Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling my house: Contracts sent to buyers solicitor.. what now?

Options
  • 14-05-2008 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

Put my house on the market in March and a couple put a booking deposit down on it 5 weeks ago. My solicitor got the deeds of my house 2 weeks ago and last week she drew up the contracts and sent me out a copy.

Anyway I have chosen the 19th June as the date of closing. The contract was sent to the sellers solicitor last week. I dont know if the sellers are happy with the 19th June date of closing, I dont even know if they have looked at the contract yet.

Would it be normal for a contract to be changed a few times before agreement is reached? What I mean is the couple may not be able to move in by June 19th so could understandably want a later date. This would mean a brand new contract would have to be drawn up and the whole process takes even longer to finish.

I plan to rent a house for a year but I dont know wheter I should start looking yet. I hate been in this limbo situation. At least if I knew that the June 19th date was ok with the solicitors I could start looking for a new place to rent. I wonder would it be worth my while to get in contact with the buyers solicitor myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Assume the 19th June is ok. 6 weeks is normal. If buyers are not happy it is up to them to get back to you. It is normal not to have heard anything at this stage. Don't hassle buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

@ beeno67.. Thanks.. Im just getting stressed with the whole thing.. Suppose that is par for the course in the world of house selling. I keep thinking that something is going to go wrong and the deal will fall through.. There is no reason that it will (on my part anyway)but I cant help feeling that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Closing dates mean very little at this stage in a transaction. The solicitors will be writing over and back to each other to prepare for the closing. A lot depends on how efficient and/or busy each solicitor is. Solicitors multi-thread conveyances with other work so sometimes they don't get things done straight away.
    It would be very un-professional to ring the buyers solicitor. That solicitor should not even speak to you.
    Any contact should go between the solicitors. Wait until the buyers have sent back a signed contract before seeking alternative accommodation. Even then wait until they are demanding to close before signing a lease.
    Some buyers will deliberately stall the closing for various reasons. Unless you are prepared to break the deal and tell them to get lost, there is little you can do about it.

Advertisement