Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT question

Options
  • 13-05-2008 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Hey, I bought a 2nd car over a year ago in the UK but never used it. It's be garaged and never on Irish roads (except to bring it over) but now, I want to clear it. Will I face any penalties? The VRT has dropped by over 1,000 so I'd obv rather pay today's rate...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,102 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nope, if you havent been caught they wont ask any qns when you goto pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

I still have both sides of the UK reg form (I bought it from a friend so it's not really a problem) but we did fill it out at the time. Should I try to "change" the date or just leave it be and tell them it was parked up if they see the date Jan '07?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You will also need to mention that it was either driven to your house or that you imported in on a trailer and that you have not driven it on a public road since you purchased it - which of course, Im sure was the case!

do they always check the mileage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hot4teacher

I brought my car in last week and the guy just peered in the window. I offered to open the car, but he wasn't bothered even though the car was close to the mileage and age threshold and had nearly every extra possible on it.
    Its like everything else really, you could go in and they might go over it with a fine tooth-comb or just flash through the paperwork.
    I did go in close to lunch time though so maybe this had a bearing on proceedings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Flipper wrote: »
    do they always check the mileage?

Not always - do I detect a fib about it being parked up?

well i out like 5k miles up before comin back to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So, you bought it in the UK, put up 5k miles in the UK, and imported it yesterday. Have I got that right? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the 5K miles is for VAT and not VRT!

Advertisement