Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

did you buy a mobile home?

Options
  • 13-05-2008 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Thinking of buying a mobile home on a site in France as have been going there for a few years now and dont see myself and the family picking somewhere else in the near future.

Wondering has anyone done this and any advice on the pitfalls or benefits.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭shalom

Hi,
    Yes we bought a mobile home plot in south of France along with the mobile home. We are very happy with what we have and go there every year for the month of July. We have 3 kids. We are very happy with our set up .When we bought the mobile home was old but it did us for 2 years. We are hoping to change our mobile home this year. There is a regulation at our site that the mobile homes have to be changed every 20 years and I think that ours falls into this either this year or next. I know that on some sites they have to be changed every 5 years. We are hoping that once we get it changed we will rent out for the month of August and this will cover most of the fees for the campsite. The owners of the campsite take a 20% cut for this, which some people see as a lot but it means that we (or me) don't have to be trying to make sure that its left clean etc for the changeover. Some people consider it dead money as we will never own the plot and the mobile home only loses value, but when I looked into it it is what suited us best. I didn't want to get a house as I wanted to be able to get up in the morning and be able to see people and talk etc. i didn't want to be stuck at a house wondering what to do for the day etc. We are 500 mts from the beach also. It is a 3 star site which I like and has mostly French people staying there. also a few British who own and who have their families reared now. I wanted this also because I wanted our kids to talk French at every oppurtunity possible. There are only 150 vans on site so its not huge like others where there are 800 or more so its easy enough to look for the kids when they have gone exploring etc. They take French classes from a native speaker here in Ireland. One other thing that was important to me our site is covered in Trees and I love this as it keeps the mobile home cool during the night and day. also the kids don't have to put on lotion straight away when they get up. So far it has worked out very well for us and I hope it continues. If you need any more info don't hesitate to contact me.
    Regards,
    Shalom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

If you have kids to raise over the next few years a Mobile site is streets ahead of a House.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It depends if you can see youself going there time and time again. My family went camping in Wales, France, all around Ireland, etc. Great fun. I do know of one of my fathers mates who had a house up in Donegal. Near nowhere. Small village with a shop nearby. They liked it. Went there every summer. Rained 5 out of 7 days we stayed there :/

It depends if you are happy with going to the same place every year, or not. Check what's there to do locally, and if there's stuff to do in bad weather. My advice: rent a home, and see how it goes. If the kids are bored after day 2, it may not be a good idea, but if there still want to do more on the day you leave, it may be a keeper.

Advertisement