Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opta Stats Maddess!

• 14-05-2008 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Loads of stats to get out teeth into

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/14/premierleague2

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/14/premierleague1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/14/premierleague3
    Aston Villa scored the most headed goals (16).

Spurs conceded the most headed goals (15).

Arsenal scored 27 goals in the final 15 minutes of matches – more than any other side.

Chelsea and Man Utd kept 21 clean sheets each – a joint-league high.

Liverpool allowed their opponents just 90 shots on target against them – a league low.

Middlesbrough scored 53% of their goals in the first half – the highest percentage of any team.

Reading netted 76% of their goals in the second half – the highest proportion in the top flight.

Everton conceded 70% of their goals in the second half – the worst proportion.

West Ham shipped 5*% of all goals conceded in the opening 45 minutes of matches – the worst percentage in the Premier League.

12 different nationalities scored for Arsenal –the most in the league.

41 of Villa's goals were netted by Englishmen – the most in the division.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Liverpool allowed their opponents just 90 shots on target against them – a league low.

Therefore Reina isnt as good as Liverpool fans seem to think he is, its the defence in front of him that is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Killme00 wrote: »

Therefore Reina isnt as good as Liverpool fans seem to think he is, its the defence in front of him that is excellent.

Considering we have been playing with Sami Hyypia for most of the season im not sure if you can say that with a straight face. (Hyypia is a liverpool legend, and he has never let us down, im not having a go at him!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I knew this would come up quickly! Quick tell Carra/Hyypia and Masch to take the day off to really test Reina! :rolleyes:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

So every 1 in 3 shots goes past reina, bit more than 1 in 6 past VDS.

Where them pool fans who say reina is better :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like Utd need to sort thier defence out to me ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

Wenger once said the difference between a good keeper and a world class
    keeper is often not their shot stopping ability, its the ability to do nothing for
    89 minutes in a game but to have the mental sharpness to be able to perform
    for the vital minute when it is most required.
    Thats why he rated Seamen so highly, the defence in front of him was
    awesome but even so he was a brilliant keeper.
    Same has to be true of any keeper behind a good back 4.
    Casillas for Real is amazing but for a completely different set of reasons.
    1v1 he is by far the best goalie in the world, the reason being he gets so
    much practice to perfect it.

Your point about Reina is baseless and pretty ill informed to be honest.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Wenger once said the difference between a good keeper and a world class
    keeper is often not their shot stopping ability, its the ability to do nothing for
    89 minutes in a game but to have the mental sharpness to be able to perform
    for the vital minute when it is most required.
    Thats why he rated Seamen so highly, the defence in front of him was
    awesome but even so he was a brilliant keeper.
    Same has to be true of any keeper behind a good back 4.
    Casillas for Real is amazing but for a completely different set of reasons.
    1v1 he is by far the best goalie in the world, the reason being he gets so
    much practice to perfect it.

Your point about Reina is baseless and pretty ill informed to be honest.

You are contradicting yourself and your post makes no sense. According to the stats above there are less shots on Reinas goal than any other team in the premiership but when there is a shot he fails to save about a third of them.

He won the golden golves, didnt he..how if Man Utd and Chelsea kept the most clean sheets.

Also, i think he is a very good goal keeper but not nearly as good as Liverpool fans make out. You talk like he is Buffon ffs. He is better than VDS though, i will admit that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

You are contradicting yourself and your post makes no sense. According to the stats above there are less shots on Reinas goal than any other team in the premiership but when there is a shot he fails to save about a third of them.

He won the golden golves, didnt he..how if Man Utd and Chelsea kept the most clean sheets.

Also, i think he is a very good goal keeper but not nearly as good as Liverpool fans make out. You talk like he is Buffon ffs. He is better than VDS though, i will admit that.

Im not saying he is the best keeper on earth or anything like that.
    Im just saying number of shots saved is a very misleading measure of a goalie.
    He is not Buffon but then again i dont rate Buffon as #1, Casillas is ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

I think why Reina got the Golden Gloves cause he played in all the league games i think for Liverpool this season kept 19 Clean Sheets in the process where with Chelsea and Utd, Kuz,VDS and Foster were in goal and with Chelsea Cech, Hilario and Cudicini were in goal. Give credit where credit is due he has now won it 3 times in a row(I stand corrected) with a defence that has been constantly changing season after season in terms of personnel shows how he is crucial to the Liverpool cause.

Therefore he conceded goals once in every 2 games for this season just gone if he played every game which is good record on his part.

IrishMike wrote: »
    Im not saying he is the best keeper on earth or anything like that.
    Im just saying number of shots saved is a very misleading measure of a goalie.
    He is not Buffon but then again i dont rate Buffon as #1, Casillas is ;);)

Im not a fan of Casillas, Xubi was better :pac:

We'll see at the Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Therefore he conceded goals once in every 2 games for this season just gone if he played every game which is good record on his part.

he did play every game...

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Call_me_al wrote: »
    he did play every game...

I wasn't 100% sure...thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I'm surprised at the players used thing. Utd only used 25 players, the fourth lowest in the league yet everyone goes on about squad size. Although its more about squad strength then size and also the fact we bought no one in Feb.

So I have just contradicted myself without making any valid point, sounds about normal for me.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thanks for the links Mike, bookmarked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Only took the first reply for this to turn into a Liverpool v Manu knobfest, thats possibly a new record?, no, for sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Tottenham dropped 33 points from winning positions his season, equalling a Premier League record held by Chelsea 1995-96 and Wimbledon 1999-2000
    Wow. Even without the taking points off the other teams, that would have put spurs in the top 4. All hypothetical of course but if they learn to defend a lead maybe they could push for top 4.

Edit:
    Man City won more points against the "big four" teams than anyone else outside the elite four - 7.

6 of them against united. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Mad_Max wrote: »

6 of them against united. :(

Just shows the gap in quality when the best a team could do was 7 points out of a possible 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

zAbbo wrote: »
    Only took the first reply for this to turn into a Liverpool v Manu knobfest, thats possibly a new record?, no, for sure?
    Was thinking the exact same thing. made me laugh though so it cant be all that bad :)

Unearthly wrote:
    Just shows the gap in quality when the best a team could do was 7 points out of a possible 24

yeah, thats madness alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

patmac wrote: »

didnt take long, is this gonna be a common occurance over the summer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement