Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cant get BB but my neighbours can!!!

Options
  • 14-05-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I cannot get BB but my neighbours can and they live about 250yards from me!! Does anyone have any experience of this? Or any suggestions as to what i can do? the neighbours that have BB are around 6 miles from our exchange and I was under the impression that this was too far for BB coverage, but it seems its not!!
    its really very frustrating!!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Use the search function.. This question is asked all the time.

If your neighbours are 6 miles from the exchange i'd be surprised if they have DSL based broadband and if they did im sure its not better than 256Kbit. You sure they don't have wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

no they def have dsl bb, even when i check their numbers online they all say their lines are bb capable. they all have the 1mg package but i dunno of their actually speeds. although 256k would be much better than 26k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

irishboyuk wrote: »
    no they def have dsl bb, even when i check their numbers online they all say their lines are bb capable. they all have the 1mg package but i dunno of their actually speeds. although 256k would be much better than 26k.

If thats your dialup speed then your on a split line. Splitters are a no-no for broadband. Your only hope is to get Eircom to remove you from the splitter. They probably won't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

kaizersoze wrote: »
    If thats your dialup speed then your on a split line. Splitters are a no-no for broadband. Your only hope is to get Eircom to remove you from the splitter. They probably won't though.

I wouldn't immediately assume he is on a split line because he is getting 26k on dialup, if his neighbours are 6 miles away from the exchange and he is another 250 or 400 yards (depending on which of his threads you are looking at) its perfectly possible that thats all he is getting on his own copper pair.

To OP, I would start looking for alternatives because its VERY unlikely you will be able to receive broadband on that line in the foreseeable future at least. Even when Eircom upgrades to ADSL2+ and they can provide broadband a few meters further its still unlikely that you will be able to get it. That fact that your neighbours have it at 6 miles is in itself pretty rare and I would assume they would only have 256kbits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Are you sure you're both on the same exchange? Enter your number, and your neighbours, on the line checker on www.smarttelecom.ie and it'll tell you what exchange you're on. See if they are the same, as just because you're neighbours, doesn't mean you'll be on the same one. 6 miles i pretty much too far for DSL, but lets just assume the neighbour is right on the edge, then you are very likely just over the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishboyuk

Yeah we are all on the same exchange. does anyone know when the speed increases are to be implemented?

Spoke to eircom today, and the guy i spoke to said that he would send out a technician to look at the line etc to find out the reason for not being able to get BB.. so hopfully will have news in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I have the same problem and my neighbours in the same building have it :(

I'm shocked that they're sending out a technician specifically to see why Broadband won't work. They sent out a technician to fix my line but that was because it wouldn't work at all after the initial install. He told me to wait a few days and broadband would work after the database was updated.

He lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I'm in the same boat too unfortunately. I'm stuck with Three. :(

It really is despicable. I've been using the internet for the last 14 years but I've never been able to get DSL or a decent broadband service in my home which has even changed location several times.

Why are the government not forcing Eircom to resolve this issue within a set period of time or be made to face the consequence of having to sell off ownership of the public telephone network to a third party or the government itself. Maybe they have already? Enlighten me. I wonder would things have been better under
    Telecom Éireann.

I can empathise with people who live in the middle of nowhere and can be certain of not having DSL for a very long time, they should be taken care of, they really should but I live 10 minutes walk from the IFSC for crying out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I had the same problem. I was originally on a bundled/group line and could only manage about 10kbs on dial-up.

What I had to do was order ISDN to get off the group line. Eircom have to take you off a group-line if you order ISDN, but not BB. Then once I got ISDN in my line was compatible and I got it replaced with BB.

This option wasn't cheap, but as I depend on BB for work, it was the only option available to me.

• Advertisement

What I had to do was order ISDN to get off the group line. Eircom have to take you off a group-line if you order ISDN, but not BB. Then once I got ISDN in my line was compatible and I got it replaced with BB.

Can we get some rough figures on how much this cost you and information about the contract? Were you locked into it for 12 months? There are many different packages on their site but I don't know whether to be checking home, business, FRA, BRA (eircom business broadband costs the same as home but only with business are there no caps), their PDF pricing documents are borked and I saw one that said there was a once off install fee of €2,200...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

IWhat I had to do was order ISDN to get off the group line. Eircom have to take you off a group-line if you order ISDN, but not BB. Then once I got ISDN in my line was compatible and I got it replaced with BB.

That used to work but they don't seem to be falling for it anymore. Also, if they're isn't any spare copper in the area they'll refuse the ISDN order. Worth a try though.
    LA3G wrote:
    Can we get some rough figures on how much this cost you

If you do it right it won't cost you anything. This is how it used to work.
    You order ISDN. Once they've accepted the order you keep an eye on your dialup speed. Once you see it jump in speed it means the line work is done. At this point you promptly cancel the ISDN order, leave it a day or two, then order your broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I ordered ISDN about 3 years ago so as to at leasat get 128k. Nothing else was available. They had been telling me for 5 years that the answers to my problems was ISDN.

Anyway nothing happened so I rang again.

They had cancelled the order without telling me because there was no unused ISDN cards at the exchange (Digital Exchanges are natively ISDN, the analogue line cards actually cost more). They would not do ISDN unless there was enough orders to justifiy a new shelf. Small Village. 900m cable from exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It could be simply a a bad line no? Thats what I have. As the phone works fine for calls they won't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

You order ISDN. Once they've accepted the order you keep an eye on your dialup speed. Once you see it jump in speed it means the line work is done. At this point you promptly cancel the ISDN order, leave it a day or two, then order your broadband.
    Hmmm...in my particular experience an Eircom engineer came out to hook up the ISDN box in the house. Watching an hour of his head scratching I knew that it was slowly dawning on him that I was on a group line. I played completely dumb when he told me what I already knew what the problem was.

He popped down to the local exchange, look my line out of the bundle and hey presto.

Everything was done in that one day, so canceling wouldn't have been an option.

I can understand how Eircom might have gotten wise to this, but I remember someone on here saying that Eircom have a legal obligation under the regulator to install ISDN anywhere in the state. This could just well be an old wives' tale.

I remember someone on here saying that Eircom have a legal obligation under the regulator to install ISDN anywhere in the state. This could just well be an old wives' tale.

If it is an old wives' tale why have not as yet the powers that be implemented a similar policy for broadband? If it is an old wives' tale can I assume they will upgrade a line for ISDN and not for broadband because the former makes them a fortune? I put a question not unlike this among others to you yesterday, could you please answer them?

The first thing I thought when I logged on here this evening was how I was meant to ring Eircom earlier and find out for myself.

Advertisement