Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henrik Larsson is Sweden squad for Euro's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

:eek:

was this on the cards or was it completely out of the blue?

Im assuming out of the blue cos Id heard nothing but then again I dunno!!

Im just delighted, one more time for the legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3561009,00.html

Wow, all I can say is the guy is an absolute legend and I wish him well.

Amazing career and Ill now be supporting Sweden, needed a team to root for, I hope his career has one more fairytale ending.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

He kind of needs to make up his mind really doesn't he? It's not the first time he decided to skip the hassle of the qualifying and play the actual tournement.

Unearthly wrote: »
    He kind of needs to make up his mind really doesn't he? It's not the first time he decided to skip the hassle of the qualifying and play the actual tournement.

Now now. Lagerback asked him, its not like he just decided, "right lads, im comin back" on his own accord.

I genuinely think he had retired. Would u after retiring turn down one last chance at glory if the coach asked u?

• Advertisement

Now now. Lagerback asked him, its not like he just decided, "right lads, im comin back" on his own accord.

I genuinely think he had retired. Would u after retiring turn down one last chance at glory if the coach asked u?

Didn't he do the exact same thing for euro 2004? I just think it's a bit harsh to come in and take the place of someone who actually helped the team get to the tournament.

Didn't he do the exact same thing for euro 2004? I just think it's a bit harsh to come in and take the place of someone who actually helped the team get to the tournament.

He may have and it is harsh but I could care less. It was Allback and Zlatan in the qualifiers mainly, and theyre both in the squad as is Seb Larrson so I dont think its too big a deal. I get to watch the man take to the field in a meaningful football match one more time. I'm happy!

He spent 3 months at United and is an absolute legend there, thats a rarity.

It's not the first time he decided to skip the hassle of the qualifying and play the actual tournement.

tbh at his age playing in qualifiers would take a huge toll. his recovery times will be well down on what they used be. had he made himself available for qualifiers he may have been virtually played out by the time the tourney came around, and i'm pretty sure he knew that. and also i don't think there are many in the Swedish squad who would have the same experience as Larsson. that's always going to be a boost in a tourney situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

He spent 3 months at United and is an absolute legend there, thats a rarity.

Appearances : 13
    Goals: 3

A legend ? Really ? That terms gets thrown around too easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

He IS sweden squad? damn that is something. Not sure if its a good tactic though. Never seen him in goal before :o

• Advertisement

Greece, Spain and Russia in their group and a potential amazing QF against any of the group of death (France, Italy, Holland and Romania) - gonna be great!

Tusky wrote: »
    Appearances : 13
    Goals: 3

A legend ? Really ? That terms gets thrown around too easily.

He came in at a time when he was badly needed and did a great job. 3 goals in 13 appearances, not starts, appearances. Fans remember his performances not his goal tally. He also had to lead the line on his own in a few of those games and he worked his socks off. The fans took to him immediately and really were hoping that Fergie would sign him again this year. A bigger compliment u cant give the guy considering his age and the way us United fans always want youthful signings!!

joe123 wrote: »
    He IS sweden squad? damn that is something. Not sure if its a good tactic though. Never seen him in goal before :o

Yep, a team of Henke Larssons! Theyll outscore u ya know!!

Damn it, I edited it but it wont save, ah well! Damn the excitement!

He came in at a time when he was badly needed and did a great job. 3 goals in 13 appearances, not starts, appearances. He also had to lead the line on his own in a few of those games and he worked his socks off. The fans took to him immediately and really were hoping that Fergie would sign him again this year. A bigger compliment u cant give the guy considering his age and the way us United fans always want youthful signings!!

It's going to look I have a problem against the guy but I don;t. I think he's been a great pro all his career.

However I think a lot of united fans look at his performances misty eyed. He did ok and did work hard but there was a good few games he wasn't performing that well. Infact I remember Saha was on the bench who would of been the better option to play in certain games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

He came in at a time when he was badly needed and did a great job. 3 goals in 13 appearances, not starts, appearances.

10 starts, 3 sub, 3 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Infact I remember Saha was on the bench who would of been the better option to play in certain games.

Old reliable Saha, I remember a week before Larsson arrived Saha went off "injured" in the 30th odd minute against Newcastle.

Larsson came in, did a job, wasn't spectacular but by no means was he terrible. United simply had no strikers.

I respect Larsson and was greatful for what he did, appartently he was getting some stick off the missus, but a United Legend his not.

Saha had played most of the games up till January and performed very well and suited our style of play. Yes he got injured just before he Larrsson came but he was back a few games later and was on the bench. A mistake imo

I don't think he is a Man Utd legend. He was a football legend playing at Man Utd though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Tusky wrote: »
    10 starts, 3 sub, 3 goals.
    I think he had 2 or 3 legit goals ruled out too. It was how easily he settled in on his debut though. It was like he'd been playing for them all season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I don't think he is a Man Utd legend. He was a football legend playing at Man Utd though

Exactly. A more likeable footballer you will not find. Except maybe Jimmy Bullard. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Considering he is still probably their best striker at 35 years old says it all. Don't rate Ibrahimovic at all...Good move by Lagerback as he will know what Larsson will give him in terms of the quality and vision he has on the pitch.

He is a Celtic Legend...one their greatest ever players alongside McNeil, Jinky, Dalglish and of course Stein and Maley...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

It's going to look I have a problem against the guy but I don;t. I think he's been a great pro all his career.

However I think a lot of united fans look at his performances misty eyed. He did ok and did work hard but there was a good few games he wasn't performing that well. Infact I remember Saha was on the bench who would of been the better option to play in certain games.
    I defo agree with this statement, I think it sums up his stay perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sweden just got another supporter here.

Larsson was a Celtic legend and I will never forget his reaction to the defeat in the UEFA Cup final 5 years ago or his reaction in Portugal as he put Celtic into the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Nope, I'm sorry but this just isn't fair at all on the squad.

One of them centre forwards who played in the games in the qualifiers will not be starting in the tournament that he hadbeen working towards.

It's unjust and not right.
    It's the second time he's done it as well.
    Skipping the tough qualifying and then just getting the prize of playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

SantryRed wrote: »

One of them centre forwards who played in the games in the qualifiers will not be starting in the tournament that he hadbeen working towards.

Regardless of whether he was asked back or not, I'd agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I think he would be a good sub to have on the bench. I think the managers job is to get together the best possible squad and that is what he is doing. It would be a bit different if he was a disruptive sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Why criticise Larsson, Lagerback is using all options available to him that he can exploit, i think he feels Larsson's quality and experience can benefit Sweden for this summers championship. Will give some of his out of form strikers a kick up the arse like Ibrahimovic who probably thinks his place is the team is safe, complacency can breath in and there isn't nothing that can stop unless like Lagerback has done by announcing his squad, to show that there is quality available in Larsson to bring in to his frontline in the starting eleven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think they've a few injuries.

i'd say it's highly unlikely he'll see much game time. he's simply an option, but his greatest value is his experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I would much rather have him in the squad that to have a 17 year old that we all know isn't going to get a game (ala walcott). He has been there and done it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

They have injuries and they approached him. How is Larsson the villan?

By that logic, Stephen Ireland will never wear green again. Wait a minuite, maybe its not so bad after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Sweden were very short of strikers.

http://www.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/newsid=681935.html#sweden+seek+fellow+predator

Sweden seek a fellow predator

Sweden are still searching for the ideal striking foil for Zlatan Ibrahimović with Henrik Larsson still casting a long shadow over the nation's forwards.

Solid pairing
    Prior to the emergence of Ibrahimović, the front two pretty much picked itself, with Larsson and Marcus Allbäck forging a superb understanding. However, with the 36-year-old Larsson having retired from international football, and Allbäck, at 34, now used more often as a substitute, the big headache for coach Lars Lagerbäck is how to get the best out of the 26-year-old FC Internazionale Milano star.

