Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Collecting BMW from factory in Munich

Options
  • 14-05-2008 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Just wondering if anyone has done this, how difficult/easy it is and if you still need to go through a dealer?
    Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

No idea, but I don't know why everyone doesn't do this, what a trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I don't think BMW Ireland offers you the option of picking up your new car in Munich(though I agree that it would be class if you could).

I know it's possible for BMW customers in the US to take the "European Delivery" option, and indeed I wish they would allow us to do so too,it could be class if you could and highly appropriate since Munich is their headquarters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

That would be so cool, nothing better than picking up the new motor in Munich :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

You could pick it up in Munich and then take it to the Nurburgring to run it in.... just a little:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's a pretty common thing for people who live in Germany to do. Not just for BMW either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

You could pick it up in Munich and then take it to the Nurburgring to run it in.... just a little:p

I dont think you could really do much with it in the nurburgring as you have to take it easy, keep it at low revs, etc. for the first few hundred miles.

what car are you getting mcwager?

You don't have to treat a new car gently. They're already run in before you get them these days, and anyway it's not good for an engine to be too gentle with it, they need a bit of stick from time to time to keep them on their toes:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Going to collect one of the last 316's McWager?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Ah thats just mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I collected a new 318 from Munich back in 2002. It was a simple operation. Arrived on first Aer Lingus flight, taxi to factory and about a 2 hour wait while they get your car ready. I bought the car directly from the then distrubtors Frank Keane on the Naas Road. TBH you don't see an awful lot in the factory but you do get a free sandwich and drink! I remember there were a few Americans collecting their cars. I presume they were US Military stationed in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

tdc wrote: »
    I dont think you could really do much with it in the nurburgring as you have to take it easy, keep it at low revs, etc. for the first few hundred miles.

When I was on the factory tour we followed the build of the car - it started with the initial steel pressing and ended with the car being run up to maximum speed on a rolling road so BMW don't seem to see the need to run it in engine-wise. Modern engines are built to very fine tolerances but having said that, I still take it easy on a new car for the first 1000 km or so. Brake pads etc still need to bed in.

A significant proportion of people on the tour were picking up their new BMWs - not all Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Spit62500 wrote: »
    When I was on the factory tour we followed the build of the car - it started with the initial steel pressing and ended with the car being run up to maximum speed on a rolling road so BMW don't seem to see the need to run it in engine-wise. Modern engines are built to very fine tolerances but having said that, I still take it easy on a new car for the first 1000 km or so. Brake pads etc still need to bed in.

A significant proportion of people on the tour were picking up their new BMWs - not all Americans.

Maybe this is a stupid question (probably) but why would you want to do this? does it save much money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

tw0nk wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question (probably) but why would you want to do this? does it save much money?

Just some people want to make their first drive in their new car a memorable one I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

+1

I think it would make a brilliant way to collect your new "baby". I think if you love cars then the theatre of travelling to collect your car, getting the factory tour, getting a proper hand-over to factory standards and then getting to drive your new toy across the continent on some of the best roads you can drive on.

I'd love to do it some day!

Do Audi offer you the option of picking up your new car in Ingolstadt?

In the UK I know Merc do(except they're in Stuttgart of course:D!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Audi are also being built in Hungary too somewhere are they not? (And VW are moving to Ukraine and Russia, if they haven't already).

I don't know why someone would want to pick up a car from the factory. 90% of the work on an assembly line is fairly unskilled repetitive donkey work, suitable for a particular type of person. Imho a visit to the engine foundry to see the engine being made would be interesting.

EDIT: Audi engine factory is in Györ, Hungary. TTs are also assembled there.
    http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/about_audi_ag/production_locations/hungary.html

E92 wrote: »
    Do Audi offer you the option of picking up your new car in Ingolstadt?

In the UK I know Merc do(except they're in Stuttgart of course:D!)

I believe so, a couple of customers have asked but noone has ever gone far enough with the query that we actually contacted the factory to get the actual requirements to set up the arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

What happens regarding car registration in such circumstances -i.e. does the car have to be reg'ed in Germany followed by a normal import /VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

AudiChris wrote: »
    I believe so, a couple of customers have asked but noone has ever gone far enough with the query that we actually contacted the factory to get the actual requirements to set up the arrangement.

Looks like they do alright.

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/about_audi_ag/audi_forums/ingolstadt/customer_center.html

What happens regarding car registration in such circumstances -i.e. does the car have to be reg'ed in Germany followed by a normal import /VRT?

I guess it's the same as exporting from here, you'd go over and collect it on the equivalent of ZZ plates and then VRT it when it comes into the country. Does anyone else know for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If you made the journey back last 6000km & 6 months would you be able to dodge VAT? :D

Back to reality (i.e. not the 6 month plan), I think it would be a nice holiday to plan, it would be a novelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 McWager

tw0nk wrote: »

Thanks for the responses

Collecting a 320i convertible, decided to buy through a dealer and he is looking in to the option of collecting it from the factory, which would save the €850 delivery fee. Dealer said that it was pretty rare, but that someone had done it a few years ago

After you factor in flights hotel etc you dont really save much, but I was thinking of it more as a cool way to get to know my new baby, rather than a money saver. Sorting VRT, insurance etc may be a bit of a headache though (delivery date is 1st July)

Will post how I get on anyway
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Please do McWager and best of luck with it! To be honest, the way Ive seen some of those car transporter truck drivers drive, your probably best off bringing it from factory home with TLC ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

AudiChris wrote: »
    I guess it's the same as exporting from here, you'd go over and collect it on the equivalent of ZZ plates and then VRT it when it comes into the country. Does anyone else know for sure?

Excuse my ignorance, but what are ZZ plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ZZ plates are temporary silver-on-black plates used when importing/exporting a car, usually with ZZ followed by 5 numbers on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

McWager wrote: »
    Sorting VRT, insurance etc may be a bit of a headache though (delivery date is 1st July)

Will post how I get on anyway
    Cheers

Could you......

Reserve a registration number - 08D45566 seems to be the next in line according to cartell. Give this to your insurance to start on the 1st July.

I presume you are paying the dealer the normal amount (including VRT), so on the 1st July as long as they have the chassis details and possibly birth cert, they can reg the car for you.

Drive it back on export plates, call in to the dealer the day you get back for him to deface your car with stickers and plate surrounds and give you the RF100 for taxing.

Advertisement