Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Troubleshooting electrical/ battery issues

Options
  • 14-05-2008 9:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Ok, I went home last wkend after leaving my second car parked up for over a week and the battery was flat.

When I opened the driver door the buzzer went off like as if I had left my lights on but they were off. :confused:
    All the electrics were off.

I jump started the car (Saturday) and everything was fine but Dad tried to go start it this morning (first time since Saturday) and it's dead again. It looks like a fairly new battery....only bought the car recently in the private market so no warranty. I'm sure it's something simple going on though.

Once the car jump started I did not experience the buzzer going off again with th door open. Funnily enough though the buzzer did not go off everytime I opened the door when the battery was flat.

How can I find out if something is draining it? Would the best way be to test for current in the fusebox or what to try and trace it back?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You will need a multimeter (from Maplins or wherever).
    IIRC when switched off the battery should be giving 12.8 to 13.2 volts (about 14 when on).
    Take out fuse # 1 and see if the voltage drops - if not then replace it and take out #2...
    Once you knwo what fuse covers the item then look up what that fuse is for and track the fault from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

kbannon wrote: »
    You will need a multimeter (from Maplins or wherever).
    IIRC when switched off the battery should be giving 12.8 to 13.2 volts (about 14 when on).
    Take out fuse # 1 and see if the voltage drops - if not then replace it and take out #2...
    Once you knwo what fuse covers the item then look up what that fuse is for and track the fault from there.

Perfect thanks. Now's a good reason to go out and buy that fluke I've been thinking of getting for the last few months.

Advertisement