Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection speed has dropped (UTV)

Options
  • 14-05-2008 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am on the 2mb package with UTV. Lately I have been keeping an eye on my connection/line stats to see if the famous Eircom ADSL2 upgrades happens in my local exchange. I noticed yesterday that my connection speed has dropped: the modem said it was synching at 1402Kb/s down, whereas the last time I looked it was reporting 2024Kb/s down. Upload speed has not changed (256Kb/s I think it was).

Am wondering what could have caused that?, a friend here at work thinks I just need to restart my modem, I'll give it a try this evening but I doubt the modem is the problem.

The line stats are poor btw, so another theory is that someone has rest my connection to the lines optimal speed (I doubt that theory even more!)

Any ideas? should I give UTV a ring?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The modem will sync at the best possible speeds at the time based on the line stats, as your friend says try restarting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am on the 2mb package with UTV. Lately I have been keeping an eye on my connection/line stats to see if the famous Eircom ADSL2 upgrades happens in my local exchange. I noticed yesterday that my connection speed has dropped: the modem said it was synching at 1402Kb/s down, whereas the last time I looked it was reporting 2024Kb/s down. Upload speed has not changed (256Kb/s I think it was).

Am wondering what could have caused that?, a friend here at work thinks I just need to restart my modem, I'll give it a try this evening but I doubt the modem is the problem.

The line stats are poor btw, so another theory is that someone has rest my connection to the lines optimal speed (I doubt that theory even more!)

Any ideas? should I give UTV a ring?

Thanks
    Yeah, I'm on the 3Mb package but I'm only getting 2Mb, upload is fine. Resetting the router has no effect. To be honest its not effecting me that much at the minute. Might give them a call to see whats going on....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yarnhall wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm on the 3Mb package but I'm only getting 2Mb, upload is fine. Resetting the router has no effect. To be honest its not effecting me that much at the minute. Might give them a call to see whats going on....

If your modem is connecting at less than what you are paying for 99% of the time it will be because of your line stats and ringing them will do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

If your modem is connecting at less than what you are paying for 99% of the time it will be because of your line stats and ringing them will do nothing.

If syncing is the problem they won't be able to fix it for you but you might be better downgrading to the 1mb package and save yourself some money. I'd assume the line would be more stable as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Well I restarted the modem and synced at 2Mb again so thanks for your help/comments.

Yeah the line stats are poor, hopefully I will see some improvement when Eircom upgrade.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Yeah, I know, more so to find out if there's anything going on with the exchange, Smart have my one down for upgrade May/June. I've been lucky (touch wood), never had a problem with them in the 18 months I've been with them.

Advertisement