Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops from 1972 (McGanns and McGees)

Options
  • 13-05-2008 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Just wondered if anyone knows what street these shops were on, a lady on Flickr has asked me, thanks.
    Also if anyone knows the street where a tobaconist and coffee shop were next to each other. The coffee shop had brown tiles outside and advertised Morning coffee and bar-b-q.....long shot I know, but I know how good you lot are.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Did you mean to post a pic there Val?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I can't post a pic, as they aren't mine and I can't download them the lady has set them to private, just thought someone might know the names of the two shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Sorry can't help you here,wasn't born until 1989 and didn't move to Sligo till 1996 so I don't have a clue.
    Even I would like to find out now,good knowing a bit of history from the town.

Aah bobcar, you're only a young 'un....I wonder if these photos will show up:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/colleenm/2488072093/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colleenm/2488889506/

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

magnumlady wrote: »
    Aah bobcar, you're only a young 'un....I wonder if these photos will show up:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/colleenm/2488072093/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colleenm/2488889506/

Jeez I must be getting old but I think I can help:eek: The first one (McGanns and McGees) is definitely O'Connell St. McGanns was where either Bistro Bianconi or Easons is now and it was a fruit and veg shop - obviously McGees was next door. Not too sure about the 2nd one but I remember there was a tobaconist on Grattan st. where John Kent Sports is now - just not sure if there was a coffee shop next door - might've been though. Great photos though - I love looking at old photos!

Just had another look there - think McGanns is where Easons is now and McGees... is there a chemist there now?

• Advertisement

The first pic could be Castle Street too - Foleys side - Centra/Honey Pot. Possibly Centra as it was a restaurant/cafe before Morgan?

The second pic is possibly John Street - where Smyths Tobacconists was next door to the Four Lanterns?

I'm a blow-in so could be completely wrong.

Great photos though!

Edit: Sorry Bobcar, just seen now your sure of the first pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

The first pic could be Castle Street too - Foleys side - Centra/Honey Pot. Possibly Centra as it was a restaurant/cafe before Morgan?

The second pic is possibly John Street - where Smyths Tobacconists was next door to the Four Lanterns?

I'm a blow-in so could be completely wrong.

Great photos though!

Edit: Sorry Bobcar, just seen now your sure of the first pic.
    Firstly I'm not bobcar;) The first pic is definitely O'Connell St. - I actually remember being in that McGanns shop - it was run by a little old lady and it stank - half the fruit was rotten! I was born in '73 so it must've been there 'til at least the late 70s. You may well be right about the 2nd one being John St. - I vaguely remember a tobacconists there

daveboy01 wrote: »
    Firstly I'm not bobcar;) The first pic is definitely O'Connell St. - I actually remember being in that McGanns shop - it was run by a little old lady and it stank - half the fruit was rotten! I was born in '73 so it must've been there 'til at least the late 70s. You may well be right about the 2nd one being John St. - I vaguely remember a tobacconists there

I do apologise Mr Boy! :o

The tobacconists was here when I first came to Sligo in 2002, so it should be well remembered. Its been knocked now (I think) for that new development on the corner, but sometimes the tiles etc will survive on buildings that haven't been completly revamped. I need to print these off and go searching, I love that sort of stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

The first picture was in O'Connell street opposite Johnstons Court as alreasdy identified.

I think the second one could have been castle street. the Carlton cafe before it was renovated in the 70's, and it was the Abbey side of Keohanes.

It ysed to be a ladies clothes shop Morgan, I am not sure what it is now, possiblythe Centra.

Or the second photo could be the 4 lanterns and whites newsagent in johns Street. 9on reflection I think this is more than likely the place. The lantern in the photo is probably a giveaway.

In those days the lanterns was a sit down joint with no take away counter with the waiters in red jackets.

Very posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.flickr.com/photos/colleenm/2488072985/

just saw this one and is taken from the top of O'connell st, at GHQ and the lads are sitting on the flowerbed with the large tree. The red bricked building is the GPO telephone exchange and the shops are still there but running different businesses.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I knew that you'd know.
    I thought the one with the lads was John Street too, Whytes tobacconist maybe.
    I knew the O'Connell street one.
    I will let the lady know, I think she might have some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

dingding wrote: »
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/colleenm/2488072985/

just saw this one and is taken from the top of O'connell st, at GHQ and the lads are sitting on the flowerbed with the large tree. The red bricked building is the GPO telephone exchange and the shops are still there but running different businesses.

That car is going the wrong way :eek: :D

Deadly photos.
    The building in the backround is fairly modern for 1972, but that's Sligo for ya. CUTTIN' EDGE.

Have you anymore of these photos?
    They're really interesting.

Sadly they aren't my photos, but I think there are more of them.
    Its great to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

magnumlady wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I knew that you'd know.
    I thought the one with the lads was John Street too, Whytes tobacconist maybe.
    I knew the O'Connell street one.
    I will let the lady know, I think she might have some more.

As far as I remember there was also one in Castle Street where Morgan/Mary's/Keohanes is.
    The Cafe could be the Carlton Cafe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Great pics, Queen Meabh's grave on knockneara looks to be in a far better state of repair in 1972 than it does now and considering its over 5000 years old I hope we don't end up wrecking it over the next 20 or 30 years!

I love old photos you see of familiar places. Anyone ever see the black and white picture of the elephant trying to get in through a put doorway on the wall in the Belfry, it's a funny one.

