Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else got a case of GAS??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I would love to buy a .308 centre fire and get into deer shooting.

Also would like a pistol 9mm would be nice but think my first one will be a .22

She who must be obeyed thinks the 2 guns I have is enough, but a few months ago she thought that 1 was more then enough.

So will have to stick with what I have till she comes around to my way of thinking.

Don't have any makes or models in mind for my dream gun safe. Best not to look at them till I can get one otherwise I will just drive myself crazy with want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Vegeta, The rifle was a sako 75 heavy barrel in 308 winchester, the trigger was lightened to 2 lbs it was fitted with a schmidt and bender pm 2 scope with a bryant reticle..the bullet was a 168 grain a max hornady bullet over 44.5 grains of varget powder seated to factory depth using a
    CCI large rifle primer-the cases were lapua.
    The load was tested for accuracy and chronographed to find out the extreme spread as this is critical in long range shooting and the muzzle velocity had to be high enough to keep the bullet supersonic all the way to the target-this particular load should be good to 1150 yds if our calculations are correct. you must remember that this was the best of several we had tried..cos this was a year long project.
    Now the question of seeing the clay at 1k is one which was discussed with james mc bride of ballykeeran , he too was dubious that the reticle would cover the clay and make the shot difficult, but i can honestly say it doesnt, we were using 16 power magnification on the scope.
    The rifle was laid on a ballistic bag to steady it , no rear bag was used
    we were shooting from the bonnet of a landrover { thank god , i have independant witnesses to this;)}.The ranges were checked using 2 rangefinders.we began shooting at 600 yds, then moved back to 800 then 1000 yds..my mate fired the the first 2 shots and broke 2 clays, you call which clay your firing at before you shoot, i then fired the next 2 shots
    missing the first but getting him on the second...
    I know this sounds like waffle but we have been shooting at long range since last summer at least twice a week, we have fired thousands of rounds through 223 with 69 grain sierra matchkings, 243 with 85 grain sierras and 308 with a variety of ammo..most shooters dont make these shots cos they dont try to shoot at long range..and irish shooters are stifled in a sense because they cant reload, ammo is expensive and finding somewhere to try it is quite difficult..but i can assure you its doable

My God!!!!! I am defo copying and pasting this thread to show to
    all my shooting buddies!!! Unreal stuff here. Already mentioned the thread
    to another shooting friend who could not believe it.

I would love to have the knowledge, ability, experiance, know how, equipment, and all the reloading to be able to do what yourself and
    your friend has been able to do. :)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Fair play foxshooter to you and your mate. I've got a Sako 75 varmint in .308 and I can only aspire to be as dedicated, patient, and accurate as you and your mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Oh also on my list of things to acquire.

I too would love some form of peli case for each of my firearms.

I would also love a big double strap drag type bag for my .223 for the long walks I go on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm not so much thinking of the protection though Veg - well, okay, I am for the international trips - but for the convienence. I'd love to be able to just go to a gun cabinet, take the entire peli case plus rifle out, go to the range, shoot, clean and repack, then go home and just slot the whole lot in one go into the safe.
    *sigh*
    Someday I'll live the dream...

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm not so much thinking of the protection though Veg - well, okay, I am for the international trips - but for the convienence. I'd love to be able to just go to a gun cabinet, take the entire peli case plus rifle out, go to the range, shoot, clean and repack, then go home and just slot the whole lot in one go into the safe.
    *sigh*
    Someday I'll live the dream...

That's a sweet system alright, maybe if I build my own house I can put a space for a safe big enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Would you not need a fairly monstrous safe to fit a whole Peli case in?

Actually, within a year or so, I'm going to need a bigger safe, so might as well add that to the list.

Yup. But I'd be living the dream! :D
    Of course, I'd still need to actually carry the thing, so maybe I should add a few sherpas to that list ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Actually, within a year or so, I'm going to need a bigger safe, so might as well add that to the list.

We gotta think bigger here. Don't stop at safes, we need vaults :D. A whole room to put your shiny shooting stuff in.

bigred wrote: »
    We gotta think bigger here. Don't stop at safes, we need vaults :D. A whole room to put your shiny shooting stuff in.

