Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone racing tonight?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Down on the track?

I've decided to go down, and see how bad I am (was out late last night for a skinfull after finishing exams, which won't help). Anyone else heading that way?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I was planning on going, but I'll have to put it off until next week as there's no way I'll be out of work on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Yes but in a Club League, every Wed night.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

How did it go? I was passing by in the area and caught two races, it looked fairly relaxed from where I was standing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

ullu wrote: »
    How did it go? I was passing by in the area and caught two races, it looked fairly relaxed from where I was standing?

It was nice and chilled, and not huge amounts of pressure -good fun all round really. I didn't come last in any of my races, but was definitely at the back of the grid -think tactics need to be looked at more, and it would help if my saddle wasn't dropping lower and lower each lap!

Definitely worth doing though, and I'll maybe become a regular down there

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

it would help if my saddle wasn't dropping lower and lower each lap

That was happening to me on Saturday. Very frustrating.

I'm raging I missed it. Work is really putting a dent in my training and racing plans at the moment. Hopefully I'll be togging out next week. Good to hear that noobs like us aren't being totally destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

how far do you race? how could I start (once my knees clear up of course)? how much does it cost? It sounds like a good laugh....

kenmc wrote: »
    how far do you race? how could I start (once my knees clear up of course)? how much does it cost? It sounds like a good laugh....

Last night we did 4 races in total. First was 8 laps, 4 of controlled cycling, changing lead every half lap to get us used to the pace etc, followed by 4 of racing. Second race was an unknown length, between 3 and 10 laps, with a shout going out at the last lap. Third was sprints, with a warm up lap, then a sprint lap with the leader being first, another slower lap, then a second sprint for second place, another slower lap and a last sprint for third place.

Finally was everyone there (about 4 of us) doing an Italian persuit -two teams start at opposite sides of the track, and you do half a lap sprint, then pull off -great if you're at the front, but can be 8 or 9 laps if you're at the rear.

It's 5 euro for a one day licence if you're not in a club, and you can rent the bikes for another fiver (I thought it was 10, but they charged five yesterday).

You need to be accredited to race, so you may have to mail Hugh Byrne to get a suitable day for that, but it's literally just a few laps to get you used to a track bike and a banked track.

I had a blast, and it wasn't really competitive with the lads I was riding with (at least I didn't feel it!). We were all split into 3 groups, with the elite riders together, so you didn't get dropped all that badly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

savage. so once the jerseys come through then we can have a team for the team persuit :)
    so was that a training race or a real race? how many were there total?
    sounds like there was none of that elitist nonsense you often hear about

kenmc wrote: »
    savage. so once the jerseys come through then we can have a team for the team persuit :)
    so was that a training race or a real race? how many were there total?
    sounds like there was none of that elitist nonsense you often hear about

Absolutely -go team boards!

As fair as I know it was a real race, with league points at stake, but I'm not sure. There didn't seem to be any of the elitist stuff going on at all, was well chilled out

Advertisement