Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online Readings

• 14-05-2008 12:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think it would be a great idea if the posters among us who practice giving readings would be willing to try giving online readings in the forum here. That's easy for me to say since I don't do it, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there and see what people think?

I've seen it done online before and it worked quite well. If people are interested we can draw up a protocol on how to ask for a reading and how it should be done

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Definitely worth a try. Dunno if my particular brand of reading will work well, but its an interesting exercise. I did a training exercise once where you had to write down a page of information about (in my case) a spirit link, before passing on any of it. Its a tough way to work, but brilliant for learning accuracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Part of the problem might be people willing to be read? Some might not want anything personal to come out.

I'd do it but I'm an open book.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

I am more than willing (and have said it before). If anyone can read how I killed my brother (oh wait shouldn't have said that...) I'll be impressed.

Yeah not a problem, in fact I'd be delighted if personal details did come out. Nothing more I'd love than a bit of evidence!

So should such readings be kept private, say via msn or pm? I would have thought so unless it was a demonstration for everyone.

The reader/readee could always report back on whether it went good bad or awfully. :)

Edit: Am racking my brains to see how to work this. How DO you get someone to shuffle cards online....?

If someone wants to do mine post it publically and I'll comment on it. I swear on 'On The Origin of Species' I'll be honest! Any takers?

• Advertisement

I want to get this working, but havent the faintest how to get it going properly. I have no way of connecting to you, ???. Ffs, you havent even got a name that can be spoken.:D

Lemme think on it and in the meantime, see if Ksheil or any of the others pop in with ideas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The way I would picture it working, is that somebody wanting to be read would start a new thread for it. Their OP could state any questions they might have or if they just want a general reading. If there were particularly private questions they would mention that at this point and ask for a PM response.

Then anybody (could be one person, could be multiple) willing to try a reading would do their thing and the post the reading(s) on thread. Also any readers who were willing could send a pm if requested to answer the more private questions. This means readers could do a reading for the lighter things without having to get involved in more serious aspects, if they so desired. I'd also imagine that if any readers came up with something very personal they could pm the requester instead of posting it directly on thread.

I'd prefer that as much as possible of any reading be conducted on thread. But if people don't feel that is suitable then perhaps the reading could be sent to the requester via pm, and the requester could then decide for themselves which bits if any to share on thread.

Either way, I think that having as much as possible available on thread makes it more interesting for everyone, aswell as satisfying my vouyeristic needs :)

Also, while I certainly trust all our users who are readers at the moment, I would slightly wary of people signing up in the future to give "I see a lot of money in your future, ring 1850 .... ... for more" type readings, I doubt it will happen much, but I can guarantee it'll happen at least once.

I'd also be a little concerned that people who do give some readings could end up being bombarded with PMs without having volunteered for that. Hopefully a carefully worded sticky with instructions on asking for readings could prevent that.

Right I'll post a thread with a bit of general info and a couple of questions I want answered. How about the psychcis read me and PM me the answers then after say a week I'll post them all with my comments? Just to get as many readings seperate from eachother.

??? wrote: »
    Right I'll post a thread with a bit of general info and a couple of questions I want answered. How about the psychcis read me and PM me the answers then after say a week I'll post them all with my comments? Just to get as many readings seperate from eachother.
    Careful with the general info. Name and gender will do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I think it's a daft idea.
    You're opening the vulnerable to amateur readings, humiliation, and nonsensical noise from random Internet idiots.

• Advertisement

Take the word 'readings' out of that and you could be describing 95% of the internet :)

I do take your point though, and it's something I have thought about. Some particularly vulnerable people have turned up on the paranormal forum before, and I think they have been treated quite well. In short, they have been kindly and sympathetically told that readings aren't right for them, they shouldn't be dependant on them.

But excluding people obviously vulnerable, I think we should just treat people like adults and let them make up their own minds. And I have a lot of faith in the people here who I think would consider giving readings that they would execute good judgement when it comes to who/how they read. There are less trustworthy people out there, but they will be watched for.

It'l' require some close watching, which is part of the reason I would prefer as much as possible of readings be presented on thread one way or the other, but nothing beyond what's on many other forums either.

Just an idea.

If someone is receiving multiple readings from different people, can the readers put spoiler tags on to help the others who are trying to read?

You do have to take it on trust that the other readers wont peek, but I know Id prefer not to risk scanning someone elses info accidentally.

Or maybe thats a daft thought. :)

Great idea imo, I know preconceptions can be difficult to overcome, I'm sure seeing a previous reading would only make that much harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

have seen or rather heard, tarot readings on yahoo chat, ye know with the voice thingie and all that, am pretty sure you could use that or say ventrillo skype teamspeak etc.. to do the readings

Seeing as Oryx now 'doesn't trust' me is there anyone else bothered to do it?

??? wrote: »
    Seeing as Oryx now 'doesn't trust' me is there anyone else bothered to do it?
    lol. ah, im sure we will get there, i just need to get to know you.:)

Could the readings not be done over PM? A thread is created where people put forward their names etc and ask questions.

Could the readings not be done over PM? A thread is created where people put forward their names etc and ask questions.
    If agreed, the pms could sometimes be posted on thread afterward, subject to editing personal information?

But be careful with questions, which can be leading. I dont know, maybe other readers prefer to work with questions but initially I dont.

