Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Sligo are you from?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Cranmore Estate - and pwwwoud!! in what is formerly known as Banks Drive

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Cypresstree

I was born there, lived there till I was 11!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Ah lads, what a classic abode:D

Seriously it had to be the worst Corporation Estate in Sligo. When holidaying with cousins in dear old Benson Drive, as a child I was filled with fear and loathing at the oldie worldie open air garage sites and general air of illiteracy wafting in the ether. Fair play my fine bucanneers for getting out of that 1970s Hood Hell.

I'd hesitate to state that many from Banks Drive -- when in possession of computer paraphenalia had intentions beyond emails, if only to get a buyer!

I on the other hand hail from fair Machaire Bui -- Yeats wrote about it you know!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Nice generalisation there buddy!

Gillie wrote: »
    Nice generalisation there buddy!

generally correct!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I on the other hand hail from fair Machaire Bui -- Yeats wrote about it you know!:cool:

Ya; well yeats wrote about kissing girls too,
    so I wouldn't be getting too excited!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Seriously it had to be the worst Corporation Estate in Sligo. When holidaying with cousins in dear old Benson Drive, as a child I was filled with fear and loathing at the oldie worldie open air garage sites and general air of illiteracy wafting in the ether. Fair play my fine bucanneers for getting out of that 1970s Hood Hell.

I'd hesitate to state that many from Banks Drive -- when in possession of computer paraphenalia had intentions beyond emails, if only to get a buyer!

If it was such a dump why did you go on holidays there?

If it was such a dump why did you go on holidays there?

A lot of kids have no choice where they go! and generally are thankful just to get off the street that they live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Lived in Dromard,Old Bundoran Road,Rathbraughan,Rathcormac and now Ballymote and soon Cooloney

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Mountain Close.
    Most people call it Cartron Point though!

Jinx.... well about a few years ago.
    Born in Ballisodare... now in Cork... occasionally reside in Collooney

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

trilo wrote: »
    Jinx.... well about a few years ago.
    Born in Ballisodare... now in Cork... occasionally reside in Collooney

Us Laneys have no time for ye Looneys.. feckin Looneys. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

generally correct!

As all generalisations mostly are. Mostly.

generally correct!

well actually no it isnt, the vast majority in Cranmore in the 70's and 80's (time he was on about) were and i assume still are sound

so not only is it not generally correct
    its not generally incorrect either
    as it is extremely incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Grange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

elshambo wrote: »
    well actually no it isnt, the vast majority in Cranmore in the 70's and 80's (time he was on about) were and i assume still are sound

so not only is it not generally correct
    its not generally incorrect either
    as it is extremely incorrect

+1

cranmore, altho there are some bad eggs a vast majority are nice people

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Us Laneys have no time for ye Looneys.. feckin Looneys. ;)

Hee hee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Cranmore, so watch what ye say or I'll come round your fecking house..............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Well El Shambo

Got a bee in your bonnet re the Big Tree, eh!:D

If you'd deck it -- we were buzzing. When I wrote of Banks Drive -- unless you walked around with smashed rose tinted spectacles, you were either blind or stupid to realise that particular address was dire.

Not just the houses, ie there physical condition -- but I mean, bottom of the barrell dirtbags (not all, but quite enough for the place to be a festering social eyesore).

Re Cranmore being alright -- consider these
    1. All the better tenants left, as soon as they could, for places like 'Cranmore 2' -- sorry, I mean Crozon Downs.
    2. Dickensian Chimney Hell - Smog of my Youth.
    3. Urban decay, with alleys etc boarded up.
    4. Shootings.
    5. Most of now houses boarded up -- and plenty of ex-Cranmore filth moved to new Caltragh.

Listen, son, I went out with girls from Cranmore, my cousins lived there, I played and f1ucked about there in the 80s/90s -- it was a sh1te hole then, a joke, a kip to get out of -- and anyone from Cranmore, who was interested in listening was told this by me. Not to offend them. But merely as to outline my point of view.

Where did most of the people come from in Cranmore? Other kips, like the Hill, Garavogue, MCR etc -- despicable dumps. Many of the people are grand from these places, Sligo people have a great sense of humour (I could say to compensate for what we are not) but as I said the better aka 'the more aspirant non-intergenerational doleites' got out as soon as they could.