I was thinking more along the lines or a really really secure wardrobe :p

If I call it a vault the girlfriend will think its for shooting stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

Vegeta wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines or a really really secure wardrobe :p

If I call it a vault the girlfriend will think its for shooting stuff

with the credit crunch you might get a bank vault cheap
    northen rock:p moving it is a little problem:D:Dsteve

we need vaults
    I know I'm thinking big, but I think you might be over-thinking it there bigred, given what you're shooting with these days ;)

raidersofthelostark.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

bigred wrote: »

I got a Vault built into the plans in the basement of my New House 2.8mtrs x 4.8mtrs:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D just gotta hope planning is approved:( I'm kinda hoping that i can set up a reload bench in there too.

And just to explain how i am allowed to have a dedicated Gun room. I am currently single:(

Hezz700 wrote: »
    I got a Vault built into the plans in the basement of my New House 2.8mtrs x 4.8mtrs:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D just gotta hope planning is approved:( I'm kinda hoping that i can set up a reload bench in there too.

And just to explain how i am allowed to have a dedicated Gun room. I am currently single:(

some people have all the luck:Dsteve

Single and building a house with a gun vault in the basement with reloading bench.

You know I hear they've just legalised same sex marriage in California ;)

2.8x4.4? Feck's sake lad, that's useless. Unless of course, there's a 12mx1.5m corridor without doors at either end leading to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You sound ambitious... :p

post-215-1207845145.jpg

post-215-1207845245.jpg

post-215-1207845259.jpg

Apologies for the huge size, not that good with posting pics

Something to aspire to Hezz, and yes that is an indoor lane for shooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

i'm sure there are plenty of guys on here that would marry the man who owns all that, not me personally though...hahahaha :D

i will never ask what or to list what is in your safe vegeta:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Who is the very rich person who has such a fine collection Veg?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

ok guys i have to own up.check out my basement:eek:
    jeez i wish:D

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Who is the very rich person who has such a fine collection Veg?

Some guy (who is very very lucky) in the US, it was in a house that was for sale. I saw it on an english site I also vist

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

You must really have little to do in work ;).
    Anyway, you've wasted your time. My article 7 arrived yesterday and my new P44 has been popped into the post to me today :D. Gotta love the Germans.
    Sparks wrote: »
    I know I'm thinking big, but I think you might be over-thinking it there bigred, given what you're shooting with these days ;)

raidersofthelostark.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

great thinking there hezz, wish i had the foresight to have done that 20 years ago..make sure you run in phone cables and tv cables too ,cos theres lots of times when your reloading, doing the fiddly stuff you can be staring at the box as well..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

In my day dreams

A pistol grip stock for my benelli + 9 shot extended tube + rifled slug barrel
    A Richards micro fit silhouette stock for my 17hmr in black and grey laminate
    A custom built .308 with mc millan tactical stock, Remington action, lija barrel fluted and a good old zeiss scope to top the whole lot off with an atech moderator,theres probably a whole lot more to go into this but i havent researched it yet honest:o
    An electric clay pegion thrower so i dont have to ring around to get someone to go every time i want to go out
    A full larder with suitable freezer for the butchering of game
    A good pre charged rifle to go poping squirles and mags around farmyards and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

post-215-1207845145.jpg

post-215-1207845245.jpg

post-215-1207845259.jpg

Apologies for the huge size, not that good with posting pics

Something to aspire to Hezz, and yes that is an indoor lane for shooting

Own up Veg you've been taking photos of Grizzly 45's kitchen again haven't you!
    What gave it away was the Marble tiles! I wouldnt of recognized the place
    other than for that..... :D:D:D no wonder he wants one man one licence so much ;)

~B

You sound ambitious... :p

I just have a positive outlook.:D

great thinking there hezz, wish i had the foresight to have done that 20 years ago..make sure you run in phone cables and tv cables too ,cos theres lots of times when your reloading, doing the fiddly stuff you can be staring at the box as well..;)

I was thinking about something like that alright. Maybe one of those Bang and Olufsen systems:) if only i could afford it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Single and building a house with a gun vault in the basement with reloading bench.

You know I hear they've just legalised same sex marriage in California ;)

I'm not too sure how to take that Veg, But just in case your asking....I don't think your my type:p:D:D:D

Advertisement