Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops from 1972 (McGanns and McGees)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

il gatto wrote: »
    Maybe now that Bertie has sidled out the way Irish politions are allowed to when things go pearshaped, Nicky Byrne will "let" them show up at a rally.

I would actually agree with this point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I can't comment on that as it sounds too far fetched to be true.

I'm not having a pop at you Il Gatto, I just think that a lot of people from Sligo have a very negative attitude to Westlife, which I think sounds a bit like the old Irish "too big for his boots" mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

sueme wrote: »
    I can't comment on that as it sounds too far fetched to be true.

Not really. We had it with that guy in Roscommon this week who failed to turn up to a meeting about the Hospital there because he was to become a junior minister the next day so why not??

Anyway we are all banned now as we are wayyy off topic!:D

Gillie wrote: »
    Not really. We had it with that guy in Roscommon this week who failed to turn up to a meeting about the Hospital there because he was to become a junior minister the next day so why not??

To be fair, thats politics. Not some bloke in a boyband dictating what a very high profile group can or cannot support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Is it that they simply don't care? Are they so wealthy that they'd have their family in the Blackrock Clinic or the Mayo Clinic? I'd like to think they have a reason for not at least walking with the crowd or standing on the stage. Sligo doesn't produce many celebrities. If Sligo was Tuam, you'd think the Saw Doctors would show up. If Sligo was Donegal, you'd expect Wee Daniel. We expect nothing because nothing has ever been forthcoming.
    It's not begrudgery sueme. I'd love a Ferrari. I really would. My point is not that I SHOULD have one, but that if someone is due a fortune and a Ferrari from music, it should be the talented, diligent, creative ones. If Seamie O'Dowd, Steve Wickham or (God help me:D) Tabby made loads of money and drove around in a Ferrari, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. My issue is with the occupation at which their money was made. Without the slick promotion and behind the scenes politicing and machinations, they'd be nowhere (in music). If they'd become brickies, accountants or I.T consultants and became rich, then fair enough.

• Advertisement

My issue is with the occupation at which their money was made. Without the slick promotion and behind the scenes politicing and machinations, they'd be nowhere (in music). If they'd become brickies, accountants or I.T consultants and became rich, then fair enough.

I don't see the difference. They chose a business and are very sucessful in it.

This is so off topic I'm sliding off the edge of my laptop...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

I spent 15 years learning to play guitar. I've bought hundreds of albums. I've studied the history of the greats. I love classical music. I see wonderful local musicians like Seamie O'Dowd and the like playing in tiny pubs for small fees. I see no point in giving approval to a bunch of talentless karaoki singers who "co-write" songs, because they happen to come from somewhere nearby. I know them. I know their limitations. They have none of the faculties or talents which a musician or performer needs. I don't employ a mechanic who can't fix a car. I don't go to a doctor who hasn't studied medicine. Something as wonderful as music shouldn't be degraded by being provided by Westlife and their ilk. Music has been a massive part of my life since I was 10 years old. That's why I have every right to "bash" what i see as debasement of the art for profit by people who wouldn't have made it as buskers if the whole industry wasn't corrupted by mangement and marketing to the extent where talent and skill is not a requirement any more.
    In fact, their lack of activity with regard to supporting local charity and very low heads throughout the cancer services campaign would lead me to add, they've done shag all for Sligo either. So apart from their considerable personal fortunes and the dirge which infiltrates our airwaves, their net benefit to music is zero and to Sligo is zero.[/QUOTE]

+1
    They really havent used their clout to any type of potential it could have had. :( Non for profit does'nt seem to register.
    But perhaps this is another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I don't see the difference. They chose a business and are very sucessful in it.

They chose a seedy, low quality end of a business they were unqualified to partake in. They were picked up by Louis Walsh the way a builder gets a gang of labourers. It mattered naught whether they had any musical talent or ability. They were presented to the public with massive financial backing. Hype was "created". They got lucky in the way Lotto winners get lucky. There never had to gig the way a normal band does. They didn't have to record the way a normal band does. They never had to write songs the way a normal band does. There was no effort, no inspiration, no genius. There wasn't even a knack. As soon as Louis Walsh saw fit to make their day, they'd made it. Straight to the Point Depot in months. I hold them and their ilk in the very lowest regard in musical terms. The reason they couldn't make it stateside is the record labels were insulted when they did a "showcase" and they mimed. That sort of crap doesn't wash over there.

They chose a seedy, low quality end of a business they were unqualified to partake in. They were picked up by Louis Walsh the way a builder gets a gang of labourers. It mattered naught whether they had any musical talent or ability. They were presented to the public with massive financial backing. Hype was "created". They got lucky in the way Lotto winners get lucky. There never had to gig the way a normal band does. They didn't have to record the way a normal band does. They never had to write songs the way a normal band does. There was no effort, no inspiration, no genius. There wasn't even a knack. As soon as Louis Walsh saw fit to make their day, they'd made it. Straight to the Point Depot in months. I hold them and their ilk in the very lowest regard in musical terms. The reason they couldn't make it stateside is the record labels were insulted when they did a "showcase" and they mimed. That sort of crap doesn't wash over there.

+1 Doh! *

Ah not the miming crack as well.( Shane does be at that crack too! :rolleyes: )

*Its killing me to do it, :D

And it worked for them. Fair play I say. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

29w8v7s.jpg

And it worked for them. Fair play I say. Again.
    But at what cost?
    I cant support a mass produced product just because the product comes from Sligo! They are reinforcing a shallow market that was almost single handedly cynically produced by Louis Walsh. That band could have picked up anywhere in Britain. Its all about gloss, image and repackaging cover songs. Thats where Louis is a genius. Looks like they are going to keep knocking out the covers till they end up in a bar in Bolton. (robbie williams doing support! :D)
    Then I probably say fair play to them cos thats where they are best suited. ;):D

But what does this have to do with the price of eggs or shop fronts in Sligo?
    And why are we left home alone? :(

tuppence wrote: »
    But at what cost?
    I cant support a mass produced product just because the product comes from Sligo! They are reinforcing a shallow market that was almost single handedly cynically produced by Louis Walsh. That band could have picked up anywhere in Britain. Its all about gloss, image and repackaging cover songs. Thats where Louis is a genius. Looks like they are going to keep knocking out the covers till they end up in a bar in Bolton. (robbie williams doing support! :D)
    Then I probably say fair play to them cos thats where they are best suited. ;):D

But what does this have to do with the price of eggs or shop fronts in Sligo?
    And why are we left home alone? :(

But cost to whom? Teenage girls who haven't heard these songs before, have a disposable income, and enjoy it?

I don't "support" Westlife, but I think they are some local boys who did good. I really don't get why there is such a bad attitude towards them in Sligo. I don't think they deserve freedom of the "City", or to be blamed for any of the problems we have here, but I do think they deserve to be clapped on the back, as in "ya jammy git, fair play".

I agree Tuppence, where are Mammy and Daddy?

I agree Tuppence, where are Mammy and Daddy?

SShhhh. I think I heard something, pretend you are asleep.

zzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

peebles=jack and jones,meehans =cross sections and shoots would be behind the smiths truck, (think the guy carring the boxes behind the horse and cart is the smiths delivery man that lived near me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

The photo of Ransboro Church there is nice. It was my local church when I was younger. I think its mad that when the photo was taken back in '72 the primary school wasn't there. I think the photographer would be around about where the School hall is now. Its mad really.... Nostalgic or what

Advertisement