Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lidl Silvercrest sl65 receiver no Sky News, ITV2 or BBC News after autoscan.

• 14-05-2008 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Bought this system in Lidl couple of week’s back and using various forums and Internet help got it up and running fairly quickly, within 30 after mounting it on the wall. 57cm dish with silvercrest SL65 receiver.

Picked up Astra 28.2 fairly easy using the tone kit.

The unit came pre-programmed for a few FTA channels BBC 1 & 2, ITV 1& 2, sky News etc, which worked.

However I done a full scan of all available FTA channels, it picked up all the regional ones of BBC ITV and some more. My issue has been I cannot get Sky News, BBC News 24 and ITV 2 after the rescan. I know Sky news & ITV2 worked spot on first time. So I deleted all channels done another rescan and this time every channel picked up worked but no sky news or bbc news. Heard from another forum that BBC News 24 is now BBC news.
    I should say my signal strength is around constant 75% - 76%.

I did prick around moving the unit across and up/down. The LNB seems a set position and does not look like much adjustment is possible. Could stand corrected on this point. Messed with the LNB rotating it and it did bring my signal strength up from 71% to 75%.

Just to test the dish I went to a fully working Sky Digital system (80CM dish) swapped out the sky receiver for the silvercrest, done another full channel scan and still the same basic result with no Sky News / ITV2 and BBC news 24; all showing no signal. Note at this time I did not realise that a full scan preserved you old channel listing and mearly added new channels on to your channels picked up I am trying this again today with a delete and rescan.

This surely points to an issue in the box with the auto setting not configuring the exact correct setting in a non sky box?? (Or am I paranoid against the Murdock corp?)

This evening got my hands on an old sky digital box plugged it into the Lidl satellite dish and picked up all FTA channels like Sky news, CNN, Bloomberg without issue.

So this surely confirms the silvercrest box settings are my issues. Do you need to change a channels setting manually after auto scan? Or are these channels hidden under a non-descriptive channel number?

Has anyone any similar problems help appreciated?

Regards
    Andrew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

Your dish/LNB is probably alligned correctly if other STBs are getting the channels the SL65 is missing.

Try scanning the transponders for each of these channels separately (TP scan in the Installation menu; make sure you have the correct sat selected at the top).

12207 V 27500 - Sky News
    11954 H 27500 - BBC News
    10758 V 22000 - ITV 2

Could be a slight glitch that would be corrected with a second scan. Never had this problem with this STB myself.

Are you getting channels like Zone Horror/Film24/Movies4Men? If you are, then LNB skew is probably not the issue. Also check if you getting channels in the same TP as the missing channels (http://www.flysat.com/28east.php), eg, Men and Motors and ITV4 are on the same TP as ITV 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

It's a bit of a bug with that box, sometimes when you do a scan, some channel become unviewable, it happened to me before. :confused:

Another thing you could do is to delete all the channels and do an auto-scan on 28.2E as this will remove all the channels pre-loaded on the box that dont exist anymore and will ensure you have everything that is currently available. Also it will automatically add the newly FTA channel 4 channels that went FTA last week.

The only thing with this though is that if you have manually moved channel numbers/renamed channels/sorted into groups etc. they wont be where you had them before. But if that isn't an issue for you I'd advise deleting all and rescanning again.

In case you're unsure how to do this.....

--->Menu--->Channel--->Delete All

--->Menu--->Installation--->Auto Scan

In Auto Scan choose Satellite = Astra 28.2E, Scan mode = Free, Scan Channel = TV & Radio & hit search. :)

Job Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Not to sure what you mean by on the same TP acronym?

I will try to rescan again this evening, does a firmware update sort this issue I will post the current version firmware on the next post. As I said old sky box seems fine on the Lidl Sat.

Cheers for the pointers.

Andrew

TP stands for transponder. The acronym is used in the menus. On remote, press:

Menu > Installation > TP Scan

Then make sure your Astra 28.2E is selected at the top, then change the "TP Index" to match the numbers I gave above. Instead of pressing the LEFT/RIGHT direction on the remote to change the index number, press "OK" when on the "TP Index", and you'll get a drop-down menu that allows you to skip up or down the list quickly using the "P+" or "P-" buttons on the remote.

And be sure to match all parts of the numbers (and letter) given. TP scan is very quick, takes only a few seconds.

I don't think a firmware update will be of any use, and I think you need the dish pointing at 19E for it to possibly work anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Not to sure what you mean by on the same TP acronym?

I will try to rescan again this evening, does a firmware update sort this issue I will post the current version firmware on the next post. As I said old sky box seems fine on the Lidl Sat.

Cheers for the pointers.

Andrew

Yes TP scan is just when you want to search one transponder, it wont be needed if you're doing the delete & autoscan though, but is handy when you want to add channels later on. :)

Warning:
    Be very careful when doing a firmware update on these boxes as they are very volitile. The last time I tried one it burned my power supply in it out. When this happened I called the support number on the silvercrest manual and talked to one of the techs and apparantly that is very common. Be warned. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Can you re programme an Irish sky box to receive bbc news ???
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

1huge1 wrote: »
    Can you re programme an Irish sky box to receive bbc news ???
    Thanks in advance
    11.954H, 27.5, 2/3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Shamrok wrote: »
    11.954H, 27.5, 2/3
    thanks mate

[FONT=&quot]Apologies to all for not closing out this question sooner.

The solution to this was quiet easy in the end the Antenna set-up was for horizontal polarity only.

It took me a good bit of reading to reach this simple solution so here goes:

Fix: under menu go to Antenna setup and under polarity make sure it says H/V, mine was saying H only, that's it.

System working fine since.

Andrew[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 duie

:confused:
    Hi.. I was just wondering if any one could help me.

I have the SilverCrest SL 65 system and I've set it up as per the manual instructions and every thing seems to be working normally, OSD, signal meter etc etc.

However, following searching for channels i have any thing from 90-100% signal but cannot get any picture quality.

Has anyone had the same problem?.

Does anyone Know how to solve this?

This is the second system i got from Lidil, I returned the first one thinking it was faulty but when I'm having the same problen I have to think that I'm doing something wrong.

Any help will be greatfully accepted.

• Advertisement

Hi. I am trying to view all pre programed channels to see if i can find any that work.
    I haven't got any picture or sound not even fuz or static just a black screen.
    I hope that will help. And that you might be able help me fix the probloem because their own help line is not very helpful

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Have you selected the right satellite (I presume Astra on 28 degrees east if you want BBC etc.)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You need to have the dish aligned to the correct location. In this case astra at 28east. Have a look at neighbours dishes for sky if they have them, this will give you a rough idea of the correct idea for it to be facing.

Yes I have the dish pointed same direction as my neighbours dish and I used a sat finder to get it.

I can get nearly full signal just cant get any picture quality at all it stays at 0% no matter what i've done no fuz no static no sounds nothing what so ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

You are more than likely pointing at the wrong satellite and receiving a signal off it, but not for the actual channels that you are trying to watch (because they are on another satellite)

As has been mentioned, the degree of movement between some satellites can be very slight and it is easy to receive a signal from the wrong one - even if it looks like you are roughly in the right direction.
    Roughly isn't enough, you need to be very precise with the positioning.

Make some slight movement changes in the direction that you are looking for and see can you pick up another signal, hopefully it will be the satellite you want and you then should see the channel that you have selected. Make sure the channel you have selected is actually broadcasting - if looking for Astra 2, I usually select BBC1 London as a reliable presence.

Positioning the dish can be a bit like water divining - you won't quite understand how it works, until you manage to do it for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

duie wrote: »
    Yes I have the dish pointed same direction as my neighbours dish and I used a sat finder to get it.

I can get nearly full signal just cant get any picture quality at all it stays at 0% no matter what i've done no fuz no static no sounds nothing what so ever

The problem you are describing is very strange. Can't imagine how you have near 100% on signal and zero on picture quality.

Can you try the box in a neighbour's house - swap out their sky box and see if you can get a picture on their tv with the lidl box?

what about the beeper in the menu on the lidl box? Have you used that ? If you get an uninterupted beep (like the old test card sound) then you are locked on something, and if you have an intermittant beep then you are off target.

Try the other satellites menus that are preprogrammed. You might be pointed at 19E (are your neighbours with the dish Polish ?)

Is the LNB skewed to the left - pointing to about 7 o clock ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

biologikal wrote: »

????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aminz2002

Hello Dear,
    I got Dish Antenna from Lidl. I got only some satellite which were there by default like Astra 19.2E , HotBird 13.0E and Astra 28.2E etc. But i could not manage to get other satellite like AsiaSat 3S, Paksat 1 etch. Please tell me how to get these channel. Secondly If i try to edit something, it ask for password but i did not get any password with this. Please tell me if someone know, where it get this password.

Regards,
    Amin

• Advertisement

The password is 1234

As regards other sats I cannot answer? You could try a firmware update from Astra 19.2e also the further you are from the orbiting satellites position the larger the disk you will require, the basic 80cm one in the lidl box will not suffice, check http://en.kingofsat.net/

That's all I know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can't easily get sats below 14 degree elevation.
    With big dish and clear view to horizons you can get down to 10 degree elevation.

AsiaSat 3S, Paksat 1 etc impossible from UK & Ireland. In Mid West Ireland, the 42E Turksat is realistic furthest east. About 52W possible, but I think maybe nothing with suitable beam beyond 45W.

Satellites have an angled "beam" so having good elevation/view isn't enough. You can't receive ANY beams of Amos @4W or the East Beams of 42E. so on www.lyngsat.com do check footprint. Dish size is optimistic and for clear sky. For Rain you need bigger dish than footprint suggests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

If "1234" doesn't work, try "0000".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aminz2002

Thanks,
    I manage to get password thing which is "0000" but on other thing,i still need to do something or return the dish antenna!!
    Regards,
    Amin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

aminz2002 wrote: »
    ... but on other thing,i still need to do something or return the dish antenna!!
    Regards,
    Amin

If you mean getting Paksat and Asiasat, as already said, if you're in Ireland, forget it, you're not in the footprint of the beams from these 2 satellites:

http://www.flysat.com/paksat1-beam.php
    http://www.flysat.com/asiasat3s-beam.php

http://www.flysat.com/asiasat3s.php

If there isn't a Paksat or Asiasat (or other satellite like Thor @ 1W for example) list on your receiver, you can add a new satellite, and do an autoscan for any satellite that is receivable at your location, with the dish pointed to that satellite, but again, since you're not in the footprint for those 2 satellites, you're not going to get them.

Advertisement