Proven talent
    Ibrahimović's talent is not in doubt. He has impressed once more in Italy and in the UEFA Champions League this season, with 20 goals in all competitions, but the national team have not been able to fully exploit his abilities. Tellingly he has not scored for Sweden since 12 October 2005, and while the player himself is unconcerned provided results continue to go his side's way, fans are not.

Striking options
    The key, perhaps, is to find the right partner for the former Malmö FF and AFC Ajax star, and Lagerbäck has been checking out his options, with Johan Elmander, Markus Rosenberg, Marcus Berg and Rade Prica all having been given a chance to prove their worth, though the latter is probably out of the UEFA EURO 2008™frame due to a lack of first-team football at Sunderland AFC.

Elmander uncertainty
    At 26, Elmander might seem the best bet. After his club, Toulouse FC, enjoyed a superb season in 2006/07, he became a regular for Sweden, but things have been tougher in the current campaign. With Toulouse struggling in Ligue 1, the hard-working Elmander has gone slightly off the boil for Sweden, and having not scored for the national team since 2 June 2007, his first-team place is still not certain.

Supporting role
    In such circumstances, Allbäck might be considered for a starting role, but despite 29 goals in 71 international appearances, that may be expecting a lot. Now usually a substitute for Sweden, the FC København player has announced that UEFA EURO 2008™ will be his last finals tournament, and his imminent return to Swedish second division Örgryte IS suggests his best days are behind him.

Other options
    With ten Bundesliga goals for Werder Bremen, Rosenberg has shown class, but is yet to prove his worth against top-class opponents with Sweden, or indeed show that he can complement Ibrahimović, while at 21, prolific FC Groningen scorer Markus Berg does not possess the experience that the conservative Lagerbäck would prefer. If he goes to the finals, it will be to watch and learn.

Final foursome
    Traditionally, Lagerbäck has taken four strikers to final tournaments. For UEFA EURO 2004™ he chose Allbäck, Larsson, Ibrahimović and Mattias Johnson. For the 2006 FIFA World Cup he chose Allbäck, Larsson, Ibrahimović and Rosenberg. Exactly who he will choose to lead the line at UEFA EURO 2008™ could be the biggest question of the spring in Sweden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I think posters bad mouthing his inclusion in the squad are missing one important point - he is not taking anyones place.

In qualifying there are only 7 subs allowed, but in the tournament there is a 23 man squad and everyone is kitted out (12 subs).

Anyway, how anyone can begrudge his place in the squad is beyond me? He's an absolute diamond of a player/professional - you pick your best available players, end of story.

I think Lagerbacks treatment of an ageing Larsson the last few years has been absolutely perfect tbh.

On his spell at Utd. He will always be fondly remembered. There are a tiny percentage of players that could do what he did - come into Utds team for a short spell and hit the ground running. He played well in every game for us and hit the wavelength of his team mates immediately. I was well impressed with him at Utd, fulfilled all my high expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Oh right, well that's fair enough then. I was under the impression that he was just asked back.

Therefore, hope he does well.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

delighted the man is an absolute legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Could have great effect as an impact sub, last 20 mins of a match to purely attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

"I have in my team the greatest striker of the last decade. His name is Henrik Larsson"

Samuel Eto'o

"You should talk about the proper footballer and that is Henrik Larsson."

Thierry Henry

"Henrik was my idol"
    Ronaldinho.

That basically sums up what an amazing player he has been. Im delighted to him play once again for Sweden, remember the penalty he missed in the WC (was it against Germany?), if he had scored that he would be Swedens new top goal scorer of all time, I hope he breaks that now... If Im wrong, then apologies, but Im nostalgic like that!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

What can man say.....LARSSON YOU ARE A LEGEND!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

As a Spurs supporter and an ABU I was invited to attend the Utd. Villa game at Old Trafford when Henrik made his Utd. debut and scored. That is the only time in my life I will ever applaude and cheer a Utd. Goal. The guy is an absolute hero and can still do a job for Sweden.

Advertisement