Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology predicitions

Options
  • 13-05-2008 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I sorta suck at Biology, doing higher level...

Anyways, anyone have predictions for whats gonna come up.. ecology enzymes/photosynthesis and reproduction is what I seem to be focusing on most and hope to god they will come up!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

I know it's not what you want to hear but for Bio, you can't afford to leave much out if you're looking for a pretty high grade, or even an average grade...

Anywhat..what you really need to do, is focus on both Units 1 & 2 of the course. Ensure you know Food, Ecology, Genetics, Enzymes etc. inside out.

And then try learning selected areas of Unit 3 i.e. topics which you enjoy. If I were you, though, I'd make sure to learn all of the Unit 3 topics that didn't come up last year i.e. Circulatory System incorporating the Lymphatic System, Excretion, the Senses etc.

Oh, and don't forget to study experiments. They're mind-numbingly boring but are short, and actually account for quite a large chunk of marks.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Not sure what experiements will appear.

For the long questions, make sure you know, Ecology, DNA+RNA/Genetics, Photosynthesis/Respiration, and Human Reproduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

i reckon the male reproductive system will appear along with the nervous system and something along the lines of senses! they were strongly tipped last year,didnt appear,and appeared on both mocks!

isolation of DNA is a teachers fav. and it is being tipped by my teacher!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

scholes19 wrote: »
    i reckon the male reproductive system will appear along with the nervous system and something along the lines of senses! they were strongly tipped last year,didnt appear,and appeared on both mocks!
    My teacher reckons female reproductive system will come up as it hasn't been on for a good few years + it appeared on this year's mock paper? :confused:

Know Genetics, a short q is likely to come up on genetic crosses; one of either Photosynthesis OR Respiration is guarunteed to come up as a long q; know Ecology (v easy marks, always comes up)

Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

monellia wrote: »
    My teacher reckons female reproductive system will come up as it hasn't been on for a good few years + it appeared on this year's mock paper? :confused:

Know Genetics, a short q is likely to come up on genetic crosses; one of either Photosynthesis OR Respiration is guarunteed to come up as a long q; know Ecology (v easy marks, always comes up)

Anyone else?

yeh my bad i meant the female reproductive sys. the male was on last year.apologies;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'd love if the osmosis expirment came up...

Doing honours myself, got 35% in the pre and im fairly poor at it, improved a lot since the pre though so hope to get around 55%ish

hate the subject. so much to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

If you do unit 1+2 and all the experiments you are garaunteed 80 %, and since there is a big choice with the rest of it, you don't have to do it all.

Photosynthesis ,respiration and genetics are garaunteed to come up , and reproduction is definatly gonna come up too (although it's a frecken massive chapter so that's really no help)

But yeah, if you haven't gotten a good chunk done now your fairly screwed, biology is basically trading time for points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

Theres a tip for biology students, which our teacher told us. You dont have to do it but its does work. If you use the green biology book, the one by michael o callaghan, then this tip applies to you! if you study Unit 1 (the study of life) and unit 2 (The cell) and all the experiments, and leave out unit 3 (the organism) altogether, then your gauranteed to pass. Note. You have to know the experiments and the two units fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

:), If you look at how the exam papers are set up, you can actually get 80%, if you know those bits fully.

I know I said that up there but +1 ho ho hohoho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well even if you know those 2 fully you gonna get asked something on them you don't know...

Also if your able to learn that much perfectly I don't see why you can;t learn a fair bit of unit 3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

As I mentioned above....

I think the best method, is to learn both Units 1 & 2 pretty well, the experiments - concentrating particularly on those likely to come up e.g. denaturation of an enzyme, investigating abiotic factors, isolation of DNA etc. and then just the bits of Unit 3 you find easiest/enjoy doing...

Advertisement