Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling alone to Asia - mad?

• 13-05-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm a 26 year old female, my friends are all busy with partners and careers and aren't thinking about travelling, but I have developed very itchy feet. My only choice is to go on my own. I love the idea of chilling out in Asia for a few months, but to be honest I'm a bit scared of going there on my own. I know there'll be lots of backpackers out there, but I've never travelled on my own before and would it be a case of too much too soon, particularly in Asia? Would I be better going somewhere a bit more westernised to start out with?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Gaz

South East Asia is probably one of the better places to ease yourself into the "solo" thing. Just do it , dont worry about it , you will meet so many people on your travels. Most countries have a backpacker trail of sorts, stick to this to begin with and you will have no problem hooking up with travel partners.

It can be lonely at times,nights in crap guesthouses or days on your own on buses ... but the goods times far outweigh the bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You'll be fine. Thousands do it every year.
    If you feel you need to start off in a more westernised (english speaking) country you could hit OZ or NZ for a few weeks and then travel back up to asia.

Either way, you'll have a great time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Definitely go for it. I started out in Brazil as a 21 year old solo female backpacker. I was bricking it. Took me 3 hours to leave the airport building because I was sure I was going to get mugged instantly.
    But now (I'm currently on my own in Malaysia) I could go anywhere on my own and be totally confident. Solo travelling really gives you a sense of being able to kick ass, even if you can't. And it's so easy to meet people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Agree with previous posters. I went solo at the age of 19 to Asia and despite thinking what the hell am I doing within 2 days I had found my feet. Theres well worn travellers trails in SE Asia so just go that way and you'll be fine.

Just be streetwise as you would be at home and everything will be grand, go for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

I'm doing SE Asia solo for the first time in October for two months, then off to Oz. I'm a 30 yr old male and sometimes I wonder what the hell am I doing. But then I think, why not? It might just be the kick in the ass I need.

When are you thinking of going lemon_of_old?

Read this article, helped set my mind at ease.

http://travelhappy.info/travel-tips/seven-reasons-to-go-travelling-solo/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MarB1981

I am just back from a year of travelling on my own . I'm 26 and Female too! It was so amazing to head off solo! I was in South East Asia, Oz and NZ.
    I am safely say that 60% of the backpackers out there are women on their own!

You actually bacome selfish...like you do what you want to do, when you want to do it, the way you want to do it!

I thought I would be a bit lonely.. but I met so many people along the way that I was never really on my own.

Oh good Luck with it.. You'll have a ball!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_of_old

Thanks for all your replies, it has definitely put my mind at ease. I'm heading to the different travel agents the weekend after next with my itinerary and getting some quotes! It's so exciting!

And Irelandsown, thanks for that link - I have it bookmarked for future freakouts. I'm heading to SE Asia in early-mid October too. I'm thinking of spending 2-3 months in Asia, more specifically Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Ultimately want to get myself a working visa and spend some time in New Zealand. What's your plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Popa_irl

Your not mad, thats cool! I hope to go travel the world some day, maybe on my own as well. Heading off to the states on me own so thats a start.

Remember that book "The Beach" by Alex Garland (later made into a movie)? That was about a lone traveler. So you never know, you may just find an empty island and a big field of weed. Happy Daze my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

And Irelandsown, thanks for that link - I have it bookmarked for future freakouts. I'm heading to SE Asia in early-mid October too. I'm thinking of spending 2-3 months in Asia, more specifically Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Ultimately want to get myself a working visa and spend some time in New Zealand. What's your plan?

Planning on flying to Bangkok around Oct 20th - 21st. Couple of days there before making my way up to Northern Thailand. Few stops on the way. Cross over into Laos for a few weeks. Then into Cambodia and Vietnam. Fly back from Vietnam to Bangkok. Then hit some of the islands for my last week or two. Hope to be in Sydney then for xmas cos I have some friends there. Have to WHV for Oz so have until next April to get there. Let me know how you get on with the travel agents. I need to start booking my flights soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Wallflower1980

I'm in the exact some boat here. I'm a 27 year old female and itching to travel but no one I know is interested, so it would mean going solo. I'm not worried about going OZ or NZ, its the non english speaking country that worry me. Most of the advise I've seen on these boards is to just go and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭raemie21

I'm going to Vietnam alone.
    I don't think I'm mad. :D

Advertisement