Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cramps

Options
  • 14-05-2008 9:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,

While cycling to the job this morning, after having done 10min on the bike, i got a cramp in my left leg. I had to stop after 200metres, then I kept cycling and i got one on my right leg, starting of the knee up to my hips but from inside.

Had to stop again, stretch, and kept cycling. It was the only way i could come to the job this week,as i had to be early by.
    I did strecth a little bit this morning before i left home, thing that i usually don't do, and for once i do,i get pain.

I was thinking in seeing a professional for some massage, bike positioning and alimentation and nutrition (diet).
    I live in the north side dublin city (phisboro-glasnevin), so would be great to get somebody in the area

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

There's a physiotherapist in Stoneybatter called something Sexton - I think it's Mark Sexton. I've heard him recommended from a few sources. Don't think he does the nutritional stuff, though. As for bike positioning, I'd say your best bet is to ask someone in a bike shop to look at that. (Would probably help if you were buying something, I'd imagine!)
    erizo wrote: »
    Hi all,

While cycling to the job this morning, after having done 10min on the bike, i got a cramp in my left leg. I had to stop after 200metres, then I kept cycling and i got one on my right leg, starting of the knee up to my hips but from inside.

Had to stop again, stretch, and kept cycling. It was the only way i could come to the job this week,as i had to be early by.
    I did strecth a little bit this morning before i left home, thing that i usually don't do, and for once i do,i get pain.

I was thinking in seeing a professional for some massage, bike positioning and alimentation and nutrition (diet).
    I live in the north side dublin city (phisboro-glasnevin), so would be great to get somebody in the area

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭erizo

i got some suggestions from my girlfriend, as she has been to these phisyos before.

Milltown Physiotherapy

The Physio Company (Temple bar

any advise?

I found a previous thread that advises Mark Sexton, Manor Physiotherapist, or Paul Tansey. Will probably go to Mark sexton as it is closer for me on a work day.

Any doctors that would look into diet?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

why do you need to see a nutritionist - is there something specifically you need checked (e.g. allergies, bowel problems etc) or do you just want to eat healthier? If it's the latter then there's plenty of advice on the web regarding this - basically look at the values on the stuff you buy and try buy stuff with lower sodium, saturated fats, and keep an eye on your calorific intake. It's really quite simple, as long as you pay some attention to your intakes. I'd give that a go first rather than paying a doctor or someone to tell you to use some common sense.

Unless of course you're looking to dump a load of weight or something drastic enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I wouldn't bother seeing a phyisio or any health professional just yet, unless it is something you were thinking of doing generally before you got this cramp or if it becomes a recurring problem you can't sort out yourself.

Read wikipedia on cramps, make sure your not dehydrated from exercise the previous night and take a multi-vitamin, see if it happens tomorrow ... cramps aren't pleasant but they aren't that serious either ...

• Advertisement

firstly, i weight 95 kilo, and i thought with all the lately cycling i had lost some weight, but i haven't, therefore there must be something I'm eating it is not helping me lose weight. I can also use the girlie magazines for summer diets too!!:pac:
    If the professional is good and fair, even if he charges a good money, can take care of you professionally.

Secondly, I was thinking in going to the physio before, as 2 weeks ago while cycling up to hacketstown i run out of energy in my legs, and i need some massge and advice. I arrived home, had dinner (that day) and i was feeling great, except for tired legs.

so i guess that advice from professionals would suit me.
    I use to race 10 years ago, and a nutritionist and the physio helped me a lot.

Sorry guys, maybe i didn't make it clear. After i got the pain, i kept cycling for 10 k, as it was the only way for me to be on time in the office, and everytime i get up from the chair or walk for few meters it is really painfull.
    Otherwise i wouldn't consider going for a massage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

lots of Neurofen! You might want to rest the legs today, get the bike collected from work and plan to get in by other means in case you don't feel good tomorrow.

rob1891 wrote: »
    lots of Neurofen! You might want to rest the legs today, get the bike collected from work and plan to get in by other means in case you don't feel good tomorrow.

plus lots of care from the girlfriend :D, some ice and a good massage from her for now. will not make it so drastic! :)

A friend will drive me back home with the bike on the boot, so i'm lucky on that.

Thanks for all the advises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hey Erizo,id recommend Mark Sexton,he deals with a lot of cyclists,he really helped me with some baaaaad sciatica,if hes near you give him a shot,hes a good guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭blanco

I'd recomend Mark Sexton also or this guy on the south side. Peak_performance@dublin.ie 086 3236303

The cramp could also be down to how your saddle is positioned. Is it turned slightly to one side?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

pedaling needs to be up down, straight legs.

Do your knees remain near to straight over the pedals or do they wander away from the frame during your pedal stroke?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Quinine Tonic Water.
    TUC biscuits.

Both are proven remedies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

OP I had a problem like this. I'm not sure if it was cramp because I could still cycle but my legs were in severe pain and my thigh muscles were like concrete bricks.
    I figured it had to be to do with posture and positioning on the bike because there was no way anything else could have caused it. I had the saddle down as low as it could go because I'm quite short (not a complete dwarf or anything) and I think it must have been causing undue stress on my legs.

So I'de say check the way your sitting, saddle height etc. because it sounds similiar to my problem.

Advertisement