Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Apprenticeship

Options
  • 13-05-2008 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey, general question. How does one go about becoming a tattoo artist? Is it hard to obtain an apprenticeship or does it help to get some kind of certificate in art bla bla bla....

Would love to do it on the side like....

Any info wud be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

its impossibly hard to get into it... you either have to know and artist really well, or just magically get a break and be offered the job like i was.. its very handy to have a portfolio with ya.. if you dont have one id recommend doing a portfolio course. after that.. persistence.. just keep asking and asking and asking. (stick to reputable places)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jabcity

i have a portfolio but im doin a year long course in BCFE this september to build it up, and tattooing is something ive been interested in for a long time, so it wud definately be worth the effort if i ever did get an apprenticeship! thanks for the tips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

here's a tip - don't go in anywhere and tell them "would love to do it on the side like".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

haha do you guys get that a lot?
    Shouldn't be laughing, I'd say its really really annoying.

heres another tip.. make friends with somone in a shop.. hang out with them in the shop and ask questions.. it happened in our shop recentally.. they started piercing anyways.

• Advertisement

Jealousy from me, but college is screwin me over. Nobody (in my experience) wants to take on a student as an apprentice. Thats what one place told me anyway :(

thats true i guess... you could lie to them and tell them that your minding your sick mother or something... hahah

just go in having made friends and say.. whats this all about.. pick up a pencil and start doing line drawings.

Well I wanna pierce for a living, not tattoo ;)
    But yeah I'd rather be honest, only one more year to go. What's a lil wait I suppose for something I will (hopefully) be doing for the rest of my life :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jabcity

well i say on the side for the moment, i wudnt wana make it a permanent profession unless i know it was goin the right way, payin the bills n all. wont be tryin anythin til after college anyway, but the tips are great! thanks everyone!

its hard enough to learn if your not around it the whole time.. well.. from my experiance. but then again i love it :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement