Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB Problem

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hello, i am just posting here to see if anyone has had a similar problem with Eircom broadband.

It seems that from about 6pm onwards my connection can just cut out randomly at any time. A red light comes on in the Internet section of the router and until it goes green, I can't visit any sites etc.

It's very annoying, particularly when playing online games to be suddenly disconnected.

I have changed all the cables and set it up at different phone points in the house but the proble still arises.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? Any ideas how to fix it? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sounds like the line attenuation is quite high... people are coming home from work using their internet connection and the DSL signal on your line is getting weaker and weaker.

You'll have to call Eircom technical support (i know i know) so that they can log a fault on the line...

Tbh if attenuation on the line is too high at peak times they're not providing you with the service described in their terms and conditions so you'd be within your rights to cancel. No point in switching provider as alot of companies are just reselling eircom's bitstream in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Achilles wrote: »
    Sounds like the line attenuation is quite high... people are coming home from work using their internet connection and the DSL signal on your line is getting weaker and weaker.

You'll have to call Eircom technical support (i know i know) so that they can log a fault on the line...

Tbh if attenuation on the line is too high at peak times they're not providing you with the service described in their terms and conditions so you'd be within your rights to cancel. No point in switching provider as alot of companies are just reselling eircom's bitstream in the first place.

Thanks very much. I'll get onto them asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

Hi.

I have the same problem and have complained dozens of times.
    During the day (and before the street lights come on...), it's great
    but at night I get constant LCP disconnects.

My attenuation is high (and I'm on 3Meg).

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 44.0 db 26.0 db
    Noise Margin 10.5 db 15.0 db

Fortunately, there is a hack for my router (Netgear) which allows me to set a target noise margin (in db) with seamless rate adaption on.

The only other solution which works (I know, I tried it for 2 months) is to drop your speed to a slower package.

eircom checked my master socket which was okay.

Don't call or email tech support as IMO it is a waste of time as email support will blame adware/spyware/phonewatch and phone support will make (ask) you to disconnect ALL points with just your ADSL connection plugged into the master socket only to blame "contention" when nothing works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hi.
    Don't call or email tech support as IMO it is a waste of time as email support will blame adware/spyware/phonewatch and phone support will make (ask) you to disconnect ALL points with just your ADSL connection plugged into the master socket only to blame "contention" when nothing works.

That's bull****, loss of signal on a line due to high attenuation is *not* the same as contention. If you connection was slowing down fair enough but contention will never cause you to loose the connection completely in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ChessHacker

Achilles wrote: »
    That's bull****, loss of signal on a line due to high attenuation is *not* the same as contention. If you connection was slowing down fair enough but contention will never cause you to loose the connection completely in the first place.

Just quoting what an eircom Indian tech support guy insisted was the problem.

The attenuation (which doesn't change) doesn't cause LCP disconnects during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 [DVDF]Merlin

I have been having the same problem since last July:mad: (07)several disconnects during the day:eek:.Support is a joke, been up and down the email road and support line road.Have had Two engineers to my home and both have told me that the problem lies with the exchange and not at my end.When i check the logs there are several references to "Reason: Remote refused our authentication attempt" and "pp down no sync" etc.Have been an eircom customer for years and never encountered an problem before last July.But as with all company's of this nature there are fine until you encounter an problem.And to add injury to insult After the first Engineer called to my home and informed me that the problem was with the exchange.What did Eircom support do,yep you've guessed right downgraded my 2mb to 1mb and this is after i expressly told them not too.It took a few weeks for them to put it back to 2mb:eek:.

And of course there is absolutely no point in me going with another provider as they will still have to go through the same exchange (only in Ireland:eek:).Have asked Eircom billing on numerous occasions to have my bill adjusted to reflect the level of service im receiving, all to no avail.

All things considered i prefer to be kissed first before im f***ed:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 costly

Has anyone managed to find a resolution with eircom to the problem of the broadband connection continuously, but inconsitently, dropping (red light on Internet connection).
    I have had the problem for about 14 months now, had dozens of calls with the support teams, had several call outs, been on 1MB, 2MB and 3MB, all with similar poor results (it can be fine for hours but then drop 15 times in the next hour, sometimes for several minutes but usually for circa 20-30 seconds at a time).
    Eircom have finally given up and told me it is contention which I find hard to beleive - surely it should simply slow down and not drop altogether for contention ?
    I'm at a loss as there are not a lot of other options in the area (can't get wireless) and switching to another competitor will only see me using the crappy eircom service under the hoods anyway.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or know what I need to do to get eircom to actually resolve this ongoing, and obvioulsy widespread, issue ?

Advertisement