Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Backwards Compatible ?

• 14-05-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new PC & am weighing up the pros & cons of sticking with Vista as it comes with the PC or getting XP reloaded.

I have some devices (mp3 player/digital camera etc) as well as software which requires XP ... Will these work on Vista?

I've never used Vista, so I'm very familiar with XP.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mully wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm in the market for a new PC & am weighing up the pros & cons of sticking with Vista as it comes with the PC or getting XP reloaded.

I have some devices (mp3 player/digital camera etc) as well as software which requires XP ... Will these work on Vista?

Cheers.

Hard to tell if you don't tell us what the devices are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Check the manufacturer's website for updates.
    Digital camera & MP3 player - a card reader will work with (nearly) all OS' = camera sorted, at any rate. MP3 player = depends on the player (and whether there are updates for it, or alternative software, etc.)
    There is a compatibility mode for executables in Vista, like in XP - it has limited success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Hi,
    I have vista have all the items you have and have never had a problem with it on my laptop with sp1 installed. So id go with vista but no doubt some vista basher will be along soon to tell you about their woes with vista. Friends and family also use it no problems. Anything i plug into it has worked and most fo them i had lost the driver cds and vista just automatically got them online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Vista is a loada ******!!!! Dont use Vista!!

Haha only messin.... I wasnt sure about gettin vista at christmas, I was going out of my way to try and get a laptop with XP. But in the end I went with Vista and now I love it!! The only software that didnt work for me was a crappy dvd writer i bought for 2 euro that required windows 2000... it ran on my XP though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Check their websites for drivers.

Not having a dig at you but they've had plenty of time now, if the manufacturers aren't supporting vista they suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Sherifu wrote: »

Not having a dig at you but they've had plenty of time now, if the manufacturers aren't supporting vista they suck.

This ^.

Unless you have seriously old or cheap/rubbish devices they'll all be supported... I haven't come across anything that hasn't worked with Vista yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Beware if you've got a lexmark printer. Those bastards refused to write vista drivers for loads of their stuff - trying to force people to buy a new piece of crap from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

I have EMTP simulation software on my week-old Vista laptop. The software itself is a 1 year old GUI ontop of a 13 year old program from the Win 95 era (It still runs on a Win 95 machine in it's current form too) which in itself is built on top of a CLI program built for the DOS era, which was first released in the mid eighties coded in FORTRAN (All CAPS FORTRAN TOO), and started out life as a project sometime in the seventies.

One thing Microsoft are good at is backwards compatibility. I can still run this thing in a Terminal if I need to, I can do all sorts of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mully

Sherifu wrote: »

Cheers.

Main concern was the MP3 players, but they are recent devices, Creative Zens. I was running Win2000 when I purchased them, only to find out the software was XP only.

Vista had just been released at the time, & XP had been discontinued, obviously I was unsure of Vista at the time as it had just been released. I had great fun in Peats as the Assistant told me there was no way in hell I'd get an XP upgrade at the time as it was all Vista Vista Vista. I had seen it in Dundrum the day before. I bought it Dundrum that day ... I really felt like going back to Peats for a bit of 'Hate to say I told you so'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Stephen wrote: »
    Beware if you've got a lexmark printer. Those bastards refused to write vista drivers for loads of their stuff - trying to force people to buy a new piece of crap from them.

never had an issue with mine.

havent actually had any device issues with vista.

Creative Labs would likely support all of its products. especially Zens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I had great fun in Peats as the Assistant told me there was no way in hell I'd get an XP upgrade at the time as it was all Vista Vista Vista. I had seen it in Dundrum the day before. I bought it Dundrum that day ... I really felt like going back to Peats for a bit of 'Hate to say I told you so'
    Normally when the store manager backs something the staff will try to push it onto the customer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    Creative Labs would likely support all of its products. especially Zens.
    Google for Daniel_K

http://forums.americas.creative.com/creativelabs/board/message?board.id=soundblaster&thread.id=116332&view=by_date_ascending&page=1
    thread with 226 pages of bitching about creative's lack of drivers and the quality of the ones they have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

My zen works fine on vista and has done since rc1.

Creative have disabled some things in drivers to try force people to buy newer hardware though which may be what the bitching is about. Aint gonna read that thread so can't say really what they complaining about :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yes, the Daniel_K fiasco is about how Creative deliberately crippled their Audigy Vista drivers to try and make people upgrade. Daniel_K hacked the drivers to make them fully functional on Vista and Creative got shirty about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Stephen wrote: »
    Yes, the Daniel_K fiasco is about how Creative deliberately crippled their Audigy Vista drivers to try and make people upgrade. Daniel_K hacked the drivers to make them fully functional on Vista and Creative got shirty about it :rolleyes:

A disgrace, they even threatened him with legal action.

Infringed their intellectual property rights, indeed. That apples if you have intelligence, and working property.

Advertisement