Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Flies

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi All
    Am heading out to Corrib next weekend and just wondering can anyone reccomend some good fly patterns for the Mayfly. Will have one dap rod but want to fish a team of dries and some wets on the other rod, so any suggestions would be greatly received.
    Cheers
    Bing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hardy Caster

There is loads off good flies Molsey may is good Grey whulff , these are a few that work for me at diffrent times

these all work on Erne .. i will be there a few times this year also down for a full week last week of May.

Boghill Dabbler mark 2 (Stevie Munn)
    HOOK- 8-14 Wet Fly
    Tail – Golden Pheasant Crest
    Rib--- Red Holographic tinsel or Gutterman red yarn
    Body— Black Claret Seals Fur
    Body Hackle--- Black
    Throat Hackle – Orange English Partridge
    Collar Hackle--- Real Bronze Mallard (dressed Cloaked)

This fly is a good all-rounder on Loughs or Stillwaters that has evolved over the last few years. I tye this fly a lot for an English Client who fishes Lough Mask on a regular basis and tells me he has took fish all over the UK and Ireland on this pattern. At first I dressed this fly a lot sparser for fishing on a small dam in the hills of Belfast for wild brown trout. Black and green always worked well for trout there, and on windy days flies that made a wake seemed to have more charm to the fish. I Fish this fly on the top dropper, pulled hard across the waves
    It’s done very well for me on Loughs Melvin and Erne, a fly that works well and worth a place on your cast anytime of year, but especially early and late season.

The McCormack Bumble (Stevie Munn)
    HOOK- - 8-14 Wet Fly
    Tail – Golden Pheasant Crest
    Rib--- Silver Wire
    Body—Insect green or olive Flashabou or Lite Brite Dubbing
    Body Hackle--- Grizzle dyed dark claret
    Hackle--- Badger or pale Greenwell

This is a fly I was asked to dress by an old school pal Brian McCormack, he fishes a lot of Irelands Seatrout loughs and does very well with this pattern, and it has also worked for me on browns when they are taking buzzers or caddis, a very consistent fish taker in the bumble style. Brian still gets me to tye a few dozen of these flies every season, he tells me he uses them to great effect on Lough Currane for Seatrout and also many of the hill loughs in Donegal . The McCormack Bumble works well on the top or middle dropper, were I like to dibble it near the boat , though Brian tells me he often fishes it on the point of a long cast and pulls this fly hard though a ripple .

Wee Ginger (Stevie Munn)
    HOOK- - 8-14 Wet Fly
    Tail – Hot Orange cock with a couple of strands of twinkle
    Rib--- Silver Wire
    Body—Pearly white Flashabou or Lite Brite Dubbing
    Body Hackle--- Fiery Brown or Ginger
    Hackle--- Orange English Partridge Hackle

I use this fly when no fish are rising and nothing else is working on the big loughs, it
    has worked well when the trout or on perch or roach fry, saving the day on many occasions .A good fly for finding fish. One of my boat partners who has fished with me for many years, Mr Jack Child came up with the name of this fly; he is a great believer of any fly with ginger or fiery brown. A very good fly on the point fished on an intermediate line, which has worked on Loughs Erne, Melvin, Mask and Corrib.

Munn’s Emerging May (Stevie Munn)

HOOK- 8-10
    Tail – A few Strands of olive Pheasant Tail,
    Rib--- Fine Silver Wire
    Body— Yellow Flashabou or Lite Brite Dubbing
    Body Hackle--- Light /Med Blue Dun, Cock
    Wing. Chartreuse deer hair
    Collar Hackle‘s --- Orange with a Yellow/olive English Partridge Hackle in Front..

This Fly works great on The Loughs at Mayfly time, has taken many fish, consistently for many anglers over the years, it is another fly that has evolved out of other flies and ideas, many years ago a pal of mine Roy Graham started adding Lite- Brite to his flies, mixing it with his seal fur dubbing, he use to dress a fly similar to this one but much darker and with no wing, the addition of deer hair has helped this gosling style pattern especially in a wave. It works very well on Lough Erne on the top dropper pulled and then dibbled at the boat; also works when fish are feeding on daphnia mostly dew the addition of the orange hackle, which should be dressed long. This fly has been my, and many others number one fly at Mayfly time.

Black Dabbler
    HOOK- 8-14 Wet Fly
    Tail – Back Pheasant tail
    Rib--- Pearly
    Body— Black Seals Fur
    Body Hackle--- Black
    Throat Hackle – Black
    Wing --- Real Bronze Mallard

This fly was first showed to me by the Belfast fly dresser Mr Frankie Haddock; I think he was given it by another great fly tyer Mr Maurice Lemon, while fishing a competition on Lough Fee. Maurice did well with the fly, fishing from Frankie’s boat that day. I have found this fly very useful on the point pulled on a floating line or intermediate, it is a fly I put on when I don’t know what to put on, if you know what I mean. It has worked well for me on loughs Melvin and Erne in early and late season, and also worked well for some of my customers on Loughs Mask and Corrib. I also caught a lot of fish with it, on a hill loch in Scotland after a game fair that I was working at in Moy, but to be honest the trout were suicidal that day and I think they would have taken any dark pulling fly. The Black Dabbler is a fly I would always have in my box.

Pearly Lansdale
    HOOK- 8-12
    Tail – A few Strands Pheasant Tail,
    Rib--- Fine Silver Wire
    Body— Pearly
    Body Hackle---Claret Cock
    Collar Hackle‘s --- Claret with a natural French partridge wound in front.

This is a fly that was given to me by a few on my pals that did very well on Lough Corrib. It looks like a variant of The Lansdale Partridge a fly that is a particular favorite of anglers that fish Loughs Melvin, Erne, Arrow, Furnace and Feeagh. Fished on the point it has done very well especially in the last few seasons. This fly can be fished almost any time of year but I have done partially well with it at may fly time. It also works for Salmon on loughs and has taken a few fish on Lough Melvin.

Stevie
    www.anglingclassics.co.uk

Advertisement