Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAO Calina - Why close thread "Escalators - why won't people walk???!!! and why do po

• 13-05-2008 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi Calina,

Why did you close this thread?

Tom C

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I imagine because it became disruptive.

Feel free to start another thread (but perhaps with a more balance poll).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tom, usually its good form to PM (click "user cp" on the top left of your screen then "send new message" and pop in Calina as the name of the recipient) forum mods for answers to questions like this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Darn Victorbot got there already!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi Tom C.

There was an inline warning that if there were any more off topic posts, the thread would be closed. The next post was off topic so I closed the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Can I comment on my views here or not, seeing as it was closed. I did not post in the other thread.

• Advertisement

How about dumping the OT stuff (may be time consuming) and reopening it, (if you have the time of course!)

Can I comment on my views here or not, seeing as it was closed. I did not post in the other thread.

No. In the context of this thread it would be an off topic post.
    How about dumping the OT stuff (may be time consuming) and reopening it, (if you have the time of course!)

It would be very time consuming and currently I am on a dial up connection. I will revisit the thread tomorrow evening and see whether it would be better to re-open the existing one, purged of all the OT mudslinging, or invite Tom to start a new one, albeit a little more balanced as per Victor. Alternatively, if Tom decides in the meantime to start a new one, then the old one stays closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Victor wrote: »
    I imagine because it became disruptive.

Feel free to start another thread (but perhaps with a more balance poll).

How was the thread disruptive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Calina wrote: »
    Hi Tom C.

There was an inline warning that if there were any more off topic posts, the thread would be closed. The next post was off topic so I closed the thread.

Hi Calina,

Surely as threads go on they will develop & may move away from the exact topic. Is this not part of what makes chat rooms interesting?

Tom C

Sometimes it's better to start another thread than to disrupt the original one, even when the original topic has been exhausted. Otherwise the title has no relevance to the topic being discussed.

• Advertisement

The thread got closed because it was no longer discussing its original topic, but had wandered onto complaints about the behaviour of one poster's daughters lifestyle choices, and how more people could be employed at McDonalds.

There were a couple of in thread warnings about some posting in the thread. They were ignored. There was a very clear warning about off topic posting along with a clear indication of what would happen if it continued.

This is not, per se, a chat room. It's a message board with a charter which I assume you read before you started posting and the question of off topic posting is handled in that charter ie it is not welcome. If you didn't, please have a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

excuse me for saying so but isnt closing the topic because of the off-topic posts of a few rather like punishing the whole class at school because no-one owns up to being the culprit....?

There were only a few discussing at that stage anyway and they were off topic. If anyone else had something constructive to add, I imagine they would have while the thread was open. They didn't.

I'd also add that it is extremely rare that I close threads.

Advertisement