Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Robins

Options
  • 14-05-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

I put in a row of these 2 years ago and they have grown nicely at this stage, most of them have one vertical shoot that is around the height I want the hedge to be at eventually.

My question is should I top them this year or wait until next year. I want them to branch out more sideways to form more of a solid hedge, is it worth trimming the front of them this year as well as they have bushed out somewhat.

Basically any advice on how to persuade the individual plants to become a hedge would be welcome.

Best regards, B.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Start trimming now if they are just reaching desired height. This will encourage them to bush out as well as keeping it under control. As regards width, this regulates itself to a certain extent - common sense applies - can't be too savage on 'em.
    As a matter of interest, what height have they reached? I'm trying to do same with a line planted in middle of winter. The site is exposed and they got took one hell of a beating! Not sure they are tough enough for the site but the next 12 months will tell all..

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I think they are in and around the 2 meter mark, tall enough for my needs at least. I planted them in May and they grew a little in the first twelve months, in the last twelve months they have really started to grow. Appear to be tough buggers I live in an area that fairly windy most the time as it overlooks a valley not a bother on them apparently.

The back side of them is well sheltered though as the nice man next door planted lleyandi.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

They'll grow to 3m and not much more. They are vigorous plants. I have one that is quite a few years old and was getting out of control so I trimmed it back a lot. I'm not sure if it will survive. Since I trimmed it, a lot of leaves have turned yellow. So if you are going to trim it, take it easy in case it reacts like mine........

Advertisement