My heart sinks for those poor little f1uckers (in gangs of 5/6, thinking their hard, with tracksuits and slapped down hair-dos) spewing out from the alley at Pilkington Tce into the dark of a Winter's Night -- many will but perpetuate the lifestyles of their forebearers.

Harsh - but generally, and increasingly true.

Well El Shambo

Got a bee in your bonnet re the Big Tree, eh!:D

If you'd deck it -- we were buzzing. When I wrote of Banks Drive -- unless you walked around with smashed rose tinted spectacles, you were either blind or stupid to realise that particular address was dire.

Not just the houses, ie there physical condition -- but I mean, bottom of the barrell dirtbags (not all, but quite enough for the place to be a festering social eyesore).

Re Cranmore being alright -- consider these
    1. All the better tenants left, as soon as they could, for places like 'Cranmore 2' -- sorry, I mean Crozon Downs.
    2. Dickensian Chimney Hell - Smog of my Youth.
    3. Urban decay, with alleys etc boarded up.
    4. Shootings.
    5. Most of now houses boarded up -- and plenty of ex-Cranmore filth moved to new Caltragh.

Listen, son, I went out with girls from Cranmore, my cousins lived there, I played and f1ucked about there in the 80s/90s -- it was a sh1te hole then, a joke, a kip to get out of -- and anyone from Cranmore, who was interested in listening was told this by me. Not to offend them. But merely as to outline my point of view.

Where did most of the people come from in Cranmore? Other kips, like the Hill, Garavogue, MCR etc -- despicable dumps. Many of the people are grand from these places, Sligo people have a great sense of humour (I could say to compensate for what we are not) but as I said the better aka 'the more aspirant non-intergenerational doleites' got out as soon as they could.

My heart sinks for those poor little f1uckers (in gangs of 5/6, thinking their hard, with tracksuits and slapped down hair-dos) spewing out from the alley at Pilkington Tce into the dark of a Winter's Night -- many will but perpetuate the lifestyles of their forebearers.

Harsh - but generally, and increasingly true.

Was it not you that was calling out gang songs in an earlier post?
    Fine middle class area yer from yourself:o:eek:

Trolling for a interweb fight are we?
    Yer trying too hard!
    Must be awful to dislike yourself that much?:eek:
    go have a little cry for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

ShellyRiver is taking a week off. Elshambo infracted.

Please just report posts and wait for us to deal with it. Don't feed the troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Grange

Me too :)

Do you mind me asking what age you are? (Maybe we know each other)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

i can remember when the first houses in cranmore were allocated
    to families back in the 70's:eek:......this estate was the 'model for a new age' at the time and i still recall the excitement at the promise the future held for the people moving there,as it turns out the model was a poor one,
    not because of the people who called it home.... rather it was poor planning that allowed the development to grow unchecked until it became
    unmanagable....some stats if you will;when taken in context cranmore is
    the biggest 'village' in Co Sligo,by population its bigger than either ballymote or tubbercurry.....somewhere in the region of 2,500 people
    in 511 houses on less than 30 acres! it is a microcosm of our society,
    good people and bad...i know families there who will say they can't wait to leave and others who could never think of leaving....by and large people get on with life and with each other(or as best you can when living in a density of 20+ houses to an acre)....to write them all off with one brushstroke shows a complete lack of understanding of the problems of urban society.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Guys could we keep any personal discussion to PM please?

I'm not really comfortable with peoples names being mentioned when they aren't posting themselves. And age etc, (imo) belongs in PM also, but I'll leave that up to yourselves. If you're comfortable posting that info on here you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

''Where did most of the people come from in Cranmore? Other kips, like the Hill, Garavogue, MCR etc -- despicable dumps.''

The above was part of a post by shellyriver. It's hard to believe it as his first ever post concerning Lissadell was great.

What is the combined population of Cranmore, The Hill, Garavogue and Mail Coach Road I wonder?
    Whatever it is, this guy has managed to insult every one of them with one post.... One week eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Jabby wrote: »

''Where did most of the people come from in Cranmore? Other kips, like the Hill, Garavogue, MCR etc -- despicable dumps.''

