Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"This disc is unreadable"

• 14-05-2008 7:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm starting to get this "disc unreadable" error on every game I try to play. GTA 4 seems to be the worst as I can play a max of 4 minutes before this message pops up.

Any ideas on how I could fix this? I really don't want to send it to MS again as this will be the 4th replacement :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Yip, sounds like the beginning of the end!!!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Is your console in a dusty room at all?

Try and use a DVD/CD Lens cleaner or even blow some compressed air into the disc tray. The lens on the 360 (particularly when sitting Horziontal) can be prone to picking up dust which can cause it to have problems reading the disc and thus generatoring the "Disc is Unreadable" error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

The red rings loom methinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm thinking the same thing lads, 4th fcukin time the thing will be going back if it does RROD. Haven't thought about the dust Winters, and the Xbox is laying horizontal as well. Must try that tonight, and hopefully I can get back to GTA!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I know this may sound ridiculous but... do you smoke in the room alot where the Xbox is located?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

My Xbox has been giving me trouble for quite some time. It's gotten to the point where I can't play GTA4 for prolonged sessions. I find it's worse when it's vertical, but still occurs sporadically when horizontal.

I don't know whether to wait for the RROD (or maybe drop it to help it on it's way?), or just send it back to Microsoft and pay for the new DVD drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

My advice, get rid of it and get a new one if you can.Sending it back to microsoft will only fix it for a bit unless its totally ****ed up and they replace it. I have gotten so fed up with constant problems with my xbox I hardly play it any more and have decided to just start playing games on the pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Don't go waste your money on a new one...

Call Microsoft xbox support and they'll book it in for repair, if it has to go more than 3 times for repair they have to replace it with a new one by law...

here's the phone number be near your xbox when you call

Phone

Assistance by phone:

1 800 509 186
    or +353 12420758 from a mobile phone
    Hearing Impaired (TTY device):
    1 800 509 197
    Hours of operation:
    Monday-Friday: 09:00-22:00
    Saturday: 09:00-20:00
    Sunday: 09:00-17:00

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluenessy

i had the same issue and i sent it to microsoft. they sent it back 2 weeks later stating they could not fix the issue so gave me a replacement. you should ring and at least see what they have to say on the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

i get this sometimes, but only on FIFA 08 and GTA IV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

try a DVD lens cleaner

was happening to me the whole time with GTA IV, it happens less and less now each time i use it.

only a temp fix though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

It happens to me too within the first few minutes, mostly on Mass Effect or GTA4. After it happens once I take it out wipe it with my glasses cloth and put it back, no more problem and I played it for a good solid 3 hours after that.

It's been like that now for 8 months.

You hear like a clicking noise coming from the xbox, like the laser lost it's position on the disc, or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 burtisgood

this has happened me lots of times with my cod4 disc. no marks on it, no other game complains, just this one. ive tried cleaners and wiping the game but still acts up. now anytime it happens i fire the game into my laptop, the same message is displayed then i fire it back to the xbox and it works a treat. maybe just coincidence but i dont argue with the results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'm getting freezing at various points while playing the fourth disc of Lost Odyssey. I've actually just turned off my 360 after it happened twice in a row. I'm not even surprised. Pay hundreds of euro to do some gaming and all your left with is frustration. **** it, ignore me, I'm just in a bad mood. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm just going to send it back to MS, but not for repair. This will be the 4th time the 360 has crapped out on me, so I'm now demanding a replacement. Hopefully I'll get to speak to some nice sueprvisor who will send me an Elite ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

This actually worked for me!
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=xo2c2x8idjc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Sandor I dont think your 360 is totally to blame for the Lost Odyessey 4th disc freezing. Ive read stories that some peoples 4th discs arrive banjaxed out the box. Worth reading into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Sandor I dont think your 360 is totally to blame for the Lost Odyessey 4th disc freezing. Ive read stories that some peoples 4th discs arrive banjaxed out the box. Worth reading into.

Grrrrr.. ya I've been looking around on other forums. It seems to happen to a few people. I suppose I'll have to bring the game back to the shop tomorrow. I bought it a few weeks ago though. Close to a month actually, but not a month just yet. Think they'll give me a replacement disc or tell me to cram it? Either way I'll argue my hole off, in the politest possible manner.

Advertisement