence into our garden (plastic cups, cigarette packets). Each of these were once offs.

Once too many tbh. That behaviour is completely unacceptable and shows an enormous lack of respect. You do not walk into someone's private property like that, nor do you litter their garden because you or your guests are too lazy and ignorant to use a bin on your own property.
    emty wrote: »
    Everyone should be able to live in their home,no matter where it is or if it is their own place or a rental,in peace and quiet at any time.

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Environmental Health Department of the local council deal with loud and disturbing noise - so late night parties, building works etc. Unless you are in a large city, they usually only keep office hours. Sometimes there is a noise officer who works nights and will visit to check first-hand the complaint.

You report the complaint, the environmental health dept write to the source of the noise with a warning. They have powers to confiscate equipment or levy fines. The first warning does not identify you as the complainant (but they might figure it out since you have already tried the direct approach). If the warning has no effect, you are asked to keep a noise log - times of noise, duration, noise type - be descriptive here - can you identify the song, for example. I would start the log right away. If there is a pattern, the Noise Officer may arrange to visit and record the source personally. Also involve the Management company for the property or the landlord if you can find them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

I have moved in nearly a year ago to a new house. the new neighbours are here only a month or so. Now the problem is the walls are very thin apperently and we can here everything thats going on next door. the main noise is blazing arguments that they have. now i do not want to complain as i am slighlty embarassed for them. that i can hear this . but i need to do something as i had friends over and a row kicked off and i swear you could not have made the stuff up that they were screaming at each other.

So basically long story short is there a regulatory wall thickness between houses? and is there a polite way to ask someone when they are threathing to kill their spouse to kindly shut the **** up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭adam.number2

Maybe you could record them and playback at a later date with some volume!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 deecare

I live in an area across from a green, and we're cracking up from the constant noise from motor/quad bikes racing up and down. Whats the law on this kind of noise disturbance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You're not in Ashtown by any chance, deecare?

In any case, good luck trying to get the participants to cease. In many cases they are probably not meant to be riding bikes on the green at all, so laws as to the level of noise are of little relevance.

There are a lot of obnoxious people around. That, coupled with poor build quality, mean an awful lot of Irish people are suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sandysands

I have neighbours that have a pool and hot tub in their backyard. They aren't excessively loud but in the summer when I have my windows open, I can hear every word and just as I am dropping off to sleep, someone will laugh and then I am wide awake again. I don't want to be one of 'those' neighbours who are always complaining so I came up with this solution.

I have an iPod and a docking station with speakers, but any sort of stereo will do. I bought an hour long mp3 file online that is the sound of ocean waves breaking on shore. I put it on as loud as if I was in a beach cottage right on the beach and I go to sleep with it on. I loop it for as many hours as I think the party will last.

I haven't lost a nights sleep since.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

sandysands wrote: »
    I have neighbours that have a pool and hot tub in their backyard. They aren't excessively loud but in the summer when I have my windows open, I can hear every word and just as I am dropping off to sleep, someone will laugh and then I am wide awake again. I don't want to be one of 'those' neighbours who are always complaining so I came up with this solution.

I have an iPod and a docking station with speakers, but any sort of stereo will do. I bought an hour long mp3 file online that is the sound of ocean waves breaking on shore. I put it on as loud as if I was in a beach cottage right on the beach and I go to sleep with it on. I loop it for as many hours as I think the party will last.

I haven't lost a nights sleep since.

S.

Good one. You could end up with Tsunami-itus in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sandysands

What the heck is Tsunami-itis?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Edit: sorry for reviving this, but the topic is very close to my current situation, so didn't want to create a new thread.
    Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    I am having problem with my neighbour. We live in a semi-detached house and the people next door have a gang of people around from time to time (ie. every few weeks, usually on a Saturday night, but can go for longer periods with no noise at all). They used to play music at first, but this stopped when I complained to them. However, even without music they are still loud. Groups of them in the back garden smoking until 4 or 5am or in the kitchen until similar times. Also, they can come home at 3am with a gang and stay up shouting and generally being loud to the point that we just cannot sleep.

Are we overreacting to this? My wife and I really cannot sleep when they get going. I have approached them again and the best I got was "point taken" after they said they were not causing any noise or that they should be able to have people around if they want (which they should, its just the noise that's the problem). I am not convinced that it will stop. We would rather stay on good terms with them, but we have limits!

What amount of noise would be considered too much?

Sounds familiar! Did you ever get it sorted?
    sandysands wrote: »

I have considered this too, how can you loop it for X hours? Can't you just loop it continoulsy or not at all?

Advertisement