Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar lights in sleepers

Options
  • 14-05-2008 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I got some solar lights last weekend for my patio. The patio is edged with sleepers.
    I want to cut out 4" circular holes in the sleepers to insert the lights into.

Whats the best plan of attack?

I bought a holesaw and was thinking about using this to get the correct size of the hole, then maybe drill alot of holes inside the circle before using a jigsaw and chisel to cut out the middle of the circle....?

I used the hole saw on the other side of the patio where its edged with decking boards(beside the play area) and it worked a treat.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated

Daz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Stitch drill it in a circle (going through the sleeper) with a large auger bit and lift out the centre. Something like a 20mm auger bit should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Thanks for the reply minder...

Ya see these lights are an after thought... The sleepers were laid 2 years ago so I dont really want to go moving them again.

and the holesaw wouldnt go the hole way through the sleeper , even if i were to go at it from both sides.

Aye the stitch drill will prob be they way to go alright ... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

You could try a router with a straight bit - even if the top of the sleeper is rough, cut a thin template from a piece of plywood, cut a 4" hole in it with the hole saw and use that as a guide for the router. Depends on what depth you need for the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Yeah.. i really only need to go in about 1.5" into the sleeper.

I think if I use the hole saw as a guide for the inital outline of the circle and then do the stitch drilling method it should work out fairly alright.

Advertisement