Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

SGS Finglas

Options
  • 13-05-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Has anyone done a test here recently? I failed today, fine, I thought I would pass but anyway...my issue is the way the tester spoke to me, told me I shouldn't bother applying for a while as I would be wasting my time, Im a reckless dangerous driver...asked him for an explanation of where, he couldn't give me any, and then when I pointed out I had no grade 3 faults so it didn't add up he changed the subject to give out about my lack of 4th gear in a housing estate...so I told him I had been told you needed to be going over 50KPH to use 4th gear, and this was illegal in a housing estate, and he told me the problem was bad instructors and then he got out a card for a former colleague of his who was now doing lessons and told me I should try and get a lesson with him. He also talked non stop throughout the test, about himself, how he was afraid he had whiplash from an earlier test where the person had failed and how the person before me had been rubbish and had also failed. Very encouraging....what an idiot, I suppose he will be telling tomorrows victim all about his experience with me...very professional...rant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

was it sgs northpoint ( ballymun) or the rsa test centre in finglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rio1 wrote: »
    you needed to be going over 50KPH to use 4th gear, and this was illegal in a housing estate,

Well what you were told is completely wrong, i mean, you rarely have to go above 50km/h during a test, so cruising in 3rd unless you were driving a car with a particularly large engine and large gear ratios, would be wrong. As for driving in a housing estate, unless otherwise stated 50km/h would be fine, as it falls into the "towns and cities" category for speed limits, unless there was reason to slow, such as partial obstruction of th road by badly parked cars etc.
    rio1 wrote: »
    He also talked non stop throughout the test, about himself, how he was afraid he had whiplash from an earlier test where the person had failed and how the person before me had been rubbish and had also failed. Very encouraging....what an idiot,

If he was bothering you, you could have asked him to stop, it does seem odd, but i guess he was just bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 coolshark

I'm a driving instructor and yet to have anyone fail in SGS Finglas and that is 100% genuine. I know the exact areas/routes and would love ot have a look at your driving to see what you're doing wrong in order for you to get your full licence.

Sounds like the only bad feedback I've seen or read from any SGS tester in any test centre. V unprofessional and not v encouraging at all. You could complain but to be honest it is not worth the hassle. They're not supposed to talk to you but cannot discuss the test later on. If you're doing 50kph you should be in 4th gear unless approaching traffic lights or traffic in front is slowing down and bull**** that this is illegal in a housing estate to do 50 kph. You must have picked up few Grade 2's for progress on the straight.

Mail me and will do my best to get you through your next test ok.

I'm a driving instructor and yet to have anyone fail in SGS Finglas and that is 100% genuine. I know the exact areas/routes and would love ot have a look at your driving to see what you're doing wrong in order for you to get your full licence.

Sounds like the only bad feedback I've seen or read from any SGS tester in any test centre. V unprofessional and not v encouraging at all. You could complain but to be honest it is not worth the hassle. They're not supposed to talk to you but cannot discuss the test later on. If you're doing 50kph you should be in 4th gear unless approaching traffic lights or traffic in front is slowing down. There are times when you could use 4th gear but lots of reasons why you would not have the space to use it but bull**** that this is illegal in a housing estate to do 50 kph. You must have picked up few Grade 2's for progress on the straight or gears for not making good progress through the gears.

Mail me and will do my best to get you through your next test ok.[/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

How lenient are they on gear selection? If I was going 50kph at 3,000 rpm would I be expected to switch to 4th about 2000 rpm even though I'm not going to be going any faster on that road? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    How lenient are they on gear selection? If I was going 50kph at 3,000 rpm would I be expected to switch to 4th about 2000 rpm even though I'm not going to be going any faster on that road? :confused:

3000rpm is far to high to be cruising at, even 2000 is high, but i'm presuming you're driving something small perhaps 1.0ltr? Yes you would be expected to be in 4th at 50km/h, Unless you were driving uphill etc. You should probably be in fourth before hitting 50km/h on level roads, seeing that you're hitting 3000rpm in 3rd at 50, This will depend on a lot though, number of passengers, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TM58

I'm an ex driving tester, retired a few years now.
    How many grade 2's did you acquire?

50 Km/h is not a target, it's a maximum.
    Whoever told you that you needing to use 4th gear to go 50Km/h is incorrect.
    From my experience the majority of people fail through bad instruction and nerves.
    The last phrase they hear from the tester is;
    "I want you to drive in your normal manner. I will give you directions in good time whether to turn left or right, otherwise follow the normal course of the road. If you have any doubts about my directions ask me to repeat or clarify them."
    If this was followed most drivers would pass using common sense.

All RSA testers and SGS tester are trained to the same standard.
    It is a pity that you never hear how many grades people get and what categories they get them in.

The rule is if you're making good progress up an open flat road and the traffic in front of you is moving freely and not slowing down and there are no obstructions ahead or traffic lights etc, if you're travelling at 50 km/h you should be in 4th gear. Travelling this speed in 3rd gear will get you a grade 2 mark for Gears on your driving test for spending too long in low gears. Obviously you would not be in 4th gear climbing a hill or the car will labour. It depends on what is in front of you. You'll not be marked for not coming down the gears either. You may stop in 4th gear if you wish and if you slow down gradually in good time using your brake.

Advertisement