Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Non-phone +non fixed wireless DSL?

Options
  • 13-05-2008 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Guys.,

My sis is living in a flat, from which she will move soon, but wishes to get broadband.

Due to being in flat etc she's certain conditions about the DSL she can/wants to get.
      • No Phone line
      • No fixed wireless point on roof (eg: breeze prodcuts)

Can people advise and share their experiences of the wireless options open to her. (IBB Ripwave plus, Clearwire Freedom, 3G, O2, other?)
      Which is best in terms of
      real speed,
      connectivity etc.
      Customer service/support

Seems to be only scare stories for non-phone or cable DSL, on boards, but really she will have to go with one.
      So would at least love to help her choose best one (even if its best of bad lot)

Would appreciate any and all help I can get, thanks in advance ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

By 3G I presume you mean the company "3" and not the 3G technology that is used by Vodafone, O2 and "3", take 3 out because they are useless and shouldn't be inflicted on anyone nevermind a family member.

As you say you're looking for the best of a (very) bad bunch, everyone of the products you listed are useless, I would go for clearwire or ripwave over O2 even though there are plenty of reasonably satisfied O2 customers on boards because if you're able to get clearwire and ripwave you will be in a pretty urban area and the contention of an urban area is particularly noticeable with 3G technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I'd go with ibb ripwave because clearwire are crap and much more expensive than ibb ripwave

ibb ripwave (512kb)18.95 no cap
      ibb ripwave plus (1mb) 26.95 no cap

clearwire start (512kb) 24.95 caped
      clearwire freedom (ya right) (1mb) 29.95 caped

ibb is cheaper and theres no cap unlike clearwie on clearwire start theres a cap of 5gb which about a standard DVD 4.7gb not very much at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I would go for clearwire or ripwave over O2 even though there are plenty of reasonably satisfied O2 customers on boards because if you're able to get clearwire and ripwave you will be in a pretty urban area and the contention of an urban area is particularly noticeable with 3G technology.

Irish Broadband's service is criminal but they may be still be the best of the rest. Who to choose, Satan or Satan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

It all depends on where she is moving to and what service will be available there. O2's or Vodafone's 3G service might be the safest as they would generaly have good signal strength in most major towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

However if you can't have fixed wireless, you may often only have dialup or ISDN speeds.

You may have a flatrate "always on" product. But it may be infrequently Broadband speed and very rarely broadband latency.

Ripwave is usually x3 slower than O2 / 3 / Vodaphone, but if it is a busy phone mast and an good Ripwave area, then ripwave can be x2 faster.

Where is the rough area?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 37 certifiable365

Thanks for advice so far guys.

FAO Watty: She's in Ballymun area and will be moving to another flat within same area, with the same restrictions in terms of no fixed wireless and no want to get phone line.

I'm thinking when she does move to her new flat she could look at ntl cable broadband and perhaps get one of the wireless products until that point?

Anyone familiar with which wireless product performs best in the area.
      Being the stubborn so and so she is, and rather than waiting for advice from me, (which I would have gleaned from you guys and obviously given you full credit for :) ) I think she's jumping for clearwire, but be interested to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭gravity12

I've also been asked to the same question by a friend. They live in the clonskeagh area.

Does anyone have any experience of the products mentioned above in this area.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

gravity12 wrote: »
      I've also been asked to the same question by a friend. They live in the clonskeagh area.

Does anyone have any experience of the products mentioned above in this area.

Thanks

My experience of Irish Broadband is that of someone living a stonethrow from Clonskeagh.

Advertisement