Im still figuring all this stuff out, personally. I need a few practice goes with non judgemental people who will let me fall flat on my face.:) You can never guarantee anyway, but this whole online thing is a complete unknown to me.*

*edit: and duh... Im supposed to be psychic....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭STUBBORNGIRL

Is this idea going ahead??? it is a good idea and i would love to have an online reading!!! Can someone please let me know where you are with this?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I would have totally disagreed with the idea of online readings even a month ago but I've been swayed. I never really believed that an online reading could be accurate until I was, by chance, asked to give one on my first night in another forum. I knew nothing of the girl I read for and thought I was just gona humiliate myself. Turned out that the lady I read for was delighted with the reading and said that everything I said was relevant. So I do believe that they can be accurate. I was also given very accurate readings myself online, though I don't believe an online reading can ever be that in dept anyway.

I think this is a very good suggestion but I would say that maybe doing it totally publically would only leave people open to humiliation. I myself have very little confidence in what I can and can't read from my cards. Sometimes I'm bang on, other times I just feel nothing! People like me who try and read and unfortunately don't give correct information will be left open to criticism and that won't do any favours for their spiritual growth. Maybe try keep it private for the most part, with public feedback perhaps.

Ohhh this is all very exciting. Best of luck with it anyway. I'd be willing to be read for, I'm not confident enough yet to actually give readings however!

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MMW

Has anybody decided to do this? I would like to have a reading and wouldn't mind if it was by pm or on the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭psychic-hack

I think this could be a good idea.
    I've been doing tarot readings for family, friends and colleagues for years and I'd be willing to read for other users on this forum.
    I believe readers can use their discretion in how they frame their readings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I-would-second-and-third-that.
    Count-me-in-for-a-reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 star27

Count me in too - I'd love a reading!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Sagittarius79

Me too. If anyone would like to give me a reading pls send me a pm. :)

Ok I've done a reading for Stevenmu, seeing as he started the thread!
    Now shall I slap it up here or will I send it to you privately?
    Nothing too shocking there.:D

Do me next! Just seeing as I've been the chief sceptic in this thread...

Thanks psychic-hack, feel free to post it up :)

Actually I'll start a new thread, maybe we can keep this one for discussing how readings should be organised and then everyone requesting a reading should start a new thread for it to keep them seperate?

edit: started one here

To everyone else who asked me for a reading, I'm not forgetting about you. I'm in work tonight and don't have my cards with me :rolleyes:
    but I will do readings for those who requested one tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dub0605

To everyone else who asked me for a reading, I'm not forgetting about you. I'm in work tonight and don't have my cards with me :rolleyes:

i sent you a pm, tks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

To everyone else who asked me for a reading, I'm not forgetting about you. I'm in work tonight and don't havemy cards with me :rolleyes:
    Looking-forward-to-it,thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 star27

Me too! If you have time I would love one too! Thanks! :)

Right I've pm'd readings to just about everyone who asked me for one.
    Phew! I sent the readings privately to give the recipient the option of putting it on the board themselves - or not - if they wish.

Thanks for all the feedback already, it's been very interesting.
    cheers:)

I didn't get one :(!!!

Where possible, could a reader post on a request thread 'reading given' so you know who has had one and who hasnt. Otherwise if its done by pm you just dont know, and one person could have a dozen readings and others like ??? above get none?

• Advertisement

I'll be posting up a set of rules/guidelines for requesting/giving readings later on today and I'll try to incorporate everything that has been mentioned here. I'll post again here when it is up, I'm sure I'll get it wrong the first time :), so maybe we can get some feedback on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thinking of going for a reading soon. Would anybody care to give me one online?

Thinking of going for a reading soon. Would anybody care to give me one online?
    I would. Ill try with cards this evening and pm you tomorrow with it if thats ok? I havent tried mediumship in this environment yet, so I keep it to cards.

That alright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That would be great, thank you.

Hi all,

I've posted some guidelines for requesting a reading here and I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Thanks,
    Steve

• Advertisement

Excellent guidelines. Might I add a suggestion?
    If someone starts a thread seeking a reading, could they please give
    8 random numbers between 1 and 56 (inclusive).
    The reason is, this would be the nearest thing to the person picking the cards from the deck themselves, as they would if I was doing a face-to-face reading. I think it would sharpen the focus.
    Cheers.

Good idea, added to the guidelines. Thanks psychic-hack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Am i to understand that any readings will be (if choosen) returned in private to requested person ?

Thanks L

That's the idea anyway.

How do people feel the online readings idea is working out?

Is it a good thing?

Is it overwhelming the forum a bit?

Any other feedback?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Evening,

I would have to say I think it's taking over the forum a bit.... perhaps we could suspend it for a while, it seems to be preventing any other discussion

Ladybird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SwinterTarot

online readings are all well and good but you find EVERY one wants ones lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

stevenmu wrote: »
    How do people feel the online readings idea is working out?

Is it a good thing?

Is it overwhelming the forum a bit?

Any other feedback?

Nothing spotting people from starting other threads, not like we have a 5 thread a day limit.

online readings are all well and good but you find EVERY one wants ones lol

Couldn't agree more :D

LB

6th wrote: »
    Nothing spotting people from starting other threads, not like we have a 5 thread a day limit.

If only.............;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement