Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 SD card reader

• 13-05-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know the memory size limit of the SD card readers on the Audi media system? I have one and it keeps saying "loading card" and then nothing happens.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Dunno if it's related but SD is technically limited to 2GB. Bigger than that it's SDHC, which is not backward compatible. There is the odd 4GB non-HC SD card out there, but compatibility is not guaranteed as it's beyond the spec.

Also most stuff will only recognise FAT32 (or sometimes FAT16) formatted cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

What size are you trying?

I know for some reason, a ton of devices didn't like cards above 1GB, even though SD cards go up to 2GB.

Also, it sometimes happens that a particular SD brand just doesn't work in a particular device. Kinda crappy, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

I was trying a 4 gig one. It says SD on it not SDHC......might see if I can find a 1 gig one and try that.

Anyone recommend a good iPod integration kit for the car? I have an Ipod Nano

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Afaik you can't put a retro iPod connection kit on the new A4 because the MMI system won't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anyone recommend a good iPod integration kit for the car? I have an Ipod Nano

If you see MMI on your display when you start your car then you can buy a dension 500 gadget which allows ipod connection and it then displays track info etc on your display. However if you see AIS (audi information system) on startup, I dont think its possible.

Look up dension 500 for exact info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 169

Is it possible to put sat nav onto the SD card

You mean load up the maps onto a card and then what?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 169

Will the maps display on the AIS

169 wrote: »
    Will the maps display on the AIS

Well even if they did, You still dont have the positioning equipment in your car to allow it to work as a navigation system. It would also have to recognise the info as live maps.
    Anyway, tried an sd card with music and other type files in my A5 and it only recognises the music files so its a firm no Im thinking.

If any electronics guys were brave enough, Im sure it is possible to botch a connection where the screen could be used to display info off a portable sat nav unit. It would be a real botch... Would involve closing down all the other functions of the display when being used for the sat nav and chopping in various connections between the portable unit and the car display. In effect all you would be doing is repacing the display on the portable unit with the car display . Cant see anyone having a go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Nish83

Hi Guys, (and girls)

so what is the largest / most recommendable size SD card for the Audi MMI system?

• Advertisement

Nish83 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, (and girls)

so what is the largest / most recommendable size SD card for the Audi MMI system?

2 gb max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

I am specing a new A4. I really want to get the MMI system but it is very expensive. When you get it it costs €1.5K and then you are forced to get the San Nav system which is about another €2K.

Is it worth it or is it possible to get it with out the SatNav. I prefere to use tomtom. My experience with integrated satnav systmes is not good. They become very dated very quickly and just look riduculs after a while.

I have a friend who mod'ed his MMI and he can play videos from his ipod, cool.

Werent audi doing a deal on the new A6 where increased spec & Nav was being offered at €500. Fight with them over price of nav on your A4, surely, they are open to do a great deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=201

Register with that forum. They have produced a list of what card makes and sizes work .

Comments
    Tested sizes 8GB, 16GB and 32GB work fine. Micro SD(with adaptor) and Standard SDHC cards work fine as long as you have the latest software/hardware updates as of October 2009
    it says in my manual ( Page 10)for audi symphony. on my 4 week old A4 2.0 tdi S line.
    that the card reader supports up to 32GB
    Just got a Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 and it works fine with MP3 and WMA files!

I've managed about 80 albums worth on it at the moment, with about 2.75Gb left!

Got it for £11.85 delivered if anyones interested

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-8G...3439581&sr=8-2

Hope this helps you OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

jackdoes wrote: »
    I am specing a new A4. I really want to get the MMI system but it is very expensive. When you get it it costs €1.5K and then you are forced to get the San Nav system which is about another €2K.

Is it worth it or is it possible to get it with out the SatNav. I prefere to use tomtom. My experience with integrated satnav systmes is not good. They become very dated very quickly and just look riduculs after a while.

I have a friend who mod'ed his MMI and he can play videos from his ipod, cool.

Not quite sure what you are getting at here. The only MMI options on the A4 are Business or Professional Navigation. The option I'd recommend is Colour DIS (9Q4) which needs to be ordered with at least the Concert Radio (8UD) on the standard and Sport Spec's (Concert is standard on the SE). Neither of the Navigation options are worth paying €2,000 + for IMHO.
    mickdw wrote: »
    Werent audi doing a deal on the new A6 where increased spec & Nav was being offered at €500. Fight with them over price of nav on your A4, surely, they are open to do a great deal

In March of this year the first 100 A6's ordered got free MMI navigation, but you had to pay to upgrade the driver information system. Think that has probably been filled by now - Belgard have one in the showroom with this freebie and a few other extras.

Extra spec for 2010 on the A6 is Chrome Pack and DIS on the standard spec.

MMI is stahdard on the A4. An upgrade to Concert radio (€500ish) will give you the SD card reader.
    You can also opt for the Audi Music Interface with the concert radio for another €350ish which'll give you iPod connectivity & control through the MMI.

Sat Nav doesn't come into it unless you want it.

Ok. I was pretty sure it was an extra. Even in the Belgard showroom only one og the a4's have the mmi. The rest have the basic display that has only 2 or 3 colors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Ok. I was pretty sure it was an extra. Even in the Belgard showroom only one og the a4's have the mmi. The rest have the basic display that has only 2 or 3 colors

That's the colour DIS I mentioned - it's €156 on most diesel Manual's and makes a huge difference to the interior.

Hang on.

Screen in the middle of the dash
    Black & red = Chorus, no SD card reader
    Colour w/single CD = Concert, SD card reader &
    option of Audi Music Interface
    Colour with 6CD = Symphony. Same as Concert with 6 disk changer

MMI is the control concept that gives you the central screen (A3 doesn't have MMI, A4 does). It's nothing to do with whether the screen is colour or not.

OK, thats a relief. I got confused cause I wanted to get the Audi parking system advanced. You cannot get this option unless you have the Navagation system.

Not sure why you need the sat nav system to use the rear view cameras.

• Advertisement

Probably something to do with upgrading the screen to "video quality". I'd say the Sat Nav screen is considerably higher resolution than the Concert or Symphony screen.

Don't bother with the advanced parking on an A4, as nice as those toys are to have in your fancy new car, you'll never see any of the money back when it comes time to sell it...

The high res screen looks good. I thought it would help the resale value.

I know the park assist prob would never get used.

Do you know much about other features like adaptive cruise, mobile phone prep and lane assist.

Is there anything you'd recommend to get?

I'm getting the a4 se exec

Are you importing? That spec's not available in Ireland.

Bluetooth prep, yes. Lane Assist and adaptive cruise, no.

Tell me more about what you drive now and what car you're ordering. I'd have a fairly good idea what what'll suit the car and what won't - i.e. I'd consider putting adaptive cruise into a 3.0TDi Tiptronic quattro, but it'd be a complete waste on a 2.0TDi 120BHP...

Ya, I think its comming in from the UK.

a4-executive.jpgA4 Saloon 2.0 TDI Executive SE free upgrade

The Audi A4 2.0 TDI Executive SE. Progressive, powerful and efficient. Add luxurious and distinctive, by adding the SE Executive upgrade at no extra cost. The Audi A4 2.0 TDI 143 PS starts from just £23,425 OTR.
    Features of the SE Executive upgrade include:
    • 17” 10-spoke alloy wheels
    • Mobile telephone preparation - low
    • Symphony radio
    • Cruise control
    • Three-zone climate control
    • Light and rain sensors

I currently drive a s40 seLux

Into that car I'd put...

Definitely:
    Make sure it has a multi-function steering wheel - definitely preferred
    Xenons - I like the look of them, I don't live or drive in situations where I get full use out of their lighting properties. Depending on your use you may find them invaluable or cool or crass.
    Servotronic - Not sure if this is standard in the UK or not, but definitely worth having
    Leather - If you've got it in your SE Lux, you might miss it in the A4
    Audi Music Interface - As above, iPod connectivity
    Bang & Olufsen - I LOVE the B&O system, you may not. Personal preference really...
    Hill Hold Assist - It's a cheap option that you'll grow to rely on daily

I'd take any of these options above the Advanced Parking System. Only leather will add to your resale value.

Maybe:
    Sports Seats - Actually more comfortable than the normal seats. Recommended for anyone with back problems
    Split-Folding Rear Seats - Nice for their convenience
    Heated Front Seats - A nice option to pair with leather seats
    Advanced Key - A cool gimmick that you grow to rely on surprisingly quickly. Never stops feeling "cool"
    Alarm - Depends on your circumstances. Some people are surprised by the omission of an alarm
    Alu Inlays/Wood Inlays - Depends on your preferences and the interior colouring you specify. It's also worth noting that the silver trim that comes as standard scratches quite easily and could look shabby fairly quickly if you're not careful

Ya, I think its comming in from the UK.

Who are you buying it from? Will it come with KMPH clocks? Will you get a 2 or 3 year warranty?

You should know the source/details of your €40k purchase...

Cheers thanks for that. I didnt know what the advanced key was. Just looked it up. I like it.

What kind of phone prep have you. Do you use the SAP feature. Sounds cool.

Standard phone prep (you're getting it as standard spec) is the only one to go for.

The higher phone systems (with handsets etc) would only be suitable in chauffeur driven A8s imho.

I'm not sure what SAP is? What's that?

I read about a feature where a dummy sim card sits in the MMI and when your phine connects via bluetooth it clones your sim and puts your phone in standby. The car then has your phone book and can receive your texts.

I dont plan on having a cradle in this car so keeping my battry charged may be a challange.

• Advertisement

That's pretty standard with the bluetooth system - syncing your phonebook.

I've never heard of it receiving your texts.

Don't bother with a cradle (pretty expensive) just buy one of those curly charger leads for your cigarette lighter socket.

The SAP feature sounds good.

http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=316

Think I will try and add in carage door opener and tyre pressure sensor.

One more question. Can anyone advise what type of alloys would be best to get on a new a4.

I have being recomended 18" alloys by dealer. Are 18's a good idea on irish roads or does it really make a difference. I'm getting the 2.0TDI 143BHP.

Advertisement