Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this bug

Options
  • 13-05-2008 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭

Can anybody identify this little critter.
    We found ~7 of them in the front porch and they have now got into the house.

I seem to remember them being in the porch 3 years ago, but not since.

Anyhow, as the photo shows, they look like spiders but have swept up wings (which are non-functional) and huge toes. They only have 6 feet (so aren't spiders).
    I just need to know what their habitat is.

Here he is in all his glory...

http://pix.ie/10-10-20/532355/size/800

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

looks like some sort of a nymph, at the stage between larva and becoming a fly. i say this cause ive seen fishing flies tied that look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

looks like some sort of a nymph, at the stage between larva and becoming a fly. i say this cause ive seen fishing flies tied that look like it.

Id say the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'd say run.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

sueme wrote: »
    I'd say run.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Not a nymph.....from the angler beside me for sure.Relates to a horse fly or dug fly:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Im sure I've seen his cousin in starship troopers
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Hard to tell, but that looks like a louse fly, Hippoboscidae. They are parasitic on mammals and birds. Can be winged or wingless. More info here. Crataerhina Pallida is a parasite of birds. Anyone near you keeping pigeons?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Minder wins the jackpot.
    We had a old swallows nest near to where they entered. I had a look at the nest today and they were coming out of it.

This also explains why it was very difficult to crush one of the fellas - he took 6 or 7 attempts on a carpet with a shoe.

Thanks again Minder... I think... :)

Advertisement