Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert points in UCAS points

• 14-05-2008 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

HI Im applying to a job in london which requires 320 ucas points.I got 485 points in my leaving and id like to know what that translates to in UCAS points.Ive looked it up on the web and while ive been able to find a UCAS tariff- it doesnt state how many subjects I can add up using the tariff ie. can I add all 6 or do I have to take my four best.I rang the UCAS phoneline but they were no help.
    I,D appreciate if anyone applying to an english uni could help me out.Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

They never said how many subjects but I think it's as many as you have done .
    HA1=90 HA2=77 HB1=71 HB2=64 HB3=58 HC1=52 HC2=45 HC3=39=OA1 HD1=33 HD2=OA2=26
    HD3=OB1=20 OB2=14 OB3= 7
    I would just add up all the points from all your sujects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

so does that mean i can add up all 7 subjects which I did in my leaving.(did irish just to pass it in ordinary)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

jonsnow wrote: »
    so does that mean i can add up all 7 subjects which I did in my leaving.(did irish just to pass it in ordinary)?

I believe you're allowed to use as many as you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

Hey i think they take the first four as most people in England only do around 4 a leavel subjects as opposed to 7 l.c subjects.

Hey i think they take the first four as most people in England only do around 4 a leavel subjects as opposed to 7 l.c subjects.
    That's not relevant. For example in Scotland, they tend to do far more.

The following is from UCAS:
    "There is no ceiling to the number of points which can be accumulated."
    That's taken from this page: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/

Also, the points for the Leaving are given on this page:
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/
    (Scroll down a bit).

Also, the following points calculator (not for the UCAS site) allows you to enter up to eight subjects, which it would hardly do if fewer were allowed. (Unfortunately, it doesn't include LC.)

http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/studentlife/beforeuniversity/ucas/ucaspointscalculator.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

That's not relevant. For example in Scotland, they tend to do far more.

logic would tell me thats just a generalised statement

Alevel courses are HUGE more than four with a normal person is suicide, and most people in england do like 3 or so

I wasn't saying they did more than 4 A-levels; I was referring to Scottish Highers, which are more like the LC, and in which people usually do more than four.

The point is that there are lots of different types of qualification on the UCAS tarriff, and the fact that people don't usually do more than four A-levels is not relevant to how any of the other qualifications are dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

jonsnow wrote: »

Yeah just add it up because there is no specific requirements and the more subjects you do overthere the more points you can get from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnboy09

Hi John I too am looking for work in the UK and have been wondering how many subjects that I can calculating my UCAS points, did you get an answer from the employer you were applying to?

I know you're new, but look at the date that was posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnboy09

Cheers that was insightful, I think that after a year John might have found out a little more on the topic. Let's just hope he is more helpful than your dear self!

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

johnboy09 wrote: »
    Cheers that was insightful, I think that after a year John might have found out a little more on the topic. Let's just hope he is more helpful than your dear self!

Regards
    Considering John has probably forgotten this thread exists in the course of over 12 months, I think you might have a better chance of getting an answer from him by sending him a PM with your enquiry. ;)

johnboy09 wrote: »

Regards

I find it a little unlikely that he'll check back here very often.........as was said above, send him a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 abovetherocks

http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

http://www.ncca.ie/uploadedfiles/Publications/UCAS0204.pdf

For anyone coming on to this thread, I found these websites helpful for
    getting the UCAS tariff points for Leaving Certificate grades.

I was thinking of doing a Leaving Cert or two, but I can see that the highest point is the grading for 'B' grade at A Level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Still don't get it...

Is it 6 subjects or 7? Does LCVP count? Is so, how?

Does any subsequent degrees or masters count (Level 7, 8, 9)?

Advertisement