Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with having no company office/address?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

Im running a business at the moment but wehave no actual physical office. Its a virtual existence. Is this illegal to be running a business without a business premises? I know I cant use my home address as its a rental contract.Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

curadh wrote: »
    Im running a business at the moment but wehave no actual physical office. Its a virtual existence. Is this illegal to be running a business without a business premises? I know I cant use my home address as its a rental contract.Any ideas?

Some company formation companies provide a service whereas you can use their address as your registered address and they forward stuff to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's not illegal and there's no reason why you can't use your home address, aside from a few points:

1) You should probably have permission from your landlord.
    2) It might not look very professional to your clients.
    3) You might get hit with rates.
    4) Insurance might be a problem if you have clients on the premises.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Thankss, yeah I'm just looking up the virtual office thing now, interesting!
    Seems you can just get a secretary and an address which would be good, or rent an office which would be handier as Ive a van on the road aswell as my car and could use the parking there at night, which would work out cheaper for me than renting a space in my apartment block!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

thanks for the info guys, looking into a few secretarial services with fixed lines/addresses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I know a person that give there address as

Unit 10 instead of No. 10

Blackthorn Estate instead of just Blackthorn

So there address looks like

Unit 10
    Blackthorn Estate
    Kilkenny
    Ireland

instead of
    No. 10 Blackthorn
    Kilkenny
    Ireland

No personal callers so people just think its an Industrial estate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

http://www.terenure-enterprise.ie/

for €60 a month they accept your post and redirect it to you, excellent value imho

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I use my own address in my estate. My house number is registered with the CRO but for general postage from customers i exclude the house number. The postman knows whats for me. He gets a xmas present each year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

kikel wrote: »
    I use my own address in my estate. My house number is registered with the CRO but for general postage from customers i exclude the house number. The postman knows whats for me. He gets a xmas present each year. :D

Personally I'd steer well clear of associating my business with my private residence.

You could find yourself liable for large taxes if you ever sell your house and your neighbours could object as it's a "change of use" and you may require planning permission. You may also have the council on your back RE: rates. Plus, it's not professional IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can also run into zoning issues if you're not careful :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Does any know if using a PO Box is illegal? There was a thread on the business forum a while back and the chap was using (effectivly) a PO Box number in Mail Boxes Etc, Rathmines. Mail Boxes Etc call them Suites not PO Box numbers. All it is is a mailbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

So many nearly illegal things are done setting up and running businesses, especially companies, just concern yrself with appearances and get on with it I say. If it’s genuinely bad to do something someone will stop you.

Using a P.O. Box doesn't inspire as much confidence as a street address and a landline. Using a company formation office's address and asking eircom for a virtual landline would do nicely.

IMHO what really matters is that the company – not you - should seek loans and sign leases, secondly you identify PDQ who are the 20% of yr customers who will give you 80% of yr turnover. The rest becomes unimportant (presuming you pay yr staff, they don’t cheat you and your accountant gives good advice about registering for V.A.T., filing CRO documents blah blah).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

There is an office in Limerick National technology park they charge €10 per week for business address. or €35 for a virtual office telephone answering etc
    PM if you want the details

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Accountant

2 services to check out

Kendelbell
    AllnOne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mb0999

Kendlebell are very good

Advertisement