Gillie wrote: »
    As far as I remember there was also one in Castle Street where Morgan/Mary's/Keohanes is.
    The Cafe could be the Carlton Cafe!

I wondered about that as well, wheres Shane Filan when you need him.:D

Havin a lie in - in his big nice house!

He's in New Zealand.

You say your you're from Sligo yet you don't know where Westlife are?
    Tut.

• Advertisement

MikeySligo wrote: »
    He's in New Zealand.

Tut.

Bit of a Fan/Stalker huh?;)

Just a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

MikeySligo wrote: »
    He's in New Zealand.

Tut.

Westlife are on the far side of the planet? I knew there was a good feeling around. I thought it was the weather, but it turns out it's the weight of shame lifted from the town.:rolleyes::D

By the way magnumlady, after looking through those amazing pictures I can tell you that Ransboro church is called "Our Lady, Star of the Sea". The cart in front of the truck is at Market Cross. I'm 99% certain that the kids going to school are outside Whyte's/Four Lanterns on John Street. The child sweeping is further up John Street at the alleyway to the Wine Street car park.

il gatto wrote: »
    Westlife are on the far side of the planet? I knew there was a good feeling around. I thought it was the weather, but it turns out it's the weight of shame lifted from the town.:rolleyes::D

Shame on you Mr Gatto.

I can't STAND Westlife bashing. Fair play to them I say.

sueme wrote: »
    Shame on you Mr Gatto.

+1

I really hope he's messin!

sueme wrote: »
    Shame on you Mr Gatto.

I spent 15 years learning to play guitar. I've bought hundreds of albums. I've studied the history of the greats. I love classical music. I see wonderful local musicians like Seamie O'Dowd and the like playing in tiny pubs for small fees. I see no point in giving approval to a bunch of talentless karaoki singers who "co-write" songs, because they happen to come from somewhere nearby. I know them. I know their limitations. They have none of the faculties or talents which a musician or performer needs. I don't employ a mechanic who can't fix a car. I don't go to a doctor who hasn't studied medicine. Something as wonderful as music shouldn't be degraded by being provided by Westlife and their ilk. Music has been a massive part of my life since I was 10 years old. That's why I have every right to "bash" what i see as debasement of the art for profit by people who wouldn't have made it as buskers if the whole industry wasn't corrupted by mangement and marketing to the extent where talent and skill is not a requirement any more.
    In fact, their lack of activity with regard to supporting local charity and very low heads throughout the cancer services campaign would lead me to add, they've done shag all for Sligo either. So apart from their considerable personal fortunes and the dirge which infiltrates our airwaves, their net benefit to music is zero and to Sligo is zero.

il gatto wrote: »
    I spent 15 years learning to play guitar. I've bought hundreds of albums. I've studied the history of the greats. I love classical music. I see wonderful local musicians like Seamie O'Dowd and the like playing in tiny pubs for small fees. I see no point in giving approval to a bunch of talentless karaoki singers who "co-write" songs, because they happen to come from somewhere nearby. I know them. I know their limitations. They have none of the faculties or talents which a musician or performer needs. I don't employ a mechanic who can't fix a car. I don't go to a doctor who hasn't studied medicine. Something as wonderful as music shouldn't be degraded by being provided by Westlife and their ilk. Music has been a massive part of my life since I was 10 years old. That's why I have every right to "bash" what i see as debasement of the art for profit by people who wouldn't have made it as buskers if the whole industry wasn't corrupted by mangement and marketing to the extent where talent and skill is not a requirement any more.
    In fact, their lack of activity with regard to supporting local charity and very low heads throughout the cancer services campaign would lead me to add, they've done shag all for Sligo either. So apart from their considerable personal fortunes and the dirge which infiltrates our airwaves, their net benefit to music is zero and to Sligo is zero.

They are not the only ones. If they found a way to make money out of what they do then good luck to them. Music is gone to sh*t as far as i'm concerned but what they do doesn't hurt me.

It would be of more benifit for our local reps. to "do stuff" for Sligo than Westlife.

I really think your being way too harsh!

Mr Gatto, if it has taken you 15 years to learn to play the guitar, then the term "flogging a dead horse comes to mind". :D

I don't agree with you resenting Westlife for their sucess. I don't like their music at all, but I see 4/5 lads who got a break and milked it. Fair play. The music industries failings/morals etc. are not their concern. When they were local lads doing their thing in St Annes 15 years ago, should they have been told "Lads, listen, ye're crap, don't be bothering with this"? They saw an opportuinity and took it, and fair play to them, they made millions.

Its not an argument about musical talent, that a whole different thread, its about financial success.

Throwing a few of those millions at Cancer Care for Sligo would be good, but again, its a whole different thread. Why aren't our government, whom we pay, doing it with our money?

• Advertisement

I made a gentle comment on the fact that they were in NZ. I was accused of bashing them. I explained why I think I can/should. It's art prostituted into profiteering with no merit musically. There's others at it, but they were the ones mentioned.
    You probably know my feelings as far as our elected representatives go, but seeing as they're determined to spite their mandate, and people are protesting, Westlife's media profile would gain some airtime. Surely not too much to ask. Maybe now that Bertie has sidled out the way Irish politions are allowed to when things go pearshaped, Nicky Byrne will "let" them show up at a rally.

Advertisement