Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda speed checks in port!

Options
  • 14-05-2008 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

FYI Gards are setting up shop just outside the rugby club entrance in behind the wall! speed limit is 80k! i NEARLY got done for doing 100K. Just a word of warning to be on your guard!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Ruby-J wrote: »
    FYI Gards are setting up shop just outside the rugby club entrance in behind the wall! speed limit is 80k! i NEARLY got done for doing 100K. Just a word of warning to be on your guard!
    also at blackhall bridge yesterday aswell. no harm after that bad accident on sunday. Its a pity that these things have to happen before any effort is made to deter speeders!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Good girl! It's very easy to speed on that raod I have to say...I always double check my speed on the way down ~ it's a very easy road to drive.

Stevoman, what accident happened at the weekend??

Good girl! It's very easy to speed on that raod I have to say...I always double check my speed on the way down ~ it's a very easy road to drive.

Stevoman, what accident happened at the weekend??

2 people killed on a head on collision on the portarlington mountmellick road. between the golf links and portarlington. a young guy in a car allegedly came behind a car so fast he had to overtake the car in front and hit an oncoming taxi head on. the taxi driver and passenger lost their lives. Im glad to see they are speed checking now TBH if it saves lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

stevoman wrote: »
    2 people killed on a head on collision on the portarlington mountmellick road. between the golf links and portarlington. a young guy in a car allegedly came behind a car so fast he had to overtake the car in front and hit an oncoming taxi head on. the taxi driver and passenger lost their lives. Im glad to see they are speed checking now TBH if it saves lives.

oh my goodness. thats terrible. and the young guy who caused the crash survived? im amazed.

oh my goodness. thats terrible. and the young guy who caused the crash survived? im amazed.

yep, he survived and so did his passengers. they were in a BMW.

• Advertisement

Jesus that's horrendous....bad driving in whatever form is so dangerous ~ people think they are invincible sometimes just because they are behind the wheel of a car..I do about 600 miles a week and am amazed daily as to how more people aren't killed on the roads.

There was a terrible accident on the M50 on Saturday afternoon too that stopped all Northbound traffic for nearly 3 hours. People were just parked and sitting on their car bonnets in the sun. I ended up wandering around Dundrum trying to pass time instead. Turned out that 2 people had died in an accident there too :(

noway curvy?! oh my goodness. its unreal how people drive lately! there was another crash on m50?? there was only 1 2 weeks ago northbound aswell. for flips sake you would swear it was the autobahn in germany the speeds some people do on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Yeah saw that accident at the wkend was v nasty! Gaurds were like antichrists! were lifting everyone out of it for nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 SJ08

Guards are everywhere, my boyfriend was going out of port, gaurd was parked at the second siac gate, just beside port tyres. The guard had the speed camera pointed at traffic coming into town. bf goes by leaving a 60kph going into a 80kph zone. guard followed him told him he was doing 70kph and gave him 2 points and a €90 fine. Then last week I was coming into port from monasterevin on bog road, talking on my bluetooth handsfree but was holding my moblie in my hand. 2 points and a €60 fine.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

it has nothing to do with that accident at the weekend. It'sa the good weather thats got them out. They are working on their tans. It's not just Port that they are around. It the whole country. I've seen 20 checkpoints this in the past 2 weeks. that 19 more that i saw since last august.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 hugejeans

kikel wrote: »
    it has nothing to do with that accident at the weekend. It'sa the good weather thats got them out. They are working on their tans. It's not just Port that they are around. It the whole country. I've seen 20 checkpoints this in the past 2 weeks. that 19 more that i saw since last august.
    was thinking the same thing myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 SJ08

good point kikel

Ah kikel dont be like that. they are definitly out due to how horrendous that accident was. i was talking to one of the guards lads yesterday evening and he was saying that thats why. To try and catch people speeding to teach them a lesson. sure its the good weather that takes a lot of the boy racers out and about for a drive. Im really glad to see them out though, i lost somewhon in a car accident and it sure gave me a taste or reality. I never speed now.

If only the goverment had the common sense to realise its the bad country roads with dips, bumps and bad corners that are to blame for half these deaths!

Ah kikel dont be like that. they are definitly out due to how horrendous that accident was. i was talking to one of the guards lads yesterday evening and he was saying that thats why. To try and catch people speeding to teach them a lesson. sure its the good weather that takes a lot of the boy racers out and about for a drive. Im really glad to see them out though, i lost somewhon in a car accident and it sure gave me a taste or reality. I never speed now.

If only the goverment had the common sense to realise its the bad country roads with dips, bumps and bad corners that are to blame for half these deaths!

Totally agree with you that accident was horrible. But there is no point teaching anyone a lesson after 2 fatalities. The local gardai should be doing regular speed checks all year round. The government set up a traffic corp and i never see any speed checks. Their is a traffic corp car round portarlington on a regular basis and it is never doing traffic duty. Michael McDowell set it up and all they feckin did was rebrand a load of Garda cars. Their are plenty of Gardai in the town. If you drive by the rear of the barracks their is generally 3 Garda cars parked in there. 2 marked and one unmarked.

