Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else got a case of GAS??

Options
  • 14-05-2008 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Robbing a term from the musical instrument forum for a minute.

I love shooting, I enjoy being out in the countryside working my dogs, I get a buzz from a good shot but I also adore buying new equipment and learning about it.

Currently I have a serious case of GAS, Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

I am dying to guy a larger caliber centerfire for longer range target shooting. Specifically a 6.5x55 Unique Alpine TPG-1.

I would also love a lecia range finder, the monocular one because for some reason I cant use binoculars :confused:

So what piece of equipment is giving you GAS?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Frequenting the musical instruments forum as well, I'm quite familiar with this awful, awful syndrome. So, without further ado...

*deep breath*

-The non-existent Sako 85 Bavarian left-handed in .25-06 or something like that
    -Failing that, possibly a Mauser M03 Alpine if there's a lefty model.
    -Beretta 471 EL, for game
    -Beretta 682 sporter, for clays
    -Ruger no.1 in .204 Ruger for general critter whacking
    -Feinwerkbau AW93 if I ever get into pistol properly
    -Fullbore target setup in .300 win mag.

Ah well, a broke student can dream... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Oh Dear.................

A Ruger Mk3 Hunter .22 Pistol

And if i let my mind loose i would like M1903 Springfield 30-06:)

Hezz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I want to buy something within the next 2-3 years that will let me fire F-Class.
    At the moment I cant afford to buy one and I would also like more experience
    firing rimfire before moving onto the expensive stuff. When I buy I want to make
    sure I buy right and not on a whim!

Ideally I would love something that could reach out and touch the 1000m if
    Midlands builds the range in the future :D

But I am clueless as to what to buy.
    Duffy's has a Lovely Sako TRG in Green which I would Love but for the Price
    I have a feeling that people will tell me that I could get a custom made rifle made
    that would be better for F-Class rather than buying a stock general purpose gun.

Anyone got recomendations, Links to Drool and oogle over .
    Rough entry level Prices. (How long is a piece of string I suppose)

Anyone want to hypothetically build me an entry level gun that would be suitable
    and list out the Min costs involved.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Krieghoff K-80 trap special, a Promatic trap http://www.promatic.co.uk/product.aspx?ProductID=42 and enough land to set up my own shooting grounds:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

If the money fairy leaves 2 grand under the pillow, then I'll be ordering a Walther SSP, Rathdrum membership and heaps of ammo. It's an amazing piece of engineering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Bullets last year a mate and myself talked about long range shooting,
    and we decided to try to set up a rifle for 1000 yard clay pigeons, a sako 75 heavy barrel in 308 was bought alongside a schmidt and bender pm2 scope...we lapped and shimmed the mounts in order to give us enough elevation to shoot to 1000 yards-numerous loads were tried and chrongraphed and we settled on a 168 grain a max bullet which would be supersonic at 1000 yards-practise at 600, 800 and 1000 eventually had us break 3 clays out 4 at 1000 yards last saturday-this was sub half inch moa at 1000 yards from a factory rifle .we are planning to shoot for group size this wekend weather permitting, but I would be confident of this rifle/loads abilities at 1000 yards. [ this shooting was witnessed by the way ]:D

rifle cost 1500, scope second hand at 1000, mounts 180

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Thats pretty poo hot shooting FS243...maybe someday il get there,hahahaha...as for the GAS, thinking of going to the States (on holiday) to satisfy the greed,oops need for gear...:D
    Girlfriends aunt should be handy for the old free accomodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

and we decided to try to set up a rifle for 1000 yard clay pigeons, a sako 75 heavy barrel in 308 was bought alongside a schmidt and bender pm2 scope...we lapped and shimmed the mounts in order to give us enough elevation to shoot to 1000 yards-numerous loads were tried and chrongraphed and we settled on a 168 grain a max bullet which would be supersonic at 1000 yards-practise at 600, 800 and 1000 eventually had us break 3 clays out 4 at 1000 yards last saturday-this was sub half inch moa at 1000 yards from a factory rifle .we are planning to shoot for group size this wekend weather permitting, but I would be confident of this rifle/loads abilities at 1000 yards. [ this shooting was witnessed by the way ]:D

