Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COD4 360 with Keyboard and Mouse

• 13-05-2008 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I being a PC gamer found it a little difficult converting to using a controller for online play in COD4. To be honest I got slaughtered most of the time. I decided to but myself an XFPS which is a keyboard and mouse convertor for the 360. I seen it recommended for COD4, and there are plenty of youtube vids demonstrating it.

Now I am back to my old antics, and playing a lot better. I have had the debate though with some of my console buddies that this is coping out, and is an unfair advantage to the console players using controllers.

I disagree as its whatever you are best at. I am sure the majority of console players are a lot more comfortable with a controller over a keyboard and mouse any day, so no advantage is gained.

What are your views.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't see it as copping out. It's a personal preference. I myself prefer mouse and keyboard to a control pad. Using a certan gun that is better than the others wouldn't be considered copping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

What benefits do you get from it?

Speed sensitivity?
    Accuracy?

And no, I don't think its unfair whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jimmy2180

For me its reaction time. I am so used to aiming with a mouse that I get that sharpness back when playing online. Using the controller it takes that timy bit longer to aim, which online equals you being killed. For me it was no more 5 kills 30 deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

So is using a mouse and keyboard on 360 the same as using on pc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Klept0

I know a lot of people that went to console gaming to avoid the whole "point and click" shooters in PC gaming. It's a lot harder to get a kill with a 360 controller than PC for sure but I get more satisfaction out of it!

How much did the yoke cost ya? If you shelled out more than €20-€30 then you should be ashamed! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 jimmy2180

It is exactly like using a PC, I have played COD4 on both the PC and 360 now and there is very little difference between then from a control perspective.

The PC is very slightly more accurate but on the XFPS you canchange the sensitivity to suit yout best.

I am afraid I have to hang my head in shame. I got the sniper revision of the XFPS and paid 85 euro. Yep its a lot of money for a convertor but I am getting my moneys worth out of it, as I now enjoy playing COD4 a lot more. I can also use it on other shooters and games that I feel more confident with a keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I play it on the pc and I'd assume that you'd have a MASSIVE advantage if you were using a keyboard and mouse while others were using a controller.

It really is no contest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Holsten wrote: »
    I play it on the pc and I'd assume that you'd have a MASSIVE advantage if you were using a keyboard and mouse while others were using a controller.

It really is no contest.
    Thats pretty elitist talk there. The OP never mentioned that, after picking up a mouse and keyboard, that he completely destroyed everyone. I would not be surprised if he has his good and bad games like everyone else. The mouse and keyboard may give him personally a massive advantage, i.e. he gets positive k/d ratio, but I really doubt he has a MASSIVE advantage over players that use a controller well. Pc elitists will dismiss a joypad out of hand, only cos they believe a FPS can only be played with mouse and keyboard. In reality, those people can only use mouse and keyboard, and suck at joypad. That does not mean one is superior to the other. Different is all they are. One ain't better than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I wouldn't dismiss a joypad, but for an FPS, you would have an advantage using a mouse and keyboard.

Different control systems for different games. FPS, RTS = Mouse and keyboard. Sports games, racing games, fighting.. pretty much everything else is better with a controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thats pretty elitist talk there. The OP never mentioned that, after picking up a mouse and keyboard, that he completely destroyed everyone. I would not be surprised if he has his good and bad games like everyone else. The mouse and keyboard may give him personally a massive advantage, i.e. he gets positive k/d ratio, but I really doubt he has a MASSIVE advantage over players that use a controller well. Pc elitists will dismiss a joypad out of hand, only cos they believe a FPS can only be played with mouse and keyboard. In reality, those people can only use mouse and keyboard, and suck at joypad. That does not mean one is superior to the other. Different is all they are. One ain't better than the other.

Shadowrun was game designed for cross-platform play between the x-box 360 and the PC. When tuning the balance they brought in some pro Css teams and some pro Halo teams. They found that initially the Halo teams dominated. After a few hours of testing, when the pc players got used to the controls the Halo players started getting what was described as destroyed.

So they gimped the accuracy of the weapons during quick movement for balance purposes.

The xbox 360 can take and use a USB keyboard and mouse. The reason you are not supposed to be allowed use them in game in because they give you a huge advantage over the other players in a fps/rts game. Using the device listed above is no different then going out of your way to buy a wallhack/aimbot from the net. All you are doing is putting yourself in a dominant and unbalanced position because you can't compete otherwise.

