Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Ice Cream Maker?

• 14-05-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Folks

Been advised by a member in the Electricals forum that someone here may have good advice to offer on a good brand of ice-cream maker to buy, and where to get it?
    Summer's coming (already here, and about to end like last year??) and I want to get one of these gadgets to make some ice-cream at home.

All help appreciated

PS - Hoping the moderators don't move this to Electricals - I'm here because I'm told that the people on food and recipes are the gurus!!!
    Donal

Comments

Well, I have a Kenwood Chef and I got an icecream making attachment, so at least that meant I didn't have a separate piece of equipment taking up space. It worked very well, made a family sized amount in one go, and recipes included. I did think the paddle was quite weak and also after several years the freezing stuff (like in ice packs) started to leak out. Would I buy one again? I don't think so, because I found that making ice cream was simply too much hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It was me that recommended here. These peeps know their stuff!

See OP, the Kenwood Chef is a lovely machine and even that isn't considered a quality attachment. Ice-cream makers are dodgy.

Hopefully somebody will have a good recommendation for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Ice cream makers come in two types - those that have a compressor and continuously chill the mixture; and those that don't. The type that don't have a compressor will require you to freeze the bucket before making the icecream and occassionally take the mixture off the machine and refreeze it before completing the churning. Another thing to be aware of is that neither machine will produce a finished ice cream product - there will usually be a final freeze required.

Unsurprisingly there is a big difference between the prices. Have a look at the Le Glacier and the Gelatio on this page to compare prices and spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I got a Kenwood ice cream maker a few years ago and it was fantastic. It was one that you had to freeze for 24 hours beforehand so no spur of the moment ice cream making! However, it churned and froze the ice cream to a very thick, creamy consistency in 20 minutes so it only needed about another 20 minutes in the freezer before it could be eaten. My mum lost a bit of it though so I can't use it anymore.

If you have the space (and the money) go for one that doesn't need to be frozen first. If not, the Kenwood ones that need to be frozen, or the slightly more expensive La Glacier ones do the job well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

janeybabe wrote: »
    My mum lost a bit of it though so I can't use it anymore.

Janey - Kenwood spares available here - Delivery to Ireland is £6.99.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The daddy of all ice-cream makers for the home:
    Gaggia Gelatiera Ice Cream Maker

Minder wrote: »
    Janey - Kenwood spares available here - Delivery to Ireland is £6.99.

That's great, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The daddy of all ice-cream makers for the home:
    Gaggia Gelatiera Ice Cream Maker

I must have it. Its going on the wedding list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

I got the one from Lidl/Aldi (can't remember which!) for my birthday last week. I know that you have to freeze the container first but I haven't had time to use it yet. Will update when I do though...

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Bought the Le Glacier model that needs the bowl to be frozen first - really good results, and if you leave the bowl in the freezer it's ready whenever you need to make ice-cream.

Results really good and rich - made stuff using double cream. May need to consider some lighter options for both health and financial reasons. My wife said "That's really good ice-cream, and hey, it must have cost you less than four times the cost of Haagen Dazs to make it"!!! :o Stroppy mare!!

Anyone know where I can get good recipes?

Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How about this?
    http://www.blendtec.com/videoplayer.aspx?sku=TB-611-BHM&video=5.+Total+Blender+-+Ice+Cream.flv

My friend is arriving back from the US with one for me today :D

Cheapest I found was $435 delivered within the US with a UK/Ire plug/Voltage from blindguru.com

cormie wrote: »
    How about this?
    http://www.blendtec.com/videoplayer.aspx?sku=TB-611-BHM&video=5.+Total+Blender+-+Ice+Cream.flv

My friend is arriving back from the US with one for me today :D

Cheapest I found was $435 delivered within the US with a UK/Ire plug/Voltage from blindguru.com

Ew that man is freaky! And he put weird stuff in the ice cream! Pretty cool that a blender can make ice cream though.

Hehe, he reminds me of one of the guys from the US office. My blender is now in Ireland, oooh, gonna go pick it up soon :)

So how is everyones ice cream maker going? The blender ice-cream option is good for some instant ice-cream, but you really need milk pudding kinda stuff to get the texture in the video I think so I'm thinking of buying a dedicated ice-cream maker for use with "healthier" ice creams :)

Advertisement