Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift idea for an 18 year old friend(Kinda)

Options
  • 14-05-2008 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a female friends 18th birthday coming up. The problem is we're in a strange sort of more-than-friends-but-not-quite-dating situation. I was wondering if people have any ideas on what to get her. Also, would it be safer to get something too friendy or too relationshipy. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Get her a nice watch. It's not too either end of the spectrum, imo. But then again, I'm a bloke, so what the feck do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Cn't go wrong with some jewellry...something nice and neutral, like a simple chain or bracelet...doesnt have to be overly expensive either...

Im sure she'll love whatever you get her anyways, thought that counts and all that!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Erk jewellry, totl minefield!

What if she doesn't like what you buy her? I always tell my mates to steer clear unless they're totly sure of her taste.

A suggestion might be to ask her friends what makeup she uses (Mac/Clinque etc) and maybe get her a voucher to get her makeup done? This is usually then redeemable against any makeup she buys after

That way she can get it done for the bday night out and she'll know its because of you she looks so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

rented out a limo for gf at 18. 80 squid but she loved it. told everyone i was the buisness for ages afterwards :D

jenga-jen wrote: »
    Erk jewellry, totl minefield!

What if she doesn't like what you buy her? I always tell my mates to steer clear unless they're totly sure of her taste.

A suggestion might be to ask her friends what makeup she uses (Mac/Clinque etc) and maybe get her a voucher to get her makeup done? This is usually then redeemable against any makeup she buys after

That way she can get it done for the bday night out and she'll know its because of you she looks so good!

Or possibly over-think about the gift and wonder why he bought her makeup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

A puzzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Cant go wrong with a nice perfume.

nummnutts wrote: »
    Or possibly over-think about the gift and wonder why he bought her makeup?

LOL true! maybe rethink my suggestion OP!

Sorry not a girly girl so tend to go 'cheers for the present.....shots?'

LOL true! maybe rethink my suggestion OP!

Sorry not a girly girl so tend to go 'cheers for the present.....shots?'

Well I'm not a girly man :p, but I thought a lady like yourself would have seen the problems that could arise from receiving a present like that. :pac:

Well I'm not a girly man :p, but I thought a lady like yourself would have seen the problems that could arise from receiving a present like that. :pac:

well played sir :P

OP is there anything she'd mentioned recently? Favourite movie or TV box set maybe?

• Advertisement

Go on a recon mission with her in tow. Go in to town with her and make a mental note if she sees something she fancies but doesn't buy. Then later on/next day go in and buy it for her.

It's a good Plan B anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

voucher is a no no.
    no thought put into it, and most females i know dont like that.

the watch would be ok if you were dating, but you said you are kinda in limbo with that at the moment.

hmmmm, it's a toughie.

i would go for something simple, maybe bring her out for dinner, or sunday lunch or something.

if you have a photo of the two of you, you could frame it, again tho, she may see that as a relationship kinda present.

usually if i was buying for a female friend it would be a book of some kind, does she read?

Go on a recon mission with her in tow. Go in to town with her and make a mental note if she sees something she fancies but doesn't buy. Then later on/next day go in and buy it for her.

It's a good Plan B anyway.

it's a good plan A

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

No, dont go with a voucher...too impersonal....a nice dinner would be nice, somewhere classy...not like the local McDonalds or something,

Personally, I wouldnt like perfume from a guy, some girls can be really picky about that kinda thing..

TBH, i wouldnt fancy a framed picture of us either...especially of youre not techinally going out with the girl yet! Very relationshippy!!

lilmizzme wrote: »
    No, dont go with a voucher...too impersonal....a nice dinner would be nice, somewhere classy...not like the local McDonalds or something,

Personally, I wouldnt like perfume from a guy, some girls can be really picky about that kinda thing..

TBH, i wouldnt fancy a framed picture of us either...especially of youre not techinally going out with the girl yet! Very relationshippy!!

yes not mcDonalds, Eddies is far classier!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

Kick in the Gowl!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

well it depends do you want her to end up your girlfriend or not?

if so, well remember that episod eof friends where chandler got joeys girlfiend a book he knew she would love? well, think about conversations you had with her and theres bound to be something she would really like, something unique that will really mean something to her.

if you just wanna be friends go for something a bit more generic you dont wanna give her the wrong idea

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stevelknievel

OP is there anything she'd mentioned recently? Favourite movie or TV box set maybe?

She didn't mention any favourites, but movies have come up in conversation, mostly old ones like Scream and the Lion King and such. I was thinking of maybe gettin one or 2 of those(for the personal touch) and some perfume to go along with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

Take her for lunch and MAKE her your girlfriend:)

She didn't mention any favourites, but movies have come up in conversation, mostly old ones like Scream and the Lion King and such. I was thinking of maybe gettin one or 2 of those(for the personal touch) and some perfume to go along with.

That's a great idea! Shows you were listening about the movies and the perfum shows you're thinking of her in girly-girl way and not just as a mate!

Good luck btw!

And as Niaivie says: MAKE her your girlfriend!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭stevelknievel

Thanks Jenga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭do you love it?

i think a voucher for her favourite shop, or even an online voucher.
    like vouchers for Abercrombie get emailed to you and you write out the message on the card...its a great surprise (and the dollar is so good right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

lilmizzme wrote: »

Well I got my girlfriend of a week (bad time for her birthday) who turned 16 a boxset of dvd's, while nothing romantic about it she really did like it and I think thats what matters.

Advertisement