Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my water pump finished?

Options
  • 13-05-2008 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Built a new system about 7 months ago and not a bother until this evening. Turned it on, was doing a few things and decided after updating my anti virus software to do a full scan.

About 3 minutes into it machine turned off, leds on motherboard are still on etc so power is fine. Turned it back on and same thing again within a minute of switching on.

Ok so looks like the cpu is overheating which it shouldn't be as I'm using an integrated watercooling setup (Kandalf LCS) which has until now worked really well with CPU temp never going much about 30 C. Checked the coolant level, about a third below the full level so refill to max.

Noticed two bubbles, one large enough at the connections to the waterblock so have been trying to bleed the system. Haven't been able to get them to budge though, turned the machine on it's side to see if I could move them that way but nada. There doesn't look to be any flow at all.

Felt the pump while powered up and seems very quiet, not the slightest vibration though there was a vibration in the tubing. However when I disconnected the power supply on the pump the same vibration was present so discounted that as an indication the pump is working.

Is there any other way I can tell if it is the pump? Was thinking of draining the system all together and refilling the resevoir to see if any liquid moves into the tubing.

Any other ideas out there?

Cheers

By the way, after leaving it switched off for a few hours I turned it on and checked the temps. CPU was in the 60's within the first minute and rising 1 degree every couple of seconds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

sounds like your pump alright if your temps are rising that quickly. you might have gotten air trapped in it and could have caused it to fail but thats my two cents without seeing the case. Thermaltake is not the best to be honest but slap on a stock cooler and see if it boots and if so i think you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

yeah that's what I was thinking of doing. going to drain the tubing first, start a refill and see if liquid starts circulating, don't have much hope in that. If that doesn't work it's root out the stock cooler and try it with that.

One more question, any advice on the best way to drain it? Was thinking due to the reservoir and pump being buggers to install inside the case in the first place of just taking off the water block, placing the pc on a table and loosen the tubing to the water block a safe distance below the pc into a container.

Then tighten the seal on the water block again, fix it back on the cpu and see if thats cleared any potential block.

Whats the standard procedure for doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

DamoKen wrote: »
    yeah that's what I was thinking of doing. going to drain the tubing first, start a refill and see if liquid starts circulating, don't have much hope in that. If that doesn't work it's root out the stock cooler and try it with that.

One more question, any advice on the best way to drain it? Was thinking due to the reservoir and pump being buggers to install inside the case in the first place of just taking off the water block, placing the pc on a table and loosen the tubing to the water block a safe distance below the pc into a container.

Then tighten the seal on the water block again, fix it back on the cpu and see if thats cleared any potential block.

Whats the standard procedure for doing this?

General standard is to draining a loop is to get the point thats the lowest in the loop and once you've removed the watercooling setup from the case and away from all parts (i know this is not possible sometimes) to remove the tubing from this while its placed in a basin and to let it drain off from there. I'll do you one better.... Heres a video explaining how to do it from the owner of dangerden
    LINK
    Its a good idea to take the tubing off the block if the water isn't coming out of there but other wise leave it on cause theres no need to so unless waters not coming out. by the way is the tubing clear and what did you use to fill it? could be a case of algae build up
    Good luck bro and if you need any help pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

requiem1 wrote: »
    Its a good idea to take the tubing off the block if the water isn't coming out of there but other wise leave it on cause theres no need to so unless waters not coming out. by the way is the tubing clear and what did you use to fill it? could be a case of algae build up
    Good luck bro and if you need any help pm me

Hi Requiem, cheers for the link. Won't have a chance to try anything until the weekend (bloody training!) but will look at it then. As to the tubing, yes it's clear, the liquid is an alcohol based coolant (I think) that came with the Kandalf LCS. Liquid looks clear enough too so don't think it's algae.

There does look to be a block around the water block which is what I haven't been able to shift. There's air bubbles at both intake and outlet and the block which is clear looks to be less than full which is another reason I was thinking of draining from there.

cheers

Advertisement