Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Selling Video Games on Every Gaming Platform

Options
  • 14-05-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

The title is a little bit of an exaggeration, but still. Pretty good list. This list proves why all PC gamers should boycott The Sims. Also I've never even heard of Lineage 2???

http://kezins.com/2008/04/18/top-5-selling-video-games-on-every-gaming-platform/
    PC:
    1. The Sims (50 million)
    2. Lineage 2 (17 million players)
    3. The Sims 2 (13 million)

* * The Sims 2: Pets [expansion pack] (5.6 million)

* * The Sims 2: Seasons [expansion pack] (1 million)

4. World of Warcraft (10 million subscribers)

* * World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade [expansion pack] (3.5 million)

5. StarCraft (9.5 million, includes StarCraft: Brood War)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Apparenly wii sports is the best selling wii game? who'd have thought?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Top 20 on all platforms

1. The Sims (50 million)
    2. Super Mario Bros. (40.23 million)
    3. Tetris (33 million)
    4. DuckHunt (28.31 million)
    5. Wii Sports (21.09 million)
    6. Pokémon Red, Blue, and Green (20.08 million)
    7. Super Mario World (20 million)
    8. Super Mario Bros. 3 (18 million)
    9. Lineage 2 (17 million players)
    10. Nintendogs (17.79 million)
    11. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (17.5 million)
    12. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (14.88 million)
    13. Grand Theft Auto III (14.5 million)
    14. Pokémon Diamond and Pearl (14.17 million)
    15. New Super Mario Bros. (13.14 million)
    16. Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire (13 million)
    17. The Sims 2 (13 million)
    18. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (12 million)
    19. Wii Play (11.31 million)
    20. Super Mario 64 (11 million)

Nintendo really do seem get the best games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

L31mr0d wrote: »
    The title is a little bit of an exaggeration, but still. Pretty good list. This list proves why all PC gamers should boycott The Sims. Also I've never even heard of Lineage 2???

http://kezins.com/2008/04/18/top-5-selling-video-games-on-every-gaming-platform/
    1. Lots of "PC gamers" don't give a damn what you think and will continue to buy into The Sims because, hey, that's what they like :)
    2. Lineage is an MMORPG franchise with a big install base in Korea - home of the MMORPG (and subscription-based/multiplayer PC gaming in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The sims expansions used to sell for 30 euro each, and you had people buying all 7 including the orignal? Thats like 280 euro for the whole lot! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

But on the plus side they'll probably get more play time out of the Sims and a few expansions than people who pay 180-odd for rockband will (and lord knows how much you'd play if you got all the DLC for rockband too)

Also, Pokémon at 20.08 million copies? Bloody hell, i know they're good games but i didn't think they'd sold that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Holy crap duckhunt sold 28 million? Never would have thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,970 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

ShaneU wrote: »
    Holy crap duckhunt sold 28 million? Never would have thought that.

There was a Super Mario Bros/Dunk Hunt 2 in 1 cart that came packaged along with a lot of Nes consoles. I'm sure that really added to the numbers sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    The sims expansions used to sell for 30 euro each, and you had people buying all 7 including the orignal? Thats like 280 euro for the whole lot! :eek:

And RockBand is €200+ and people will buy that.

The Sims should not be boycotted - it is a relatively simple concept that plays upon peoples' desires and enabled them to be "a God" except in a more down to earth setting that they would be used to. It also enables players to play out their own soap operas.

Unfortunately it is milked for all that it is worth with the expansion packs but nothing should be taken away from the core game...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I think a few of me mates are getting rock band, but i can see people arguing over playing the guitar, and nobody will touch the mike because they don't want to be embarrassed? :( Thats the fun of it! Theres no way I'm spending 180 euro on that game, ill let me mates buy it...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I think a few of me mates are getting rock band, but i can see people arguing over playing the guitar, and nobody will touch the mike because they don't want to be embarrassed? :( Thats the fun of it! Theres no way I'm spending 180 euro on that game, ill let me mates buy it...:D

Your friends must *love* you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1. Lots of "PC gamers" don't give a damn what you think and will continue to buy into The Sims because, hey, that's what they like :)

Clearly :rolleyes: the numbers show that, but that's cool because I don't give a damn about gamers who think The Sims is a good game. The same way I don't give a damn about the people who think Halo 2/3 are good games. Or the way I don't give a damn about the millions of people who think reality TV shows are worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Clearly :rolleyes: the numbers show that, but that's cool because I don't give a damn about gamers who think The Sims is a good game. The same way I don't give a damn about the people who think Halo 2/3 are good games. Or the way I don't give a damn about the millions of people who think reality TV shows are worth watching.
    So why should the Sims be boycotted then? :D

I do find it odd that so few bought the add on for World Of Warcraft. I would of thought it'd be a lot higher. And I also love the picture they use to represent PC's :D

ibm_pc_xt.jpg

Advertisement