Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So should I stay away from UPC ?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

From looking at a few threads below I'm thinking I should.

I'm currently on BTs basic package of 1mb broadband, line rental and all national and UK calls anytime included for around €45, not the cheapest out there I know but suits my needs.
    I'm now getting flyers from UPC and tempted by there essential pack, i.e. 6mb, line rental and free local and national calls off peak for the same price. Should I keep my distance or think about moving to Smart who are now also offering a similar package ?
    I need a reliable connection as I work from home a few days a week.
    In D15 btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

With Smart Telecom I would say you should have less problems but their technical support is much better.

They have a support forum at http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/ which is monitored by some of their tech people on a voluntary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Well we used to be with UPC untill quite recently. Attenuation on the line was terrible and we'd constantly loose the connection especially at the weekends. I had three previous NTL connections to this in other locations and they were all spot on, apart from this line.

Bottom line is when it works it's great... when it doesn't don't expect any help or for it ever to be fixed, their customer service is woeful.

Moved to smart recently though and I had to say their technical support is fantastic, called me back on my mobile as they never sent us out a DSL filter so I was calling from the landline... was initial setup and the modem simply refused to initiate a PPPoE session. First girl didn't have a clue what I was on about but was passed to someone else and he spotted the problem on their end straight away... asked me to try reconnect and presto... my full 15Mbs! :D

I'd go with smart tbh, customer service is brilliant and we've had no problems so far and are still pulling down the full 15Mbs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Personally, if you can get Smart go for it,

Cabaal wrote: »
    Personally, if you can get Smart go for it,

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've used NTL/UPC for over 2 years now and never have a problem (aside from area wide issues from time to time). In general, I find the broadband service just great. I get very good speeds, and a reliable connection.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    I've used NTL/UPC for over 2 years now and never have a problem (aside from area wide issues from time to time). In general, I find the broadband service just great. I get very good speeds, and a reliable connection.

As I said previously I had it at other locations and it was grand. All I was saying is *if* you start to run into problems don't expect it to be fixed very quickly... if at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Might depend where in D.15 you are. Some (myself included) have problems with latency in D.15. But its doesn't seem to be everywhere in D.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

My UPC 12 mb connection is due to be installed today in a newly connected area (fingers crossed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Well Smart is out, despite the flyers they're website is telling me it's no available on our exchange. I'll probably end up staying with BT at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My understanding of UPC BB is that any problems are generally isolated to specific locations. I've had it for several years now and I always get maximum speed and it's only been down a couple of times for very short periods. Hence I don't care if their customer care is crap, for me there is no better / cheaper option especially since I got rid of my eircom line rental and have a voip line.

So, for the price and speeds, it's worth trying anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LinoRichie

Jip, not being funny here but when you checked your phone number on the Smart site did you include the 01 at the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

My UPC 12 mb connection is due to be installed today in a newly connected area (fingers crossed).

Installed in about 30 minutes along with digital TV. Speed tests on my PS3 and laptop both say 11mb down and 1mb up. Perfect. Noticing a clear performance improvement on PS3 update download.

So in short my only complaint is that they delayed installation by three days without informing me directly. Otherwise UPC looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

LinoRichie wrote: »
    Jip, not being funny here but when you checked your phone number on the Smart site did you include the 01 at the start?

I did indeed !

Advertisement