There isn't a jealous smilie but if there was I would be using it. breaking clays at 1000 yards, you sir are clearly a very talented man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

german hyme in 223 centrefire and s+b tack scopes

o that right i have less than no money i have f- all money o lotto money
    were are you.steve:D 4.500euro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

You have me drooling Sir! would love to do or be able to do that.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I must declare my jealousy:o I tend to lose it completely somewhere after the 600 mark

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I must declare my jealousy:o I tend to lose it completely somewhere after the 600 mark

this took a lot of practise and the 2 most critical factors are no 1 ;wind,
    and secondly the quality of your ammo, as a side note mill surp ammo couldnt break a clay at 600 yards..never mind 1000..you need the proper ammo.

and a copy of "precision shooting at 1000 yards" from cabelas cami in handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

This thread may have legs :D

Okay, here goes, in no particular order:
    • Pelican case 1700/1720. 2 off. One to put all my smallbore stuff into, one for all my air rifle stuff. Not sure if it should be the 1700 or the 1720 - the 1720+rifle alone breaks the airline's baggage limit for sports kit. The 1700 doesn't but you have to dismantle the rifle to fit it in. But then, you have to dismantle the rifle for airline travel anyway. Maybe two 1720s for domestic matches and one 1700 for international with two sets of foam for smallbore and air. Why not, it's only money! :D
    • Pelican 1550 or Storm 2500 or 2370 case for all my air pistol stuff.
    • Cheap pair of varga glasses for air pistol shooting (the champions are great for both rifle and pistol, but adjusting them to go from one to the other is a major adjustment because I'm facing to the right for air rifle and to the left for air pistol.
    • Balance bags from Physio Supplies in Irishtown
    • New shooting jacket, trousers, but those wait because I'm 40lb overweight right now (you try months of working all hours with no gym time and too much good food) so there's no point in buying them.
    • New kitbag (old one's falling apart)
    • Training camp in Kuortane in November (€2k right there)
    • Possibly going to Intershoot/European 10m Championships/ISSF WC Munich next year (if I make the cut, that's maybe €1k each by the time you're done)
    • Three Fujitsu LT C-500s for the rifle club managment system I'm playing with for DURC (still in early development after 8 years :D )
    • A Noptel. Or a Rika. Or a Scatt. In that order of preference.
    • A variable foresight iris.
    • Those custom moulded earplugs (I have wierdly shaped ear canals)
    • Better boot trees, specifically the ones where they just snap onto the shoe, because the cheap slidey ones I have are a pain on the fingers to do up all the time.
    • My own shooting mat for smallbore
    • The new MEC book on air rifle shooting
    There's probably a ton of other cool stuff as well, but that's my immediate list ;)
    I'm skipping smallbore pistol completely, 'cos that's a whole other list :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

In order:
    • A comfortable hand-stop
    • Comfortable ear-plugs
    • A good quality sling
    • A shooting jacket
    • A proper shooting glove
    • Good shooting underwear
    • A kitbag that fits all of my kit without destroying it.
    • A good strong wall to bolt a safe to (and if it's rented, permission from the landlord to do so).
    • A safe.
    • A rifle to go in the safe. Money no object, this would be a Bleiker or selected Anschütz barrel & action in a nice stock (not sure what this would be, although I like the look of the Anschütz alu, G+E and System Gemini stocks).
    • A Peli/Storm case for the rifle.
    • A good spotting scope.

As you can see, I'm coming up to a bit of a sticking point. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

A few of these would be nice!

http://www.hollandandholland.com/gunrooms/london/new_stock_weapons/

ps. note the popularity of 20b shotguns.

IRLConor wrote: »
    In order:
    • A comfortable hand-stop
    • Comfortable ear-plugs
    • A good quality sling
    • A shooting jacket
    • A proper shooting glove
    • Good shooting underwear
    • A kitbag that fits all of my kit without destroying it.
    • A good strong wall to bolt a safe to (and if it's rented, permission from the landlord to do so).
    • A safe.
    • A rifle to go in the safe. Money no object, this would be a Bleiker or selected Anschütz barrel & action in a nice stock (not sure what this would be, although I like the look of the Anschütz alu, G+E and System Gemini stocks).
    • A Peli/Storm case for the rifle.
    • A good spotting scope.
    As you can see, I'm coming up to a bit of a sticking point. :(

well at least you left the bad stuff out:D you have to draw a line through it as you have done:D:DLOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

• 9mm Glock 34 - have one but another in case it fails in competition.
    • .38 Revolver - 6" Barrel
    • .40 CZ Tactical Sport
    • .40 CZ Champion - Fully tricked out for Open Class practical (I have no intention of shooting Open but as Sparks said it's only Money")
    • Something nice in .22 - haven't really given it much thought

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

thehair wrote: »
    well at least you left the bad stuff out:D you have to draw a line through it as you have done:D:DLOL
    I thought he was drawing a line through the stuff he's already gotten :D

only i could f it up steve:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Oh, and possibly a nice alu stock, but I've already put that down as something to consider treating myself to when my average breaks 95 or 96. :p A training incentive if ever I had one.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Krieghoff K-80 trap special, a Promatic trap http://www.promatic.co.uk/product.aspx?ProductID=42 and enough land to set up my own shooting grounds:cool:

Aaah yes............the K80......:)

My three shooting partners all have K80's which makes me jealous....:mad:

Mind you, when it comes to scores my Beretta 682E Gold with the high rib (costing one third the price) is just as good, if not better:D

Still, if I had a spare 10k I'd buy the K80 and I'd fit a precision stock for andther €1500 just to finsh it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I suppose I'd love a pair of leica rangefinding binos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I shoot - Shotgun, rifle and pistol.
    Fish - Trout and Salmon
    Motorcycle - big BMW
    I'm also thinking about getting back on horseback and have an addiction to buying things here http://www.heinnie.com/ and when i cleaned out the shed I found I had pretty much two of everything from Aldi and Lidl:eek:

The only thing that saves me is lack of space:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No paticular order
    Sig 550/551 5.56 semi auto rifle or CAR style AR15 rifle,HK 91 or Para FAL 308 Semi.
    Molot veper 12 shotgun.
    Ruger Red Label O/U 12 GA
    CZ 75[ Frankonia custom] Shadow Mamba 9mm
    Para Ordance P14 45 ACP, or Bul Transmark M5 45 ACP,or LAR Grizzly 45 Win mag,or HK tactical 45 ACP[tried two sofar,need to try another two before I decide.;)]

The ability to use,keep and shoot these in Ireland without much hassle , in the future while not a GAS is on one of my top wishes

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

fs243,how did you shim sak 75 mounts???/??(very hard to do with burn blisters);)..cool shooting,wish i was able....!ps carefull wit that mil spec ammo.

kakashka wrote: »
    fs243,how did you shim sak 75 mounts???/??(very hard to do with burn blisters);)..cool shooting,wish i was able....!ps carefull wit that mil spec ammo.

The way we shimmed the mounts was thus ... we used a small piece of flattened lead under the back mount..after trial and error we settled on a piece that we flattenend to 1.1 mm, when i say trial and error you must remember that we knew exactly by how much short we were in elevation
    , so to obtain the extra we required we knew we had to add 14 moa to what already existed... so after 3 evenings of fitting the back shim and lapping the 34mm rings with a lapping bar made by a local gunsmith, we eventually had the scope tipped downwards enough to gain the extra elevation. this was precisley measured by first of all taking a reading with a collimator in the barrel and then tracking the gain we made on the grid,
    within the collimator. this grid has a moa value so its quite easy to follow.
    anyway when we were satisfied we had the elevation correct and the windage optically centered we were good to go.. next step was to work up a load which was both accurate and supersonic to 1000 yards..this accurate load had to then be run through a cronograph to find the muzzle velocity and then entered into a ballistics calculator to develop a drop chart which then could be refined by checking in the field on targets.
    after all that we then used anemometers to measure wind and using wind charts alongside drop charts we began to get the feel for 1000 yd shooting...great feeling to whack a clay at 1000 yards:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

...great feeling to whack a clay at 1000 yards:D

How could you even see them through the scope, the cross hair must have been blocking them out at that distance.

Was it a sako 75 varmint you were shooting with. Any trigger mods? What kind of base were you shooting from, front rest fclass style, rear sand bag, on a table or prone? So many questions.

Honestly that is some shooting. I was out with the .223 last night and the scope I have has 42 times mag. I was shooting 317 yards at clays n sh1te like that, to think people are doing this (3 out of 4 clays) to 1000 yards is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

On my wish list right now..

* Classic, blued S&W N-frame revolver in .357 or .44
    * Benelli 12 gauge semi
    * Classic rifle of some kind - Lee Enfield/Garand/K98/Mosin etc.. iron sights ftw :)
    * Prescription safety glasses that don't make me look like Joe 90!

Vegeta wrote: »
    How could you even see them through the scope, the cross hair must have been blocking them out at that distance.

Was it a sako 75 varmint you were shooting with. Any trigger mods? What kind of base were you shooting from, front rest fclass style, rear sand bag, on a table or prone? So many questions.

Honestly that is some shooting. I was out with the .223 last night and the scope I have has 42 times mag. I was shooting 317 yards at clays n sh1te like that, to think people are doing this (3 out of 4 clays) to 1000 yards is amazing.

Vegeta, The rifle was a sako 75 heavy barrel in 308 winchester, the trigger was lightened to 2 lbs it was fitted with a schmidt and bender pm 2 scope with a bryant reticle..the bullet was a 168 grain a max hornady bullet over 44.5 grains of varget powder seated to factory depth using a
    CCI large rifle primer-the cases were lapua.
    The load was tested for accuracy and chronographed to find out the extreme spread as this is critical in long range shooting and the muzzle velocity had to be high enough to keep the bullet supersonic all the way to the target-this particular load should be good to 1150 yds if our calculations are correct. you must remember that this was the best of several we had tried..cos this was a year long project.
    Now the question of seeing the clay at 1k is one which was discussed with james mc bride of ballykeeran , he too was dubious that the reticle would cover the clay and make the shot difficult, but i can honestly say it doesnt, we were using 16 power magnification on the scope.
    The rifle was laid on a ballistic bag to steady it , no rear bag was used
    we were shooting from the bonnet of a landrover { thank god , i have independant witnesses to this;)}.The ranges were checked using 2 rangefinders.we began shooting at 600 yds, then moved back to 800 then 1000 yds..my mate fired the the first 2 shots and broke 2 clays, you call which clay your firing at before you shoot, i then fired the next 2 shots
    missing the first but getting him on the second...
    I know this sounds like waffle but we have been shooting at long range since last summer at least twice a week, we have fired thousands of rounds through 223 with 69 grain sierra matchkings, 243 with 85 grain sierras and 308 with a variety of ammo..most shooters dont make these shots cos they dont try to shoot at long range..and irish shooters are stifled in a sense because they cant reload, ammo is expensive and finding somewhere to try it is quite difficult..but i can assure you its doable

• Advertisement

top class shooting foxshooter243:cool:
    and to think there are people looking at the shooting forum who.
    the same people that said no no (reloading) it is very bad thing to ask for
    if they see the shooting skills and intelligence this shooting community
    have that might think again. i know that sparks and other menber
    of this shooting community are breaking their nuts working for the
    best possible deal for all of us. we have to learn to walk first and
    then run only in time we will look back and say i remember that:)
    steve

Advertisement