Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paye tax refund for a student? Help needed

• 14-05-2008 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all, I am a 17 year old student and have been working part time for the last two years. I recently recieved a tax credit certificate in the post not so long ago and was told that I can claim tax credits. And being excited at the thought of money like all the other broke students, decided to investigate further. I registered on revenue.ie, verified my details and so on but when it comes to getting a refund on the site im totally lost and literally going in circles.

Any help or advice at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭dooloo

go to www.revenue.ie and click on 'contact locater' at bottom right of screen. put your PPS number in to this and it will give you the phone number for your PAYE district. Ring this and ask for your P21 balancing statement to be issued to you in the post for the last few years.

This will detail any tax due to you and will probably enclose a cheque for same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Will do, thanks a mill for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

I'm in a similar boat to Luke, meaning i'm a broke student claiming tax back.

I sent away my forms (P45 and some other one) and got my money put into my bank account yesterday. The problem is that I didn't get quite as much as expected, I thought I was going to get all my PAYE tax back but I only got most of it (just under 90%, going by how much my P45 had said i'd paid).

Because I worked so much last summer the 10% is actually a fairly sizeable figure. Does anyone know if I am entitled to it back?

Any help is appreciated,
    S.h.2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Because I worked so much last summer the 10% is actually a fairly sizeable figure. Does anyone know if I am entitled to it back?

It might help by telling us how much you earned!? what tax credits do you have, paye and single person? anything else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

How could 10% of your PAYE from a summer job be a sizeable amount?

Even if you earned €20,000 and had no other credits it would only be €48*

Are you sure you don't have some other form of income? Some sort of pension or allowance? Did you work part-time during the year?

I'm actually interested to know how much you earned that summer (and what you were doing!)

*Disclaimer: That was a quick calculation and might be wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Ok i think its time to bring this thread back from the dead. so i called them up as dooloo suggested and i was told that i am not entitled to any money back at all!.. wat the hell, why do i have tax credits then?! They are just teasing me.. am i being conned here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

luke999 wrote: »
    Ok i think its time to bring this thread back from the dead. so i called them up as dooloo suggested and i was told that i am not entitled to any money back at all!.. wat the hell, why do i have tax credits then?! They are just teasing me.. am i being conned here?

Hi Luke - depends on how much you earned and how much tax you paid.

Have you a P60 or P45 from the year in question? Drop us a pm with details if you want me to give it a quick look over for you....

Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

luke999 wrote: »
    Me thinks thou misinterprets teh word "credit"

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Stoned Hippy

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead (again) but I forgot to subscribe to it and wasn't checking it.
    Newaglish wrote: »
    How could 10% of your PAYE from a summer job be a sizeable amount?

Even if you earned €20,000 and had no other credits it would only be €48*

I was expecting about €4,000 back but only got €3,555. I earned about €10,000. I worked for every second I could during the college holidays (June, July, August and the first week of October) minus 6 weeks which I took off for my holiday.

I didn't work at all for the rest of the year. I work every summer and i've just started back. I paid €144 PAYE and €42 PRSI last week out of a gross pay of €786. Should I be paying less PAYE? I think I have done in previous years. Working 12 and 13 hour days 6 days a week are a lot easier when you're not paying tax!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Okay,

the whole idea that students are tax exempt is a misnomer- doesn't exist.

what happens is that their tax usually doesn't exceed the credit thresehold and they are paying no PAYE for those three months effectively. If you started work in May for example you have all your credits Jan-April to be applied. Have a look at your balancing statement- add up the credits and if they are greater than 20% of your income you're going to be PAYE exempt.

If the credits are less than 20% of your income you're going to suffer a charge to tax and it's just tough- welcome to the world. However did you know you can also reclaim your PRSI paid if your income is below a certain level?

For 2004 & 05 Weekly Income between €38-€287 is exempt from PRSI or € 14,924 per annum

For 2006 Weekly Income between €38-€300 is exempt from PRSI or € 15,600 per annum

For 2007 Weekly Income between €38-€339 is exempt from PRSI or € 17,628 per annum

Unfortunately you cannot go back further than 4 years so those summer jobs from 03 and 02 will have to remain a distant memory.

To reclaim this PRSI back complete the following Form:

http://www.welfare.ie/forms/prsiref1.pdf

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement