Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogba you complete plank

• 14-05-2008 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has reportedly stunned the club by revealing his dream is to play for AC Milan.

That's according to the Sun, with Drogba admitting that he met Milan defender Paolo Maldini and officials at the start of last season, daring them to buy him.

Drogba is quoted as saying: "All footballers dream of signing for AC Milan. I explained to Paolo Maldini that Milan is a club I would love to join."

Moving on: Didier Drogba wants to play at the San Siro
    In his autobiography, Drogba reveals he flew to Milan on a private jet and, upon his arrival, "bumped into" the club's vice-president Adriano Galliani, who allegedly asked him 'When would you like to play for Milan?'

Drogba is then quoted as saying: "Whenever you want, it's all up to you. Get the money ready and go see Chelsea."

It also seems that Jose Mourinho, in charge of Chelsea at the time, found out about the trip and was furious that the striker lied to him. Apparently, Drogba had told the Portuguese coach that he was going for a dental appointment in Paris.

The Ivorian said: "Jose took the phone and put it on loudspeaker and said: 'Ok, seeing as we are not kids we are going to talk. I trusted you, I've done everything for you and there you are telling me you're going to the dentist in Paris when in fact you're in Milan talking over your transfer. You lied to me. You didn't keep your word. Have you been badly brought up or what?'"

Meanwhile, fresh from losing out on the Premier League title to Manchester United on the final day of the season, the recriminations are already being thrown about by frustrated Chelsea players.

The latest outburst comes from Drogba who, according to the Express, 'has launched an astonishing attack on his Chelsea team-mates - branding them complacent and careless'.

Drogba has supposedly claimed that the difference between Chelsea and United is the greater professionalism of Sir Alex Ferguson's men, and pin-pointed late goals conceded against Bolton, Aston Villa, Wigan and Everton as the reason they lost out on first place.

Drogba is quoted as saying: "Losing those eight points was massive for us. It is far too many for us to lay claim to being champions.

"It is certainly proof of an excess of complacency and a lack of concentration on our part. Each time we had the title in our hands, but sometimes we mentally finish games before the referee blows the final whistle."

A week before the CL final he goes and releases this
    What on earth is wrong with some people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

ballack will kick his a%s for this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Mega-Lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

stupid that he says this a week before the biggest game of his career, although it is The Sun

either he is desperate for a move or he is desperate for a new contract:D

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Just like school in July this clown has no class....diving cheating c**t...as Bazbox says it is the S*n, they are assclowns as much as Drogba.

JFT 96
    YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

BazBox wrote: »
    stupid that he says this a week before the biggest game of his career, although it is The Sun

either he is desperate for a move or he is desperate for a new contract:D

Absolute madness.
    If this doesnt seal his fate in the summer i dont know what will.
    Plank plank plank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

That must do wonders for team spirit.
    What a plank.

"It is certainly proof of an excess of complacency and a lack of concentration on our part. Each time we had the title in our hands, but sometimes we mentally finish games before the referee blows the final whistle"

I guess if your day dreaming of playing for another team/counting down the time 'til you can leave the club while your on the pitch that can actually happen.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In his autobiography

So he didn't actually just come out and announce he wants to go to Milan before the CL final. Sounds like the Sun have specifically waited until the eve of the game to release the story so that it generates bigger waves, like it has here.

But don't let that get in the way of your Drogba bashing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Still can't get over what happened when he knee'd Vidic in the face.

He was in mid dive mode when he realised how bad Vidic was and he stopped. Couldn't stop laughing.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

In his autobiography

So he didn't actually just come out and announce he wants to go to Milan before the CL final. Sounds like the Sun have specifically waited until the eve of the game to release the story so that it generates bigger waves, like it has here.

Read the second half of the post and get off your high horse :rolleyes:
    He criticised all his team mates after they lost the premiership which is all
    of 2-3 days ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

it just confirms what we all knew about him anyway.

Chelsea are a lot mentally stronger this season than people give them credit for. I think this might galvanise them further, Ballack, Lampard and Terry especially will be raging at this.

still... you'd wonder should Drogba be left at home for it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

IrishMike wrote: »
    He criticised all his team mates after they lost the premiership which is all of 2-3 days ago
    Which is completely seperate to any claims of wanting to go to Milan. Also, he included himself in his critique of their PL performance, and nothing he said was particularly unfair. His teammates would probably agree with him.

But as I say, don't let the details get in the way of your Drogba bashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

There is two words there that make me not beleive any of it.

The Sun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

still... you'd wonder should Drogba be left at home for it.

he shouldnt be, he may be a muppet but still a prolific goal scorer and the chelski team are professionals and wont let off the pitch scuffles throw their on the pitch performance!

as i utd fan i hope they do leave him at home! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Ok a few things before the Drogba/Chelsea bashing really kicks off.

The Sun. Enough said.

As for the book. Its not due out until the end of this month so there is some stuff in it about the prem this season.

The bit about milan and also the bit that everyone is barking over. One name in here can clear this up. Jose Mourinho. How long since he was at the bridge? Exactly. All this happened last summer. We had it all then, it was in the news, we discussed it then and it was common knowledge then so its note like a bomb that has just dropped all over Chelsea.

Whe he said about closing off games is true, there is no malice there. Several players including JT, Ballack and Lamps have all said the same thing recently so whats the problem?

Now are we done with the boards/sun sensational exclusives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd agree with Pepe on this. It's just tabloid journalism at it's best/worst. You can read into what you will but it's the Sun that's putting the spin on it.

Mind you, you'd have to laugh at Mourinho getting all stroppy about players being tapped up. Pot, Kettle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Drogba is quoted as saying: "Losing those eight points was massive for us. It is far too many for us to lay claim to being champions.

"It is certainly proof of an excess of complacency and a lack of concentration on our part. Each time we had the title in our hands, but sometimes we mentally finish games before the referee blows the final whistle."

This is all he said. Sounds reasonable. The rest is from his autobiography and sensationalist bull****. I don't like Drogba, but in this case he hasn't done anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

iregk wrote: »
    Ok a few things before the Drogba/Chelsea bashing really kicks off.

The Sun. Enough said.

As for the book. Its not due out until the end of this month so there is some stuff in it about the prem this season.

The bit about milan and also the bit that everyone is barking over. One name in here can clear this up. Jose Mourinho. How long since he was at the bridge? Exactly. All this happened last summer. We had it all then, it was in the news, we discussed it then and it was common knowledge then so its note like a bomb that has just dropped all over Chelsea.

Whe he said about closing off games is true, there is no malice there. Several players including JT, Ballack and Lamps have all said the same thing recently so whats the problem?

Now are we done with the boards/sun sensational exclusives?

+1
    With it being the Sun the extract is taken well out of context, theres probably a paragraph right before this clearly saying it all happened a year ago and all is well now.*
    Its already been mentioned a few times but he's hardly knocking his teammates in the other bit, they've all said it.

*Even though realistically he may still go this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Drogba wrote:
    "It is certainly proof of an excess of complacency and a lack of concentration on our part. Each time we had the title in our hands, but sometimes we mentally finish games before the referee blows the final whistle"

He has a good point here. We effectively lost the league conceding late late equalisers against Everton, Wigan and Bolton.

Having said that he is an absolute tool and I really think we should sell him. One great season for us and one good game this season. He is really overrated and if we could get a more talented, consistant player like Ibra as his replacement I'd be happy to see him go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

of 2-3 days ago

i see no criticising there, just truth

note how he says WE, so he includes himself there.
    he is right, its not as if he is singling out players and slating them.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    He has a good point here. We effectively lost the league conceding late late equalisers against Everton, Wigan and Bolton.

Having said that he is an absolute tool and I really think we should sell him. One great season for us and one good game this season. He is really overrated and if we could get a more talented, consistant player like Ibra as his replacement I'd be happy to see him go

Ibra as in Ibrahimovic?? great player and would be good in the premiership but is he really as talented and consistent as drogba, did nothing against Liverpool in the champions league and left Juve high and dry when they got relegated. I think ye can get better players than him if Drogba goes

Ibra as in Ibrahimovic?? great player and would be good in the premiership but is he really as talented and consistent as drogba, did nothing against Liverpool in the champions league and left Juve high and dry when they got relegated. I think ye can get better players than him if Drogba goes

Drogba is very inconsistent. Been with us for 4 seasons, has had 1 good one, and 2 terrible ones. Ibra left Juve because they got relegated and they asked him to take a paycut. i'm both a Juve and Chelsea fan (vialli) and it wasn't so much of feeling betrayed by those who left but being grateful for those who stayed. You can't just judge him on the Liverpool game and he is one of the few players who is great in the air and on the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Drogba is very inconsistent. Been with us for 4 seasons, has had 1 good one, and 2 terrible ones. Ibra left Juve because they got relegated and they asked him to take a paycut. i'm both a Juve and Chelsea fan (vialli) and it wasn't so much of feeling betrayed by those who left but being grateful for those who stayed. You can't just judge him on the Liverpool game and he is one of the few players who is great in the air and on the floor

He has played against Liverpool 4 times in big games in the Champions League both with Juve and Inter has been useless. For all the hype he fails to deliver when it matters against the big teams in the crucial stages in the biggest club competition in the world. Highly overrated....in my view. I would rate Cruz more that Ibrahimovic at least you know what you will get every game he plays for you.

Fair enough I dont watch much Italian football and can only go by the champions league games I have seen him play but there are better strikers out there in my opinion who are better in the air and on the ground: Torres, Adebayor, Klose, Toni etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Was just reading this and though it was hilarious tbh. Especially:
    The Ivorian said: "Jose took the phone and put it on loudspeaker and said: 'Ok, seeing as we are not kids we are going to talk. I trusted you, I've done everything for you and there you are telling me you're going to the dentist in Paris when in fact you're in Milan talking over your transfer. You lied to me. You didn't keep your word. Have you been badly brought up or what?'"

As for Ballack kicking his ass - I'd like to see that fight. The carry on of him during the United game where he literally fought Ballack over the ball to take a free kick. It was pathetic to see. Essien's reaction was brilliant - hands on head completely incredulous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Jdiving cheating c**t

People in glasshouses etc...

