Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

xbox to 22" monitor help

• 13-05-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

righto, im off to germany for a few months and am leaving my gaming pc behind :(

my plan is to get an xbox (for gta4 :D:D:D) and also get this 22" monitor to hook it up to. now im a total n00b when it comes to hookin up one thing to another with different types of cables and crap... so can anyone tell me will this combo work together outta the box or am i gonna have to go get an aftermarket cable or adapter?...and if so, which one?...

(i dont really know what the story is with hdmi, 720p and all that. but i want the best i can get i suppose:rolleyes:, my laptop has hdmi input aswell, would be nice if i could hook the lappy up to the 22" for movies aswell.)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

This comes up a lot, someone should sticky it. You need a vga cable.
    I recommend this ebay seller.

http://tinyurl.com/6j53on

You then need to get one of these

adaptor.jpg
    Phono to stereo mini jack.
    Make sure its stereo, you can check by counting the rings on the connection. That one has two, so its stereo. Mono will have 1.

I believe this is included in the box if you buy the cable new.

You plug your L and R leads into that, and then the jack into the input on your speakers or soundcard, which ever is appropriate.
    If you have the right gear you could also use the optical output on the vga lead and use that to connect it to your system.
    Personally I have an Audigy 2 Platinum eX

audigyzs.l.jpg

So I plug mine into the first line in, if I were using optical I'd use the optical in to the left of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i've got the monitor you linked and its very good, i got an xbox last week and the next day ordered a ''VGA adaptor cable'' off ebay for 7 euro + 6 delivery. brand new. very happy with it. enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Right, That Doesnt Seem To Be Everything Tho

what im getting altogether now is as follows; (hope its everythin)

xbox + gta4
    already have this
    speakers
    stereo adapter
    stereo coupler
    hdmi to dvi

really hope thats everythin....god this is expensive...just for gta 4 lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Why not? Connect the VGA cable to your xbox, connect the VGA connector to your 22" screen, connect the 3.5mm stereo jack to your sound system.

feylya wrote: »
    Why not? Connect the VGA cable to your xbox, connect the VGA connector to your 22" screen, connect the 3.5mm stereo jack to your sound system.

ah, sorry... you replied before i finished post...but em,does xbox has vga input? oh... thats handy, scratch the whole hdmi thing so

jus the following so;

xbox + gta4
    already have this
    speakers
    stereo adapter
    stereo coupler

• Advertisement

You seem to be missing the most important part.

How are you going to connect it to the monitor without the vga lead , it only comes with a component cable.
    The 360 has a propriatary video output (not counting HDMI), you cant just plug any old lead into it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

You need to buy the cable linked to in the second post in this thread. That'll come with the 2phone - 1 stereo connector (at least my one did)

TomCo wrote: »

How are you going to connect it to the monitor without the vga lead , it only comes with a component cable.
    The 360 has a propriatary video output (not counting HDMI), you cant just plug any old lead into it.

aright...seriously, ive no idea what that means, can you throw up a link please to what im missing?

i linked one of those, in fact i already have one of those....thats sorted. im hus confused on how to hook up the video feed

i linked one of those, in fact i already have one of those....thats sorted. im hus confused on how to hook up the video feed

official_xbox_360_vga_hd_av_cable_360.jpg

One of these?
    Xbox360 VGA lead. Thats what you need to connect your xbox to your monitor.

Now Im confused as to why you're confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Nutshell

a) Buy Xbox 360 with GTA
    b) Buy 22" Monitor that your are looking at.
    c) Buy Xbox VGA cable - XBOX VGA Cable

All this and your ready to go, but the only thing you wont have is sound.
    The VGA cable above has a sound output on it that looks like the tip of a set of headphones. It needs to be plugged in somewhere so that you can hear everything..

Speakers like the following Sony Speakers

Presto - Enjoy GTA IV..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

adaptor.jpg
    Phono to stereo mini jack.

That jack comes as standard with the official Xbox Supplied VGA cable.

Xbox360 VGA lead. Thats what you need to connect your xbox to your monitor.
    Feelgood wrote: »
    Nutshell

a) Buy Xbox 360 with GTA
    b) Buy 22" Monitor that your are looking at.
    c) Buy Xbox VGA cable - XBOX VGA Cable

All this and your ready to go, but the only thing you wont have is sound.
    The VGA cable above has a sound output on it that looks like the tip of a set of headphones. It needs to be plugged in somewhere so that you can hear everything..

Presto - Enjoy GTA IV..

ahhh, okay...thats the cable i was wondering about. didnt know about that. cheers. now i know what i have to get.

Advertisement