With regard to the country roads i totally agree, the Gardai should be patrolling these roads every now and again to prevent speeding. I travel the roads of Laois on a regular basis with work and i never see them on the dangerous roads.

"Teaching people a lesson" more like trying to make themselves feel better after letting 2 people die on our roads because they rarely do speed checks

RANT OVER

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

they are definitly out due to how horrendous that accident was. i was talking to one of the guards lads yesterday evening and he was saying that thats why

That sounds very unrealistic tbh,if that's the reason they were out then they'd be out at night,not during the day when the people who were involved in that aren't out!!
    sure its the good weather that takes a lot of the boy racers out and about for a drive.

Are you actually serious about that?! Do you think those lad's only decidie to go out and speed around whe the weather's fine?! Far from it,they go out at night when there's less car's on the road so they have a clearer run!!!
    That accident the other day/night was caused by two sh1ts racing each other on that road cause it's a long enough stretch!

And to everyone else the guards are always out arounfdthe Lea Rd nothing to do with that accident!!!

"Teaching people a lesson" more like trying to make themselves feel better after letting 2 people die on our roads because they rarely do speed checks

Jesus would you cop the f*ck on! How can they stop two lads racing?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    That sounds very unrealistic tbh,if that's the reason they were out then they'd be out at night,not during the day when the people who were involved in that aren't out!!

Are you actually serious about that?! Do you think those lad's only decidie to go out and speed around whe the weather's fine?! Far from it,they go out at night when there's less car's on the road so they have a clearer run!!!
    That accident the other day/night was caused by two sh1ts racing each other on that road cause it's a long enough stretch!

And to everyone else the guards are always out arounfdthe Lea Rd nothing to do with that accident!!!

1 - i was talking to one of the guards sons and asking about the accident. He told me there has been a push put on them to check for lads speeding.

2 - of course the good weather is going to encourage lads who are fond of their cars to clean them up and bring them out for a spin. i know plenty of lads who thrive on the good weather and love it so they can get there cars cleaned up and head off for a spin (all of which are are young lads).
    When did i say people dont speed at night?

by the way how did you hear that there was two lads racing/ have you proof of that or is it just hear say?

Can I just say as well on the weather vs driving fast argument that often, even generally careful drivers put the foot down a little when the weather is good. It puts you in a more carefree mood, windows are down, roof is open and you have the radio on and it's easy to sit 10/20/30k's over the limit on some roads. I'm not condoning/non-condoning this, but it is a fact.

I would love to see the guards in all area's being more vigorous when it comes to policing the roads. When you see how the traffic cops in the UK act when they see tailgating/erratic driving/or just something that doesn't 'seem' right about a car or a driver they tend to act on it. I've driven for 24 years and rarely see the traffic corp in action here other than to check tax or hold a hairdryer... I have lived in Port for 5 years and driven up and down to Dublin 5 days a week for that time so would spend a fair bit of time on the roads and I think that the car driver is 100% responsible for their own and other's safety, but the roads need policing for those that don't think the same way as me..

Jesus would you cop the f*ck on! How can they stop two lads racing?!

They can't stop two people racing but if they had even an idea that the Gardai could be around the next corner they probably wouldn't be racing. (if they were racing, don't know the details of the accident)

The Gardai "Teaching people a lesson" is a little to late. The people that needed to be taught a lesson are paying dearly for their actions now. The Gardai clamping down on speeding is a good thing but it should of been happening the whole time.

It reminds me of the case of the drive by shooting. Their are detectives around town now on a regular basis. They have checkpoints and drug searches on a regular basis. It seem that they wait for something to happen rather than realising that their is a potential problem and dealing with it before anything happens

They can't stop two people racing but if they had even an idea that the Gardai could be around the next corner they probably wouldn't be racing. (if they were racing, don't know the details of the accident)

The Gardai "Teaching people a lesson" is a little to late. The people that needed to be taught a lesson are paying dearly for their actions now. The Gardai clamping down on speeding is a good thing but it should of been happening the whole time.

It reminds me of the case of the drive by shooting. Their are detectives around town now on a regular basis. They have checkpoints and drug searches on a regular basis. It seem that they wait for something to happen rather than realising that their is a potential problem and dealing with it before anything happens
    thats caled typical irish behavior kikel! ;)

• Advertisement

1 - i was talking to one of the guards sons and asking about the accident. He told me there has been a push put on them to check for lads speeding.

2 - of course the good weather is going to encourage lads who are fond of their cars to clean them up and bring them out for a spin. i know plenty of lads who thrive on the good weather and love it so they can get there cars cleaned up and head off for a spin (all of which are are young lads).
    When did i say people dont speed at night?

by the way how did you hear that there was two lads racing/ have you proof of that or is it just hear say?
    I know the people involved and the circumstance surrounding it....and from what I know so do most of Port!!!
    They can't stop two people racing but if they had even an idea that the Gardai could be around the next corner they probably wouldn't be racing.

So what you expect everyone to feel like the Gardai are around every cornor?! Be a bit realistic,no police force in the world could have that affect! If you drive yourself you should know yourself the places where guards will be,on that stretch of road it's not somewhere where tey could be pulled in!!!

I know the people involved and the circumstance surrounding it....and from what I know so do most of Port!!!

So what you expect everyone to feel like the Gardai are around every cornor?! Be a bit realistic,no police force in the world could have that affect! If you drive yourself you should know yourself the places where guards will be,on that stretch of road it's not somewhere where tey could be pulled in!!!

i know people who came on it but never heard there was lads racing. i would use the word allegedly in that case just to be safe!

I have been pulled before for tax and insurance at the golf links. My brother got a speeding fine at mick moores before and i know they have been pulling for speeding and drink driving there a lot at the golf links. i know that because i drive that road very regularly. that didnt deter anyone speeding.

anyways im done discussing this matter over the internet. its not fair on any friend or family of the victims if they happen to be members of boards.

Of course i don't expect them to be around every corner. But their is very few traffic checks done by the Gardai around portarlington. If they did more and did them in places other than the usual spots it would make people think twice about acting the maggot.

Last weekend i seen the Waterford Gardai in some very imaginative places. Places that you would expect a Guard to be as their is very little room to pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

noway curvy?! oh my goodness. its unreal how people drive lately! there was another crash on m50?? there was only 1 2 weeks ago northbound aswell. for flips sake you would swear it was the autobahn in germany the speeds some people do on it!

You'd also swear they werent doing roadworks and didnt have 60kph signs up everywhere either. The speed I see some people going up there is crazy. You'd think some of them are trying to get a high score on the sign that tells you your speed. Idiots. :(

i know people who came on it but never heard there was lads racing

God that's amazing,cause people I know who came on it know for fact that they were!!!
    I have been pulled before for tax and insurance at the golf links. My brother got a speeding fine at mick moores before and i know they have been pulling for speeding and drink driving there a lot at the golf links. i know that because i drive that road very regularly. that didnt deter anyone speeding.

The Golf Club is at the end of that stretch of road,where most people would be slowing anyway cause that's a corner that can't be taken at high speed!

But their is very few traffic checks done by the Gardai around portarlington. If they did more and did them in places other than the usual spots it would make people think twice about acting the maggot.

That's not true,between myself,friends and family someone's getting stopped every week. It's only in the last while that port has got a second squad. Most of the heckpoints set up in Port are by the Portlaoise Gardai anyway as the all change around to avoid hassle! Where do you want them to do it,the old Canal Rd with a low level of traffic,the Bog Rd,out in Derrylea?!?! They do it in the 'usual spots' cause that's where the high level of traffic is! When they do have checkpoints set up Port is a small enough place for the word to spread!

And like most police speed traps you can see them from a good distance back,which ,means people do see them and slow down...not just something that happens in Port!!

Kmart6,
    I spend alot of time driving into, out of, around portarlington a number of times a day with work. I have only seen 1 speedcheck since last August. So yeah i think their are not enough checkpoints around portarlington. Maybe i'm just good at avoiding them!!

I also think that yes they should patrol the roads you listed (not sure exact locations) as it was one of these type of roads where the accident happened. not the lea road.
    Yes the greatest volume of traffic is on the lea road. But (i don't have statistics) that is probably the safest road in town. The purpose of speed checks should not be to create revenue but to make the roads safer

See ye all tomorrow, i'm off out to enjoy the sunshine with a few cold beers.

The fact you expect the roads I listed to be patrolled just shows that all you seem to do is drive on these roads and not actually know them! Two cars can barely meet on the bog rd/lane...and usually there's some stupid b1tch coming down it after dropping the kids to school that doesn't seem to understand if she'd pull in it would help! So don't think it's possible for them to patrol it!

The fact you expect the roads I listed to be patrolled just shows that all you seem to do is drive on these roads and not actually know them! Two cars can barely meet on the bog rd/lane...and usually there's some stupid b1tch coming down it after dropping the kids to school that doesn't seem to understand if she'd pull in it would help! So don't think it's possible for them to patrol it!

kmart6, I don't know you but my God you seem to have issues! I think that the stupid b1tch comment is a bit pathetic and just shows your immaturity tbh. There are good drivers and bad drivers and both of those come from a full pool of humans ~ male and female. Maybe when you grow up you will learn this.... You seem to just be intent on prolonging an argument with various members about nothing at all really. From what I can see everyone agree's that people in general should drive more safely and the police should patrol more. I'm not sure what the aggresion in your replies is all about but why not think a bit more before you type!

• Advertisement

kmart6, why not think a bit more before you type!

Well Said!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement