Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

free lawn mowing

Options
  • 14-05-2008 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

i am trying to figure out a way to get the lawns mowed (1/4 acre) for as cheap as possibal.

the best method that i can think of, is to buy a few lambs,
    and maybe fence off the garden
    or if it works one of them dogs radio collar
    or just keep the gates closed

i could keep them for the summer and then bring them to a butchers in september, and buy new ones the next year

i know i will still need to mow the lawn (to keep it at the one height) but the savings in petrol and time would be huge

loss- price of lambs :confused:
    gain- freezer full of lamb chops :cool:
    saving less petrol burned over the summer

would this be legal
    would it be too soon to eat them in september
    do you think i would make a saving
    would this option be more enviromentally friendly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

A goat would do the job nicely for you, cheap enough to buy as far as I know and should keep the grass fairly short.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

If you use a biological solution, eg sheep, goats, etc, what about all the sh1t? The cure would be worse than the disease.

There is a Christian organisation that do garden work for free/feck all. Think they're full of ex-cons trying to stay on the straight and narrow by gardening. I got a leaflet through the door a week or so ago. I see if I can dig it out for you or maybe someone else knows about them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

thats a good point about the poo
    goat poo (thanks for tip bauderline) is better, bit like raisins (in looks, not taste), but i would never eat a goat, smelly feckers, and i wont be able to feed them over winter

thanks for the ex-cons tip, but no thanks :eek:
    would this be legal
    would it be too soon to eat them in september
    do you think i would make a saving
    would this option be more enviromentally friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

mukki wrote: »
    thats a good point about the poo
    goat poo (thanks for tip bauderline) is better, bit like raisins (in looks, not taste), but i would never eat a goat, smelly feckers, and i wont be able to feed them over winter

thanks for the ex-cons tip, but no thanks :eek:

How do you know it does'nt taste like raisins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

How do you know it does'nt taste like raisins?

[after hours] cause they taste like your moma [/after hours]

anyway

back on topic, i am suprised that there is not more interest in this thread......
    i'm talking about a way to save time, save money, save the envoroment and get a freezer full of chops in time for each winter, win win win win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'll sell you Shergar for e50. Paypal accepted.

OT: No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

If I had lambs in my garden I'd be too tempted to lash one (or two) onto the barbeque every now and again. They'd be used up by June :(

* rushes off to buy mint sauce *....

I have one acre of "lawn", more like a bloody field!! the sheep idea sounds like being worth persuing.

How many sheep/acre would you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sheep! Ha ha!

Nah - you need one of these:
    http://www.husqvarna.ie/node1555.aspx?cid=118

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

pet lambs are nearly always advailable, animal sanctuarys often have them, for rehoming, green issues i.e recycling, get a lamb it keeps the lawn, its free range tasty, and almost free, same routine next year, put a collar a collar around the neck, and tied them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

One note of caution, I am presently repairing a lawn that was invaded by sheep, they must have been wearing high heels, 2 inch holes all over the place. Took me 1 day and 2 giant bales of moss peat to repair front lawn. Still have to do side lawn and back lawn. Site is almost 3/4 acre, less house and driveway. Pain in the butt . Hoping to tackle it again this weekend.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

What about turning part or all of it into a wildflower meadow, low maintenance and good for wild life?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Sheep! Ha ha!

Nah - you need one of these:
    http://www.husqvarna.ie/node1555.aspx?cid=118

Have one of these they are great. :D The biggest one would probably do the job. Worth getting a price from a UK company :D as I got it much cheaper than the price quoted locally, saved 600 euro. and the ROI price was a time limited specila offer. :eek:

If you need any advice you can PM me.

Advertisement