The above was part of a post by shellyriver. It's hard to believe it as his first ever post concerning Lissadell was great.

What is the combined population of Cranmore, The Hill, Garavogue and Mail Coach Road I wonder?
    Whatever it is, this guy has managed to insult every one of them with one post.... One week eh!

It's alrite, let him walk down their himself and tell them:P

I'm from ballytivnan, the woodlands MotherF***er:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

dardevle wrote: »
    i can remember when the first houses in cranmore were allocated
    to families back in the 70's:eek:......this estate was the 'model for a new age' at the time and i still recall the excitement at the promise the future held for the people moving there,as it turns out the model was a poor one,
    not because of the people who called it home.... rather it was poor planning that allowed the development to grow unchecked until it became
    unmanagable....some stats if you will;when taken in context cranmore is
    the biggest 'village' in Co Sligo,by population its bigger than either ballymote or tubbercurry.....somewhere in the region of 2,500 people
    in 511 houses on less than 30 acres! it is a microcosm of our society,
    good people and bad...i know families there who will say they can't wait to leave and others who could never think of leaving....by and large people get on with life and with each other(or as best you can when living in a density of 20+ houses to an acre)....to write them all off with one brushstroke shows a complete lack of understanding of the problems of urban society.:(

Although I don't believe that everyone in cranmore is a problem, 2 500 people over 30 acres is absolutely nothing in terms of density, so that's not the problem.

Xiney wrote: »
    Although I don't believe that everyone in cranmore is a problem, 2 500 people over 30 acres is absolutely nothing in terms of density, so that's not the problem.

your right!
    except:
    it is in Ireland (is or was the biggest in west),
    well at least to those who will not have lived in such a place
    and so gets a ghetto image off people who having 5 houses on the same street is a big deal

So in the context of Ireland, 2500 people over 30 acres is a big deal

&
    Im pretty sure his point is how it was done not that it was done, people who moved there early on were lead to believe they were the last

There are only 3 streets with cranmore in the name, thats the original cranmore (about 100 houses), the rest was built years later with no thought for the people moving in (xiney, go have a look in the back left area, if its still there)

Town planning 101 for Irish politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

There certainly is no town planning in Ireland to speak of.

The boarded up houses everywhere around the place though, how are people supposed to feel pride in their community when houses are allowed to rot in situ with rubbish all around?

If they're going to close them up for that long, they're obviously not going to reopen them (it would cost too much to get rid of the water damage that will have settled in at this stage) so they should knock them and get things looking nice again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xiney wrote: »
    There certainly is no town planning in Ireland to speak of.

The boarded up houses everywhere around the place though, how are people supposed to feel pride in their community when houses are allowed to rot in situ with rubbish all around?

If they're going to close them up for that long, they're obviously not going to reopen them (it would cost too much to get rid of the water damage that will have settled in at this stage) so they should knock them and get things looking nice again.

The center block is all but boarded up now. Its part of the regeneration project. All council tennants have been rehoused and all private owners have been bought out. The plan is to demolish the center block and rebuild a new thing there. Flats shops etc. etc. I'm looking forward to it. The worst thing about cranmore is the name which its carried along with its stigma for years tbh. When this is done it should improve the value of the houses around the place (recession excluded) I will conceede that its an awful sight having to drive past boarded up houses every day, and its such a waste. Like a ghost town, and all the gardens are overgrown.

In one street alone they renovated three or four houses not 12 months ago to rehouse people. They are gone again and all that money that was spend on the houses was for nothing, its a terrible waste. Wish I had the dosh to get some new windows and decorating.....

The demolition was meant to begin in December last year, but still nothing done. After all we were only 12 month late getting the CCTV cameras installed. I really hope they continue with the plan. It'll be kak for a while when the work is going on but it should be good once its finished. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Atomic53

Hi,
    I used to know someone who came from Banks Drive, I lost contact but as all the addresses have changed I don’t know what the new one might be, were the road numbers preserved when it was changed to Racecourse View?
    I knew him from around 1992 so a while ago now,
    He stayed with me for a year or so in England, just wondering what happened to him.
    Thanks

Advertisement