If you don't believe me please go onto the x-box forum and ask the other players how they feel about going up against a keyboard and mouse in fps games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

The way I see it though is that the advantage on KB/mouse is only really true for the best pc players. From my experience, the majority of pc players I have come up against (in my very limited pc mp experience) run around like headless chickens. And I would eat those for breakfast with a joypad. Pc players tend to get a shot off faster, but unless they are quite good, they can get steamrolled by a team of joypad users, as communication is easier (on xbox anyway, cos most peeps have headset). Then we have games like R6 that have movement accuracy penalties, where the playing field is quite level, as a joypad allows much more control over that accuracy penalty. As I see it, yes the very good pc players will have an advantage, but for the most part there will be f*** all difference. I wont bother with the xbox forums, the times I have visited I have struggled to find a proper discussion. Also it seems that most people on there have never played a FPS with a pc. Me personally, I have had better results on pc games with joypad, but then again I play better with that and its my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The way I see it though is that the advantage on KB/mouse is only really true for the best pc players. From my experience, the majority of pc players I have come up against (in my very limited pc mp experience) run around like headless chickens. And I would eat those for breakfast with a joypad.

As above, Shadowrun pretty much lived up to the expectations that if you introduce a keyboard and mouse you penalize the increase movement and accuracy or you don't end up eating them for breakfast. Your experience is your own, in my large experience with both competitive pc and xbox playing, a good player is a good player regardless.

The difference between the two is that on the pc slow reactions are penalized much more.
    Pc players tend to get a shot off faster, but unless they are quite good, they can get steamrolled by a team of joypad users, as communication is easier (on xbox anyway, cos most peeps have headset).

Voicecoms and headsets were on the pc years before the x-box. And used frequently. Any clan player of any pc fps over the last 6 years has been using Teamspeak or Ventrillo.
    Then we have games like R6 that have movement accuracy penalties, where the playing field is quite level, as a joypad allows much more control over that accuracy penalty.

Cod4 does not impose a strict movement penalty, and I'm pretty sure that you don't need to be moving to be able to aim quicker with increased accuracy.
    As I see it, yes the very good pc players will have an advantage, but for the most part there will be f*** all difference.

Any player using a mouse and keyboard by circumventing the restrictions Microsoft themselves imposed have given themselves a advantage over the other players. And yes there would be a huge difference. All it would take is to get muscle memory for the necessary distances.

I wont bother with the xbox forums, the times I have visited I have struggled to find a proper discussion. Also it seems that most people on there have never played a FPS with a pc. Me personally, I have had better results on pc games with joypad, but then again I play better with that and its my preference.

When you become capable of flick shooting you can never say that a joypad is the better option.

What you need to realize here is that on the pc you can choose to use a joypad or keyboard and mouse. Fair enough you prefer a joypad. There not bad and you comfortable with it.

The point is that Microsoft decided to limit the use of Keyboards and Mice in fps games on the console. The x-box 360 and the Ps3 both have Usb plug and play capability and can both use a USB keyboard and mouse.

Both Microsoft and Sony imposed restrictions on the console to stop the keyboard and mouse to be used in game.

So when you use the hard-ware listed above you are bypassing the restrictions imposed in order to complete the balance of the game to make it fair for all players. You are cheating the system. You can't do that on a pc using a joypad because its allowed.

Cheating is an act of lying, deception, fraud, trickery, imposture, or imposition. Cheating characteristically is employed to create an unfair advantage, usually in one's own interest, and often at the expense of others.[1] Cheating implies the breaking of rules. The term "cheating" is less applicable to the breaking of laws, as illegal activities are referred to by specific legal terminology such as fraud or corruption. Cheating is a primordial economic act: getting more for less, often used when referring to marital infidelity.

Bypassing the rules put in place for balance, creating a unfair advantage over other players for yourself is cheating.

The real question is do you condone cheating in online multiplayer games?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KoRn101

It is cheating because it DOES give you an unfair advantage, thats why you cant connect to people using PC version of COD4 with Xbox version peeps..

It would just be a wipeout.

You say you are a PC gamer and thats fine, but the idea is to adjust to the controller.. Everyone els is using it so everyone is in the same boat. I despise people who use that XFPS or whatever. Its not fair, thats why you were improving after, you answered your own question and basically at the end of the day.. You're cheating. :mad:

Advertisement