The Bolton equaliser had no effect whatsoever on the outcome of the league because United won their game anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

The Bolton equaliser had no effect whatsoever on the outcome of the league because United won their game anyway
    The Bolton result was too little too late alright, but the league is won over 38 games. If we didnt concede late equalisers against Wigan and Bolton for example, we win the league. Its the manner in which these points were lost thats the problem hes pointing out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

in fairness he has been saying all year he wants to leave.

bye bye didier.

topnutz wrote: »
    The Bolton result was too little too late alright, but the league is won over 38 games. If we didnt concede late equalisers against Wigan and Bolton for example, we win the league. Its the manner in which these points were lost thats the problem hes pointing out

Which is fair enough but didn't see why he mentioned Bolton.
    Same could be said for United though - we dropped points which allowed Chelsea have an outside shot. Same for Arsenal really

I remember the second year we won it we won at least 4 games in the last minute (Gallas' screamer against Spurs being an example) but this year I cant think of one example and I can think of a few where we dropped points. Bolton was just another example of that, no reason to leave it out.Man Utd picked up more points than they lost in the deaths of games and Arsenal just chocked, plain and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

In his autobiography

NAIL ON HEAD.
    of 2-3 days ago

Nothing wrong with what Drogba said in the second half of article - honest assesment of where they fell short this season.

...shame on you OP and countless others who can't see through the tabloid sensationalist crap. It's the same thing every day in most stories and the majority take it at face value - lamentable really:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Chelsea need to get rid of him, Get away from the stupid 4-5-1 formation thats built around people like him and start again.What club wants or needs a moaner like him?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

good man Drogba keep this stuff comin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fair enough I dont watch much Italian football and can only go by the champions league games I have seen him play but there are better strikers out there in my opinion who are better in the air and on the ground: Torres, Adebayor, Klose, Toni etc.

There are about 3 players in the world with the ball control of Ibra, and none of them is a striker.

Rather then try and blame the the fact that inter from 1 to 11 failed to live up to their potential in the champions league for the last 3 years and try pin it on the star striker would you not think to blame it on the whole setup of the club, the fact that 50% of the team don't talk to eachother, a manager who has no man management skills, the fact that their midfeild goes missing in big games because they try play as 4 individuals rather than a unit?

If anything Ibra has to play even better in these games, he ends up playing so deep to try and kick start attacks and tries to do so much to help the team that he is often the person making the play instead of doing what he is best at and finishing it.

You're typical of an armchair football fan and typical of a lazy Irish armchair football fan who only watches setanta and skysports.

Zlatan has been for about 2 years now the most complete striker in the world, his assist rate is amazing!

His is every bit as good in the air as the strikers you posted and his is far better with the ball at feet than any of them.

And I hate the dirty blueblack bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Seaneh wrote: »
    And I hate the dirty blueblack bastard.
    :confused:

I'm Rossonero.

Seaneh is right. He's fantastic and his assist rate does speak for itself although I would probably agree that Toni is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Seaneh wrote: »
    You're typical of an armchair football fan and typical of a lazy Irish armchair football fan who only watches setanta and skysports.

There is something very funny about that sentence, I can't put my finger on it thou.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    There is something very funny about that sentence, I can't put my finger on it thou.

Probably the fact that's a terrible misuse of the English language?

I rarely proof-read posts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Sure, the man may be a bit of a tit but I think that can be put down to basic stupidity.

33 goals in one season
    0 penalties

For me, that demands respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Completely off topic but Seaneh is 100%. Ibra is a class act and those that say he is over rated, over hyped are just completely lazy i read the sun and listen to everything sky say armchair fans...

iregk wrote: »
    Completely off topic but Seaneh is 100%. Ibra is a class act and those that say he is over rated, over hyped are just completely lazy i read the sun and listen to everything sky say armchair fans...

Never said he was over rated or over hyped, just the games I have seen him play from my armchair he is dirt and maybe it is the team around him that dont supply him enough and they dont talk to each other and all that. 33 goals and 0 penalties is phenomanal in any league and certainly does command respect, but if he is indeed the most complete striker in the world for 2 years now he should be doing it in all competitions.

BTW, I havent picked up a Sun newspaper in years, unless it is to swat a fly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Drogba is good striker with no doubt but his ego is huge,i think its very stupid before end of this season and speacially when you have such a big game as CL final in fron of you to say stupid thing like this.And its not the first time,he is saying he will leave all the season,well go,but if he thinks he will find some happyness in Milan i think he is wrong,i think he will finish there like Schevchenko in Chelsea,some people just going for stupid things and not thinking about they chances and performance,i am United fan so maybe i should be happy coz he will leave probably but i just cant get why some folks always want to go to worse teams then they are in at the moment and than to talk about it all the season,this isnt fair to Chelsea from him and if he isnt so important for the team he would be probably sent to bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I hope Shevvers stays for one more season and see what happens.

Although I really like Drogba as a player, he's 30 now and if we could get back what we paid for him it would be a sound move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I still think he will move in a package with Schevchenko together in Milan,well maybe good move for Andrey but if you ask me for Drogba no way

Advertisement